This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are not responsible for YOUR poor driving (and others) LONG

This week has been amazing for me. I'll start with a truly stupifying incident from today

You don't know how to drive, and it's OUR fault?!

A guy came up to me at the service desk looking for a manager. I called Dan up. This moron had pulled his Audi A8 too far into a parking space right outside the service desk window and struck the low concrete barrier. He claims that he did not realize this until he backed out and tore off his bumper, front license plate and frame, and ripped open his windshield washer fluid reservoir. Clearly, this nitwit never learned how to park properly. And yet HE HELD THE STORE RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

He demanded all manner of information from Dan that Dan didn't have so he could bill OUR insurance for the damage. He didn't understand why Dan didn't know the info right off the top of his head, even though this is something he never has to deal with. It's the responsibility of the Facilities Dept, which is part of the Home Office. Dan calls the district manager, who tells him to fill out form such-and-such.

Dan: OK, I'm going to fill this form out and send it in, but I'm telling you right now I do not consider this to be our responsibility

Idiot: Well surely you have insurance for this sort of thing. YOUR barrier caused damage to my car!

Dan: Yes, but that's not my purview, which is why I need to send this up the line.

In the meantime, the electronics lead used her own personal camera to take pictures of the damage to the guy's car and printed them on a display printer.

I don't know how this is going to play out, but I sure as hell hope that he doesn't get a dime from Staples, AND that his insurance rates go up.

You should give me a price match because I say that's the price!!

This worthy soul threw down a Brother LC41BK ink cartridge and stated that "this is $20.88 at Wal-Mart." Our price: $23.55. He just kinda looked at me as if that was enough for me to give him a 110% price match.

Me: Ok sr, do you have any documentation of that price?

SC: What? I just told you what the price is.

Me: Yes, but in order to do a price mathc, I need to have proof of the price, such as a circular---

SC: It wouldn't BE in the ciruclar! That's their REGULAR price!!!!!

Me: Ok, then mayb---

SC: How about an old receipt?

Me: OK, that would work, or---

SC: The only reason I'm buying it here is because it's out of stock over there.

Aaaaaaaand so we come to the root of the problem, and also the final nail in the coffin.

Me: Ah, well that would be a problem, sir, because in addition to needing proof of hte price, we also have to call them to verify the price AND that it's in stock. Because in order for us to price-match something, you'd have to theorietically be able to buy it there at that price. If it's out of stock, then you couldn't, and therefore we can't do a price guarantee.

SC: THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

Yet, incredibly, he actually bought the ink at our regular price, but not before making a big stink about us not giving him a price match based solely on his word. Moron. Like ANYONE will do that.

You think I'm defrauding you out of $2.06?!?!

Yet another ID check incident. Guy had a card that was signed, but the signature panel was faded to the point of being completely illegible. The purchase was onyl for $2.06, but this os one of those things you really can't compromise on. I asked for ID.

SC: It's in the car [important side note: we're in the middle of a vicious cold snap]

Me: *looks at him pointedly*

SC: It's signed! What, you think I'm trying to defraud you out of $2.06?!

ME: No, but the I can't even see the signature.

SC: *stares at me*

Me: *stares back*

SO he stormed out (WITH HIS UNPAID COPIES!) got his wallet, then stormed back in, trembling with rage, and threw his ID ont he coutner so hard that it bounced up, hit me in the face and landed on the floor. I picked it up, and everything checked out. Without a word he snatched the ID back, then with barely controlled anger made a series of angry slashes all of the PinPad rather than actually signing his name and threw the stylus down.

Me *as nice and polite as possible*: Have a nice day!

And he stormed out again with the GM looking on, confused as to why he was so upset (he hadn't seen the whole thing).

No, I'm not worried that you're attempting to defraud $2.06. I am simply verifying that this is your card both for YOUR protections as well as ours. I should have just told him that if he wants us to not check IDs, then he might as well just accept any and all fraudulent cahrges with a smile. Ass.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I like to put a strip of transparent tape over my credit card signatures, it keeps them from wearing away quite so quickly. Be careful, though, if you try to take the tape back off it'll take the signature strip with it. By the way, is it just me or do they not make bumpers the way they used to?
    You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      Idiot: Well surely you have insurance for this sort of thing. YOUR barrier caused damage to my car!
      Well YOUR car caused damge to our barrier!

I hate those folks who refuse to admit that they are the cause of something. Last winter at the good old chains, some idiot decided to fly right through our barrel blockade, damaging the front end heavily considering the speed they were going at. When they wanted us to do something about it, we laughed and told them that it's not our fault and hilariously enough there happened to be a sign right next to the blockade that was run over.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

RE: damage to car

A general liability claim can be filed to rule out any liability on your companies part. It will be denied though. He will ultimately have to report the accident to his own insurance company and they will hold him 100% accountable. They would even accept liability for any damages to your concrete barrier, if it were indeed damaged.
        "Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches, the
        system and other players in other little groups. Winners assemble as a
        team." Author - Unknown

Comment

If that Staples is anything like every other Staples I've seen, they don't own the parking lot.

I've occasionally run into the low concrete barrier thing when parking. My own fault for not paying attention or misjduging my position. It's never done any damage to my car. How fast was this guy going that it did that much damage to his car? I mean, you're parking, you shouldn't be moving that fast so hitting a barrier should do minimal damage, if any.

Comment

Our barrier was undamaged by this guy's foolishness. Barrier 1, SC 0.

Quoth trunks2k View Post
            How fast was this guy going that it did that much damage to his car? I mean, you're parking, you shouldn't be moving that fast so hitting a barrier should do minimal damage, if any.
            Although this happened right outside my window, I didn't see it, and didn't hear anything either (the windows are pretty thick). I only saw the aftermath. I think it was a combination of his car's relatively low ground clearance AND pulling way too far into the space.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Thanks to the snow, seen plenty of cars slam into curbs, shattering the bumpers. I tapped someone's bumper, and it cost me $1,002. We need bumpers like mine. Chrome-plated steel. Cavalier hit me, put a dent in my bumper, $3,323 worth of damage to her car.
              I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
              less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                No, I'm not worried that you're attempting to defraud $2.06. I am simply verifying that this is your card both for YOUR protections as well as ours. I should have just told him that if he wants us to not check IDs, then he might as well just accept any and all fraudulent cahrges with a smile. Ass.
                Often times, when someone is using a stolen card, they will make small purchases first to see if the card holder notices. You did the right thing!
                -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

something like this happened recently at work; some jackass pulls into the disabled space (no placard or license plate indicating he's allowed to, found out later, yes he can use it, just doesn't display either), pulls up too far into the space (just like dave's genius did), gets pissed because his shiny jag's bumper takes a hit, then proceeds to treat my manager like some lowlife because this moron is too important to watch where he's going.

yes, the barriers often have rebar (shock, gasp) sticking out, however, to actually hit this, one has to be on top of the barrier, something this genius couldn't seem to/want to understand.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                    something like this happened recently at work; some jackass pulls into the disabled space (no placard or license plate indicating he's allowed to, found out later, yes he can use it, just doesn't display either).
                    He'd rather go to court to fight a ticket than just display the proper tags?

My old store once had someone drive into the front wall, which involved crossing a 4-foot wide sidewalk and another 3-4 feet of landscaping. The bushes survived for the most part, but the decorative fake-stone trim below the windows had a foot-wide piece broken off. I don't think the car had any major damage but she's lucky it wasn't real stone on the wall (it was the fake stuff over brick). If she'd gone any further it would have been through a plate glass window, with a row of shelving and the cashwrap on the other side (plus several employees at the time). At least she didn't try to hold the store responsible (and that store does own the parking lot).
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

During the flood last May we had a neighbor swing too close to our mailboxes to avoid a going through the edge of the flood water.

She knocked our mailbox off the stand and scratched the hell out of her paint.

My husband and a neighbor were standing right there when it happened and she was very indignant about their saying something about the mailbox.

"But look at my car. It's got a huge scratch in it!"

I still don't know what she was implying by that statement. That it's OK to damage someone else's property if you also damage your own?

That stationary objects are supposed to know better than to stay in people's way or they'll get what's coming to them?

That flood was fun times.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I hit a neighbor's mailbox, and being nice, owned up and let them know. It was an honest mistake, and I figured I'd apologize, maybe give em a little cash, it'd be over. They ended up asking me for $100 for a new mailbox, which my dad paid, though what I hit was a 7 year old piece of metal on a stick, and what they replaced it with had a little gold name-plate on the front and a shingled roof. Jerks. On a side note, my neighbor gave me for Christmas that year, a picture in a frame of their mailbox-on-a-lawnchair setup, used in the aftermath til the box was replaced.

Also, I've run my car up and over those barriers many a time. I drive a Jetta, which has a low front end, and a "bumper cover" under the bumper, which I've pulled off the car more than once. Only once has the bumper itself come unhinged, and that was after a bad accident, an even worse repair job, and me going over some really bumpy train tracks at high speed. Oops. Yeah, it sucks, but I also realized it was my own fault. I mean, geez. Death of personal repsonsibility much, anyone?
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

By the way, is it just me or do they not make bumpers the way they used to?
                          I've had to stop going in and out a particular driveway at my job. Where the driveway meets the street is at a sharp angle. So my baby ('00 Infiniti G20) has a chunk out of the bottom edge of the front bumper and the holes where it attaches under the hood are completely ripped.

But since I am not a SC, I did not raise hell with the SM next door to my work, nor with the dealership who quoted me $1200 to replace the bumper. Instead I 'ed myself for not paying attention to the *scrrunchkk* sound the FIRST time!

Veering OT, a few weeks ago a regular customer complained in her 'outside' voice that she got a parking ticket.... Mind you the store does not own the property, so really the best one can do is take it up with the company that Does own the lot and therefore issues tickets. Basic rules are.... employees are required to have parking passes, and customer parking is for 2 hours, park Between the lines, etc.... but a lot of people have trouble with these basic concepts.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                            You think I'm defrauding you out of $2.06?!?!

Yet another ID check incident.
                            He's baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

The SAME guy came in today. He came to my register. He had an unsigned credit card. I didn't realize it was him until he pulled the EXACT same stunt with me. Storming out, coming back with his (old) military ID and slamming it down on the counter so hard it bounced to the floor (but did NOT hit me in the face this time).

I realized it was him when he stormed out. When he came back in, I told him calmly and politely:

Me: This is for your own protection sir.

SC: NO IT'S NOT!

*I verify his name and face againt the ID; hand it back*

SC: IF THIS WAS A STOLEN CARD, I WOULD BE BUYING A LOT MORE THAN $6 WORTH IF STUFF!!!!!

Me: Well, sometimes, when someone steals a card, they make small purchases first to see if ti works.

SC: SO YOU'RE SAYING I STOLE IT.

Me: I did not say that sir. Again, this is for your own protection.

SC: AS THAT PROVES ANYTHING!!! I COULD HAVE STOLEN THE ID CARD TOO!!!! AND NOW I KNOW IT'LL WORK FOR HTE NEXT BIG PURCHASE!!.

(And the fact that YOUR PICTURE is on the ID is not relevent? Are you in fact saying that you don't believe IDs can acutally be used to IDENTIFY you?)

*transaction complete*

Me: Have a nice day.

Some people just want to wallow in their own ignorance, I guess. I really despise this moron now.

I made a point of telling the General Manager about this guy. Now that I've seen him a second time, I will remember his name: William [last name withheld for obvious reasons]. The GM said I did the right thing, but that I should have called him over to deal with it. I told him that the whole exchange took under 30 seconds so I didn't have a chance to do that before he left. So he said just to call him over the next time I see him, and if he creates a scene again, he'll deal with it (thank you!).

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Your barrier was in my car's space!
                              I think this guy must expect everything to jump out of his car's way like it's the knight bus from Harry Potter. Maybe "My car was standing still when suddenly the barrier collided right into it!"
                              It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                              -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Working...
                              X