X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable HDD reccomendations

Hey ya'll

So I'm looking at getting the BF a portable HDD as a gift, but would like to know what are the most stable/best brands? I've looked at a few, but some reviews were troubling in that the drive became unreadable within +- 4 months.

Budget wise...um...like $100 to $150?
    The report button - not just for decoration

I've had good luck with Western Digital - just make sure it does NOT require it's own power (some do, most don't now).

Also, spend the money and get a nice case for it, too.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      I've had good luck with Western Digital - just make sure it does NOT require it's own power (some do, most don't now).

Also, spend the money and get a nice case for it, too.
      Just be aware for a bus powered one, some laptop ports and front panel ports on a desktop don't provide enough power for some enclosures.

If you get a USB3 drive and have USB3 ports you should be ok.

Comment

Actually, if you can handle simple tools (a screwdriver) generic enclosures for external drives are pretty cheap. Get one of those, and a decent drive to put in it, and it will compare favorably with a "already made" portable drive.

The advantage is that *when* (no if!) the drive eventually starts to fail, you can just open the case and replace it.

Comment

External drives tend to get banged around a bit. The mechanical 'spinning platter' hard drives are sensitive to rough handling; if your budget allows a little extra, you might consider a solid state drive in a sturdy enclosure.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
            Actually, if you can handle simple tools (a screwdriver) generic enclosures for external drives are pretty cheap. Get one of those, and a decent drive to put in it, and it will compare favorably with a "already made" portable drive.
            These are pretty easy to put together. In fact, there's one attached to my desktop machine right now. All it is, is a USB box, that takes an IDE hard drive. IIRC, the box itself was about $40 US. The drive I used...was a "refugee" from work. That is, I pulled it from a computer I was scrapping. While it does have a USB connection, it needs its own power cord. Not really a big deal, since I carry a three-plug power strip in my laptop bag.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

As much as I dislike Western Digital, I must say the two MyPassport drives I have for work have performed pretty well.

The problem of shock with portables has already been mentioned, but the other problem is heat. Heat can be a drive killer, and some portables are better at dissipating it than others, and this will be a concern with "regular" drives mounted in enclosures. As far as I can tell, the MyPassport handles this well, which is probably why they're still working.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

There are only three companies that manufacture HDs. - Seagate, WD, and Toshiba. I've used them all, and I find them all quite reliable overall.

Quoth iradney View Post
                I've looked at a few, but some reviews were troubling in that the drive became unreadable within +- 4 months.
                That's actually expected. Problematic drives tend to fail in the first few months of use. All three manufacturers unknowingly release batches of problematic drives. I would suggest, before loading up the drive with data, run a stress/diagnostics program on the drive. The manufacturer probably has one available for download at its support site. It'll test and stress the drive for a period of time, hopefully uncovering any drive defects.

I wouldn't worry so much about brand. Get something that meets your needs with regard to portability, size, speed, warranty. I generally ignore any included software packages. If this is for use with a gaming console, best do a google search for specific models that work well with the specific console. There are a few that are problematic for that use.

If you want some info on recent failure rates, do a search on Hard Drive Reliability Stats for Q2 Q3 2015 backblaze. These are not tests on the actual portable drives you'll find on retail shelves, but a drive failure report (by manufacturer/model) by backup/cloud service backblaze . This will give you a general snapshot of which manufacturer may be having a worse/better time right now with failed hds.

Keep in mind, I've read pieces that cast doubt on backblaze stats. Which brings me back to what I said earlier. Generally speaking, all three manufacturers are quite good.

Comment

Working...
                X