This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth cinema guy View Post
    Hmm, I have seen plenty of poor grammar on the net or in emails. But I will take your word for it.
    You're right that poor spelling and grammar are epidemic across the 'Net. However, it's virtually 100% like this with scams, and combined with the other factors (request for personal info) it should set off alarm bells immediately.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      You're right that poor spelling and grammar are epidemic across the 'Net. However, it's virtually 100% like this with scams, and combined with the other factors (request for personal info) it should set off alarm bells immediately.
      Also, referring to whatever you're selling as "the item" and an excessive use of the word "ok" within sentences should set one's spidey senses a-tinglin'.

When the initial response says something like "I'd like to buy your item" there is a huge possibility that the response is scripted, i.e. the scammer hasn't read your ad at all and is firing the same script at several sellers at once.
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth CalyCoRose View Post
        I was going to respond, but I don't think so. I'm leaving the advert up. If they contact me again, I'm going to block them.
        Good call. Nigerian scammers are relentless; if they think they have you on the hook, they will do anything to reel you in.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Set up another advert on Craigslist. This time, I put in capital letters: CASH ONLY and LOCAL BUYERS ONLY. This is the response I got from one person:

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail. I will be buying from
          you so please kindly withdraw the advert from C.LIST. Please be
          informed that i will be paying with a certified check from my Bank it
          will be delivered to you via United Parcel Service (FEDEX), so I'll need
          you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the
          mailing of the check...

Name to be on the payment...........
          Home address...........
          City..............
          State...........
          Zip Code..............
          Cell phone #................

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your
          money I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will
          be delivered within 24hours.** I use a hearing impaired phone
          # and will receive your calls via email **..I'm sorry for the late
          respond to your email ...N.B FEDEX does not deliver to a P.O box
          addresses.Thanks

I will not be responding to this one neither. *le sigh*
          And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

I'm kind of wondering if selling your stuff on craigslist might be a bad idea, since it seems the only people showing any apparent interest are scammers.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You might have a point there Irv.

The only reason I re-upped the ad on Craigslist is because I thought I might get a legit response. Sadly I was wrong.

Fortunately, there is, in the city just north of me, an eBay seller shop that I can take my stuff to and they'll sell it for me. I just have to find the certificates of authenticity for the bells (of which I have found 3).
              And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

I swear, that second one is worse. Sounds like one of those "check ends up being higher; please forward the difference to this other person" scams.

And who seriously calls it "C.LIST" if they're not a scammer?
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                X