This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide scanning software

With my dad's pending departure (the bastard left my mom back in March), my mom thought that something should be done with the million or so slides that were shot over the past 40 years. Many of these are of my brothers and I when we were children. She would like to keep copies, since she's not sure what he might do with them. Anyway, the scanning program I have (Paperport) doesn't seem to offer slide-scanning ability. I can scan them, sure. But, the resulting images are too small and too grainy to blow up. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have an Epson Workforce WF-3620 scanner.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

I use a device I picked up from the dollar store for this, actually I have a box full of 126 slides and 35mm negatives from 40+ years ago -- family stuff that I've only recently started working on. Innovative Technology Film & Slide Converter (it, and similar devices, are around $25-60 online). It's basically a light bulb under a clear platform that you place the slides (or 35mm negs) on, which then projects it onto a sensor; it hooks to the computer via USB. If you have a ton to scan in, it could be worth it to just use one of those. It's not the fastest method in the world, but the images have been coming out clear for me so far (at least, as clear as 60's-era amateur photos could reasonably be expected to turn out).

If you wanna use your own scanner, maybe see if placing a sheet of bright white paper behind the slide would help?? I think Photoshop is TWAIN-compliant (unsure) if you have it, and may allow for higher scan resolutions. The issue being, does your *scanner* support a higher res, assuming that would help??
    Last edited by EricKei; 09-03-2015, 04:04 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Some scanners have specific support for scanning slides and negatives, which generally means an extra-fine resolution mode and a uniform backlight over a small part of the bed. Generally there'll be a plastic adapter which you use to firmly locate the slide.

If your scanner doesn't have this specific support, I would recommend getting one that does - or even a dedicated "slide scanner". For what sounds like a large and important job, I think that may be worthwhile.

Comment

I second the portable slide scanners (most of them can also do negatives). We got ours from Brookstone, but a lot of "gadget" stores (or maybe photo supply places) should have them.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Best Buy had a slide/negative scanner for about $115 the last time I was down there. The reviews seem pretty good, so I have a feeling what I'll be getting
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Here is a do-it-yourself device that will let you you scan slides on a normal flat bed scanner. I had a commercial version that worked very well.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
            X