Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know you have worked too long in retail when...(game?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know you have worked too long in retail when...(game?)

OK...this may turn into a game depending on how far we go with it.

Rules are:

-simply complete the sentence "you know you have worked too long in retail when..."
    -if the job is not retail, simply change the sentence to "you know you have worked too long in <non-retail job> when..."

This idea came up with a couple of coworkers and some customers today.

You know you have worked too long in retail when...

-you are able to actually type in certain barcodes off by heart. (I can do two of the chickens just by checking the price first, as well as a bag of potatoes...the latter came after having to work while I'm still adjusting to the Implanon.)

-you're a customer and start asking the people behind the counter if they want cash out.

-you farewell them with the same robot greeting at work.

-you know exactly how to do most duties that are above you, even though you haven't been promoted (i.e. count drawers, do overrides etc.)

-you can recite word-for-word the closing spiels and/or any specials.

-you can recite word-for-word the promotions done by the "As Seen On TV" ladies. (I once actually counted how many times one of them made her call in an 8-hour day and how many times she used the word "Free." It was something like 3 calls every 15-20 minutes.)

Keep em coming.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

You know you've walked in a call centre too long when

your phone rings at home and you automatically answer "company x telephoneangel speaking, how may I help you?"

when finishing a phone call to your mother she says "goodbye" and you answer "I hope that I, Telephoneangel, was able to answer your query in a satisfactory maner today, thank you for calling"

you call a call centre yourself and find yourself worrying that you may be making them go over their call statistic average time by asking them too many questions.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

You know you've worked in a call center too long when you give your openening statement, and get yelled at for being yet another automated system, mashes buttons, or screams "OPERATOR! GIVE ME THE G** D***ED OPERATOR!"

You know you've worked in a call center too long when you call in to another company's support line, and are told the wait time is 5 minutes or longer, and hang up after feeling bad for the agents answering the phones.
      Last edited by Midorikawa; 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM. Reason: Clarity! We need clarity!
      Coworker: Distro of choice?
      Me: Gentoo.
      Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

-When you work at Ross and answer the phone by saying, "Target."

You know you've been in the military too long when

-The French toast is the epitome of your training experience.

-Someone asks you about sports and you think they mean SPORTS.

-Hearing Revielle immediately wakes you up.

-Your definition of handwashing is a squirt of hand sanitizer.

-Your critiques of MRE's become reknowned for their accuracy.

-You've had all 24 versions more than once.

Comment

You know you've worked in retail too long when you answer your phone at home "Thank you for calling the clearance swamp, how can I help you?"

Or "(whatever) department, how can I help you?"

You know you've worked in retail too long when you find yourself straightening the shelves at other stores while you're shopping.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You know you've been a systems administrator too long when you hear the server alarm noise as a sound effect in a movie, and visibly cringe.

You know you've been a systems administrator too long when your wife wakes you up from sleep talking someone through rebuilding a server.
            Coworker: Distro of choice?
            Me: Gentoo.
            Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
              You know you've been a systems administrator too long when your wife wakes you up from sleep talking someone through rebuilding a server.
              You know you have been in IBM hardware repair too long when you can drive down the road and accurately describe, over the phone without benefit of a manual (paper or a PDF file) to a on-site tech how tear apart and repair various models of an AS/400.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

You know you've been working retail too long when...

...you know all of the repeated 17 songs coming from your store overhead by heart.

...the junior high school kids who you've use to help are now freshmen in college.

...you actually consider manning another checkout line while you're in one at another store, just to burn down the line.

...you know, off the top of your head, more than 15 barcodes of product in your store. Products without tags are no problem!

...you can ring 40 items in under a minute.

...they use you in a training video.

...you don't even need to say your name on the phone, they already know who it is.
                In the slot machine of life, I am the WILD symbol.

Comment

You know you've been in retail too long when someone passes you the salt at dinner and you say "Thank you, have a great day!"
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

You know you've had your home business selling craft products (basically a line of paints in tubes and things to paint with them, sold at home parties where you teach how to use them) when everytime you look at basic colours, they register in your brain as the corresponding number of the paint. It's been over 20 years, but basic green still = #7, dark green = #8 etc..

You know you've been a computer programmer too long when you're working on a payroll/disbursing program that has one main screen for input from users with 32 variations of that screen - and dream at night of a dog named the letter/number ID of that screen, who has 32 puppies (co-workers love hearing that one, LOL).

You also know you've been a computer programmer too long (or working too many damned unpaid overtime hours) when in your dreams, you're trying desperately to translate all actions into computer code.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

You know you've been in tech support too long when you answer your home phone with "Nerdsoft Corp, this is Grype speaking."

Comment

i dream about work as well, I take phone calls in my sleep and wake up knowing exactly how I dealt with the call and wonder if there is a real customer with that name and account number.

Comment

You know you have worked in the call centre too long when the customer complains he tried to call and the call centre was not open,

just as you go to tell him you are sorry he was inconvenienced but the hours are x to x,

you realise you are on a bus and the customer is the person behind you talking to his friend and you don't actually know which call centre they they are talking about

Comment

You know you've been a diesel jockey too long...

When you dream all night every night that you're humping trucks.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You know you've been working in the call center too long when...you dream you're on the clock, and you find out later you were talking in your sleep and following the script.
                              Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X