Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As with Hemily in Norway, Australia sets its limit for alcohol and cigarette purchase at 18. This can be annoying when travelling to America, and in return it isn't pretty when a group of frat boys on exchange or whatever come over here and get blasted. I've seen a number spend a night in the cells for public nuisance after a night out with their newly-discovered freedom.

In difference to some other countries though, Australians can obtain a learner's driving licence at 16 years. This licence must be held for a period of 12 months or untill 120 hours of practice has been accumulated- then onto the 2 provisional licences for another 2 years. Learner drivers cannot be under the influence of any alcohol, nor can provisional drivers. Open licenced drivers are permitted a BAC of 0.08% (8mL of alcohol in 100mL of blood).
    I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
      Muslim cab drivers refusing to pick up passengers carrying alcohol
      When my friend/stalker was serving in Iraq, he wanted me to mail him liquor. Wasn't happening. I'm not mailing something that has to go through customs, to someone in the Army, serving in a place that disapproves of alcohol...especially when the forms I had to fill out required writing on them what was being mailed.
      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
        Strict Muslims consider dogs unclean. I believe it was the Minneapolis airport that had a problem with Muslim cab drivers refusing to pick up passengers carrying alcohol or accompanied by seeing-eye dogs.
        Maybe the same area--cashiers at...Wal-Mart, I think... Anyhoo, they would refuse to scan bacon and such like, because it offends their religious beliefs.

I can see their point, but I'm not going to express my opinion here. I can take it to Fratching.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
          In difference to some other countries though, Australians can obtain a learner's driving licence at 16 years. This licence must be held for a period of 12 months or untill 120 hours of practice has been accumulated- then onto the 2 provisional licences for another 2 years. Learner drivers cannot be under the influence of any alcohol, nor can provisional drivers. Open licenced drivers are permitted a BAC of 0.08% (8mL of alcohol in 100mL of blood).
          Of course, here in the US, most of those laws vary by state, as well. Except for the drinking age, every state has different ages for cigarettes (mostly 18 but some are now 19), driving (17 to get a license in New Jersey), blood alcohol level (.08 in NJ, but it used to be .10), sex (anywhere from probably 14 to 18). Even the drinking age is up to the state; if a state wanted to change it, they could.

When I started driving, you could get a permit at 16, after taking driver's ed (which the school offered sophomore year, a full year before I turned 16), and 6 hours of driving lessons (some schools have actual driving practice but mine didn't; I had to take private lessons). On a permit you had to be with someone who'd had their license for at least (I think) 3 years, and you couldn't drive after dark. Then at 17 you can get your license and that's it...you can do whatever you want. Now there are more restrictions, graduated licensing after you turn 17, restrictions on when you can drive (not after midnight) and even how many passengers you can have (I think you can only have 1 minor passenger if you are driving on a provisional license). All of which I think is a good thing. I did driver's ed and took the written test when I was 15, got my permit a year and a half later on Sept. 30 (the day before my 17th birthday), did my driving lessons over the next week or so, went for my license on Oct. 23, and six months later I wrecked my mom's car, mainly because of a lack of experience. My parents did restrict my driving a bit, but mostly during bad weather. I had my accident on a perfectly dry, sunny day. There was a bad accident a few months ago that killed 3 kids from the local high school and another driver, and seriously injured a 13-year-old, and all those issues came back up around here. For a while, anyway...

Sorry, went a little "off-road," so to speak
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well states used to have different drinking ages but too many dumb teenagers getting themselves killed crossing into and out of these states changed that.

Plus if those states wanted federal funds for roads they had to agree to the age 21 law.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              Yeah, Assholians are the worst. I'd hate to visit their country - imagine what it's like there!!!
              We, who've worked in customer service, don't have to imagine it...we've SEEN it!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                We, who've worked in customer service, don't have to imagine it...we've SEEN it!
                You have dealt with their royalty many times too. You would think their country would be in a state of civil war due to how many Kings they seem to have. They also seem to have a very evanglical clergy that wants to convert you as well. The church and state seem to be one and the same so feel free to say "Yes right away your Assholiness!" when they request the impossible.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                  A lot of foreign exchange students in high school were angry that they couldn't club or drink legally here..........

One asked me how we get our alcohol, and I smirked and said "We find someone who is 21 to get it.........."
                  You guys should come to Australia.

Our legal drinking age is 18
                  Total surrender
                  Your touch is so tender
                  Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                  And it brings me relief
                  "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

In Michigan, a lot of folks who are in their late teens around here tend to go to Canada as the drinking age is 19. Recently they've been starting to crack down on Americans who are not 21 and refusing underage Americans last I heard.

Quoth blas87 View Post
                    A lot of foreign exchange students in high school were angry that they couldn't club or drink legally here..........

One asked me how we get our alcohol, and I smirked and said "We find someone who is 21 to get it.........."
                    When I was in high school I was friends with an exchange student from Germany. A great guy, very intelligent but needed help with our laws. One day him, me, and some other people were hanging out at a buddy's house. We all decided to get something to drink from the fridge, the German immediately reached for the beer in the fridge and we had to stop him and explain to him the drinking age. His reply: "I like it here but man your government is uptight at times." I miss that dude, he was awesome to hang out with.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I for one never understood the 21 drinking law. I mean, 18-20 year olds can go into the military and be trusted with nuclear weapons, stealth planes, nuclear subs and so on, but they can't be trusted with a beer. Also, does anyone here know anyone under 21 who's wanted to drink an adult beverage, and hasn't?

Comment

They get psych exams and rigorous training to be able to play with weapons.

Only parents can train their kids to not be completely irresponsible, and some of them are obviously no managing to pass muster at being responsible themselves.

One of the big reasons on the age for alcohol has to do with driving. Most 20-ish people I know can't manage to drive well while sober, and there's a lot of serious maturing done between 18 and 21.

In most places, you can be given small amounts of alcohol while your underage legally. How much, and at what age varies.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You could not pay me enough to work in a place where SC's are voluntarily getting alcohol. -.-

Comment

Working...
                          X