This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haha! Caller ID strikes again!

It's not often that I get a crappy customer via phone. Usually they like to stand right in front of me.

Ten minutes ago an older lady called asking if I have +1.25 Readers glasses. Usually, I do, so I went and checked, but I'm out of that strength.

Me: Obviously
    OL: Older Lady

Me: It seems we're out of that strength right now, but-
    OL: I was there two weeks ago and you were out then too! -=click=-

I hang up thinking what the hell was that about? We're not the only people who carry these. So I scroll down to her number and call back.

And leave a message as sweet as I can be.

Me: Hi! This is FenigDurak from the gift shop. We just spoke about the +1.25 reading glasses. I'm fairly certain that places like Target, Walgreens and K-Mart frequently carry a wider selection of these glasses than I can carry. I'm sure if you tried one of those stores, you'd have better luck. Have a good day!

That's nothing I wouldn't have told her had she not hung up on me.

I get a call back two minutes later:

Me: Gift shop, this is FenigDurak, how can I help you?
    OL: ...
    Me: Hello?
    OL: Yes. Who is this?
    Me: (Shouldn't you know? You called me twice!) This is the Gift Shop at such and such hospital.
    OL: Ok. Who are you?
    Me: FenigDurak.
    OL: Good. -=click=-

Ha. There isn't anything in that message, or in my tone that could possibly get me in trouble.

Weird. How is it people don't think of caller ID? Sometimes I wished we had it when I was in the store, for those occasions when I was helping a nice customer and accidentally got cut off. Then I could have called them right back instead of hoping they would call back and manage to get me again. And for the sucky customers, I'd know what calls not to answer

They sell those glasses at most bookstores, too; probably have a better selection...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We get that a lot for customers that supposedly moved out of the country. A friend of mine at work made this phony news article one day about the entire state of California being stolen by pirates and annexed by China because he had like 10 calls that day from people who claimed to have moved to China but were calling from California numbers.
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Beware of relying on phone numbers to determine the location of the person calling.

Cell phones and portability of numbers is really making a mess of that sort of thing. We have an office in TN, but the cell phone used by the guy who runs the place is still registered with a California number.

Also, there is a robust business in the selling of US-based phone numbers to overseas companies so that their US customers don't have to make an international call to reach them. We have one customer that I can remember off the top of my head that is based in the UK and their business numbers are mostly US-based lines. (They list as being in NJ if you look them up)

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's interesting. With our service, if you need a phone number we can only give you a number in the sub-market you live in. Now if you move and don't want to change the number that's fine, but if you live in Florida and want a New York phone number, the system won't allow it.
          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
          X