This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipped DVD

I have a DVD that has a tiny chip in the inner plastic-y bit. Has anyone else encountered this situation before? The disc itself still plays, but it skips like crazy in one particular spot.

What should I do?
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Hold it up to a bright-ish light with the label side facing you. If you can see the damage through the label, it's un-fixable and needs to be replaced. The data layer on DVDs is just below the label itself, so a hole that's visible from the label side goes all the way thru. Sorry.

Short of that, a DVD fixer/buffer machine at a video store (if those still exist near you) or maybe a a library (???) MAY be able to buff the damage out and make it usable again.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Replace the DVD. You might not mind the skip, but the integrity of DVD is compromised by that chip. Considering the high speeds at which the DVD spins, a chip could cause it to fracture into many pieces, and may even hurt you.

Beware of cracked discs.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
      X