Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No, You Can't Study on the Floor. Not Yours.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, You Can't Study on the Floor. Not Yours.

a couple of girls got all pissed off when they were asked to move so the carpet people could set up for the overnight. they were sprawled on the floor with their homework and shit everywhere, blocking traffic and generally being a nuisance. how dare we ask them to move! tell the workers to carpet around us! they demanded to know where else they could go to study. not my concern, chief.

sounds like a job for the mbulance. seriously, go to a damn library. or your house. i guess i should be thankful they didn't bring pillows and blankets like i've seen some people who are "studying" do.
    Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

An alarming number of people have trouble telling the difference between "mine" and "not mine."

I had neighbors (since moved) who thought I was a bitch because I objected to the them parking in my driveway ("well, you weren't using it") and having picnics on my lawn ("my grass is too tall and you just mowed yours").

And every time I made them move, they would ask that same question your SCs did, "Where am I supposed to park/have my picnic?"

Why do they think we have to figure that out for them?
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
      I had neighbors (since moved) who thought I was a bitch because I objected to the them parking in my driveway ("well, you weren't using it") and having picnics on my lawn ("my grass is too tall and you just mowed yours").
      Picnics on YOUR lawn?

Oohhh man that would've set me off big time. I would've threatened shove the blanket someplace really painful.
      Last edited by MadMike; 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
        Why do they think we have to figure that out for them?
        But, but, but, Dips, aren't you GOD???? (-;
        I'm sorry to inform you that my capacity to care has taken a plunge, much like the popularity of Tom Cruise after his "you don't know the history of psychiatry" rant on national TV.

Comment

Oooh Dips you know what you should have done for the uninvited picnic: hide a sprinkler system under the lawn grass and turn it on once the squatters show

And as far as "waah where should I park my car?" Answer: "I believe there's plenty of space at the local impound lot."

In the should-be-immortal words of Toby Mcguire, "I missed the part where that's my problem."
          Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
            I'm pretty sure that's trespassing. In fact, I recently watched my own SC neighbours leave and while they weren't having picnics on my lawn, they were annoying enough (broke 2 sprinklers by driving their hummer on the lawn while making an illegal u-turn). Personally, Dips, I would have let them stay there and called the cops and said that some vagrants were trespassing and you were going to press charges.
            Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Not to worry. The first time it happened we were too stunned to say anything.

The second time we asked them to move and got the above excuse and the whiny demand to find an alternative. But they moved.

The third time Mr. Dips was overcome with a sudden urge to mow the lawn. He carefully aimed the thrower and fired it up. They moved.

The fourth time...there wasn't a fourth time.

Back to the OP. Maybe firing up the rug shampooer would "help" the kids sprawled on your floor move elsewhere.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                Picnics on YOUR lawn?
                And parking on her driveway.

I think that the legal terminology for that case would be "possesion is 9/10th of the law"

As for the problem that B&NGoddess had, might I recommend carpeting over them? Think of them as a speed bumb for people running in the store.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I get so annoyed when patrons decide to sit on the floor in the middle of the stacks. It is so rude.

Comment

Quoth bannedanna View Post
                    If someone parks in your driveway, give them one warning.
                    Where I live, if there's an event at the school less than a block away, it's common for idiots to park all the way around the circle...even in front of driveways. Most people, if they park there, they're careful not to block any driveways. I have no problem with them--parking at the school sucks. However, for the ones that aren't careful, they deserve what they get. Sorry, but if I can't get out, the cops *will* be called, and the car *will* be towed. Not only will they have to walk home, but they'll get hit with massive towing and impound fees.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I had neighbors (since moved) who thought I was a bitch because I objected to the them parking in my driveway ("well, you weren't using it")
                      Oh, you are singing my song! I live in a condo. I have two parking spaces. I only have one truck. My friends use the extra space when they visit. Otherwise, I leave it empty. I paid for the condo and two spots. Mine. Easy enough, right?

My neighbors have 4 adults in their condo. They have 4 cars. Only 2 spaces. Guess who's extra spot they park in so that my friends have to park in the plaza's parking lot ACROSS the street when they visit. Right. The spot that Not Theirs.

I can't, for the life of me, explain to them WHY I need them to stay out of my extra spot.

To the Original Poster:
                      they demanded to know where else they could go to study.
                      Hand 'em a map. Let them figure it out.

Hint: Begins with an L. Ends with Ibrary.
                      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

OfficeSlug, as with the owner of a house, you can have the offending car towed.

You pay rent on it, so it is your property. I would put up a removable "violators will be towed" sign that states that the parking is for your aparment only and I would then act on it.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

They're picnicking on your lawn because their grass is too long? And they want you to tell them what else they should do? Um, how 'bout mow your damn lawn?!
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

OT: I never got the 'possession is 9/10th's of the law' thing. Someone explain?
                            Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                              OT: I never got the 'possession is 9/10th's of the law' thing. Someone explain?

My Google-fu is strong: "Adverse Possession"

The idea is that if a piece of property is openly held by someone for a period of time, and they act like it is theirs long enough, and no one objects, they get to keep it. The two most common variations are "Homesteading" (where unowned land is settled and maintained for a period until it is claimed by those who have settled there) and "Squatter's Rights" (in which legally owned, but neglected or abandoned property is taken over by another party, for a long enough period of time that they can legitimately be said to be in control of it).

These are basic principles of land ownership. Of course, people who don't grok legalese have pretty much trampled the concept with the 'possession is 9/10ths' thing--it doesn't apply to anything other than land, and possession generally takes years, if not decades, to take hold.

Comment

Working...
                              X