This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Awesome, Happy Thing.

BG: Okay, so my mother told everyone (especially Rugz and I) that our girls were severely developmentally-delayed and had ASD, and that it was my fault, because we don't follow her parenting method or instructions. /BG

With it now in context, I would really like to have a little brag and won't do it on FB because I don't want to start a mummy-war: Jazzy is testing as above average and is well ahead of her class. She's in preschool and her teacher is going to see if she's ready to change up to the 'real' reading books for homework. It's such a relief to hear that she's a wonderful, bright kid to have in class, so friendly and patient, from her teacher even though we're only 2 weeks into the school year. I was worried that we were biased. I know I shouldn't have paid attention to my mother, but it's one of those "What if she's right, what if I really have fucked up badly and have ruined my kids lives with my parenting style?"

I'm just so happy that she's doing really well and is enjoying school so much. Sorry for mummyjacking, I needed to share with people that understand how awesome it is to prove an abusive parent wrong.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

That's great! You should be proud!

And you know what? "Parenting style" doesn't cause kids to be developmentally delayed or anything like that, anyway. She's just being mean. Ignore her.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow, your mom sounds like a joy to be around. Your kids are awesome, and you know who made them that way? You.

What did she say when you told her Jazzy is ahead of schedule?
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Thanks you two

I haven't told her, I don't speak to her at all. I just get to hear the lovely things that she's spreading thanks to concerned family members calling to check how I'm coping with such a stressful situation (which is very kind, it's just inaccurate and it's annoying that they believe her over me because she's an OT) or my siblings letting me know what's going on. I did tell my Dad, I don't know if he'll pass it on because it might be too much for her to handle because she's sooo stressed.

Jazzy and Bubbles are amazing and they don't need her around to make them feel bad about themselves and try to ruin their sense of wonder.

Comment

Everything you have mention here about your lovely kids, so this doesn't surprise me. I am glad Jazzy is doing well with her school work!

Your mother, needs to have a talking to with "The Stick"
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

It's true--from your posts, your kids seem great. I'm sorry your mom's so hurtful. But truth is truth. What I meant to say is the truth stands in spite of what your mom believes. (Wow, I've had to edit so many posts due to being tired the last 2 days).
            Last edited by Food Lady; 02-08-2012, 03:55 AM.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Your mother's a piece of work, isn't she? Congrats on great kids, and please continue to keep them away from mommy-damnedest.

Comment

Grats on the kids, I'm sorry your mom is like that.

Comment

Frankly, if someone did that to me and well meaning but misguided people were calling me up about it, I would pretend I hadn't the first clue what they were talking about.

If she kept it up after having to field calls from embarrassed people calling her back and going "what did you tell me that for? I felt like a fool!" I'd start a campaign of answering the queries with a heavy sigh and an embarrassed, awkwardly delivered confession of "oh, no." (sigh). "Well, look, thanks for telling me that. I didn't know that was going on. I'll call Mom's doctor and tell him what's going on. I was afraid this sort of thing might happen if she went off her meds. No, really, thanks for letting me know, it's important."

I guaran-damn-tee you she will knock it off with a quickness. Because while there is absolutely no shame in any sort of developmental delay or mental problems, your mom thinks there is.

Comment

Kink, I think I am in love with you. I love that!!!!
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Thanks I really do appreciate it, everyone here is so supportive and loving.

@Kink, I'm very tempted to use that now and I agree with Elspeth, I think I love you.

It wouldn't bother us if one or both had ASD, we'd find ways to work around it and ask for advice from everyone here. It isn't anything to be ashamed of, and she should damn well know better considering it's her specialty!

Jazzy does have tongue-thrust, but she's working really hard and everyone in her class can understand her. I was worried that it would impact negetively on her schooling, but the speech therapy flash cards are the reason that she's so far ahead! Also: *happy dance* she's been moved up a level for her reading homework! She now has books with short sentences instead of ones with a word per page. So excited!

Comment

/high fives WOOOOO

Feel totally free to mummyjack, its time to partay!

Also, I really, *really* like Kink's idea. Thats just....brilliant.
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Yeah I want to join the Kinkoid fan club.
                          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I love you Kink! I think I need to move in with you and get a spine of sorts when dealing with family on both sides.

As a mother of a child with ASD (though her developmental pediatrician is leaning more towards PDD-NOS), I feel unmitigated fury and hatred towards people like your mother Mishi. Sorry, but I do, and that is all I'm going to say about it.

Just take joy in your children. Keep up with the little to no contact with your mother, and do as Kink said. Either your mother will stop the "rumors" or she'll call you up and demand to know why you're saying what you're saying and then you can hash it out with her then (throwing in the progress reports from the teachers).
                            And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Be proud of the munchkins (reading is fun, I hope she's really digging it!) and DON'T argue or retort "She's much better than Mom says"
                              Part of the problem here is that your rellies are believing Mom. Question: has your mother always been this way - exaggerating issues? If so, you'd think THEY'd know by now.
                              Aunt : Omgomg she doing ok omgimg?
                              You : Yes, everything's great here!
                              Aunt: Your mom told me she's got gangrene and a zombie tried to eat her
                              You : Oh, really. Did you get to check out Hugh Jackman's new tight jeans?

And if people come to see you and see how well she's doing, your mom will lose credibility with her rellies.
                              I'm the one who gets to yell, OI! Bint!
                              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
                              X