This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 - start menu not working and pinned items have disappeared

As the title says, I can't access my start menu and I have no pinned items. Luckily I have shortcuts to some of the items I use, but I can't seem to fix it. I tried doing this fix, but it doesn't work (not to mention I can't find the damned folder mentioned because I have no way to access windows explorer to find it). Powershell just sits there and does nothing. Restarting does nothing. I have to shut down the computer via the power button to turn it off. The only thing I did different was get Microsoft Office 365 and download that last night. If I can either get help fixing the start menu/pinned items or guidance to return to a point before I downloaded Office, that would be wonderful.
    Last edited by fma_fanatic; 01-26-2016, 01:17 PM.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Try System Restore; it should be accessible via F8 during system bootup.

As for Explorer, hold the Windows key and press E.

Also, God Mode still works on Win10, so that may be a way to grant access to system commands you may need until you can figure out what's wrong.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If Windows key E doesn't work, try CTRL-ALT_DEL and then manually start a new process and run "explorer"... I think there is a button for that in 10, but the machine I am using right now has Windows 7 so I can't check to be sure.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

pressing CTRL-SHIFT-ESC will bring up the task manager, you can hit 'more details' in the lower left, which will show a bar up the top, then you can click "File"-"Run New Task" (then run 'explorer')
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Mine has started doing this occasionally and the only thing that works is to pull the battery out and then put it back in.
          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

It's a desktop, so there's no way to pull the battery out. I ended up doing a restore and that has fixed the issue, and the shortcut keys helped immensely.

From what I've read, this seems to be a common problem. It's a very annoying problem to say the least, especially if it hits someone who isn't computer savvy or knows where to go for help.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Working...
            X