This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Server Rack Sense Was Tingling.

More of a coworker rant, but since only the techies will really get it here we go.

The number one rule of working with me is. DO NOT TOUCH MY RACKS OR MY TOOLS WITHOUT ASKING. Its in all caps because thats what the sign says in the server room.

Now my racks are pristine. All the cable management is installed and any server and piece of equipment can be pulled out on its rails. All eithernet cables and power cords are labeled and run correctly in the racks. Any servers can be pulled out on their rails with no issues or effort.

I walk in this morning, Something is not right. I walk over to my tools they have been disturbed. Then I noticed that there is an open box and trash on the floor next to the exchange servers' rack. Hmm, oh the new tape backup array must of arrived for their NAS. But why was it installed...................

I go take a look at the handiwork. Lets see, old AIT drive still installed. The rials for the new tape array where installed but not the swing arm for the cable management. The SAS cable was run directly to the NAS unit not through the rack. Or use the NAS' cable management arm.

At this time my boss was coming down to do his check list. He took one look at what I was looking at.

Boss: "Oh Shit"
    Me: "Who was it"
    Boss: "It was 'new kid' I guess he took some inshitive"
    Me: "I wouldn't of minded if he took more then 10 minutes to install it. Permmision to open a can of whop-ass on him when he gets in."
    Boss: "Just go easy on him"
    Just then I notice somthing
    Me: "This cable is way to short, who orderd the equipment."
    Boss: "I had 'new kid' do it so our he could get to know our Dell reps."
    Me: "This cable is only 2 feet long"
    Boss: "Whats wrong with that?"
    Me: "I specified on the sheet 2 meters"
    Boss: "Oh, OHHHHHHHH....."
    Me: "Do I still need to go easy on him"
    Boss: "Yes"
    Me: "Damit"

More when he gets back from his vendor class.

Quoth Daskinor View Post
    Me: "Do I still need to go easy on him"
    Boss: "Yes"
    Me: "Damit"
    Your boss is no fun, you know that?
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      Your boss is no fun, you know that?
      That's this week. If the new kid doesn't learn real quick, there should be some interesting posts forthcoming.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

How was he able to hook it up if it was missing 4 ft of length?

Comment

He didn't run it through the rack as he should have, but just ran the line directly from connection to connection.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            He didn't run it through the rack as he should have, but just ran the line directly from connection to connection.

^-.-^
            I wondered how some server racks could get so messy to the point where you can't even see the rack anymore.

I don't wonder anymore.

Comment

I, as a cable management whore (as I have been called) just noticed after reading my eye is twitching lol.
              Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
              pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

You want something to provoke twitching?

Way back when the old server guy was still on-site, his rat's nest of wires was so out of control that an actual rodent got caught in the mess and died. And it was in such a state that it couldn't be found to be removed, so he got to work in that office with the door closed until the stench subsided.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

(And jaw hits the floor, and renders me speechless.)
                  Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                  pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    How was he able to hook it up if it was missing 4 ft of length?
                    Haven't worked with rack-mounted equipment, but my understanding is that 2 feet is long enough to go from device to device, but it needs the full specified length to go through the cable management system that allows the devices to be pulled out on their rails without first disconnecting the cables.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Haven't worked with rack-mounted equipment, but my understanding is that 2 feet is long enough to go from device to device, but it needs the full specified length to go through the cable management system that allows the devices to be pulled out on their rails without first disconnecting the cables.
                      That's pretty much it.

You need enough length to cover both the vertical distance from device to device, as well as the horizontal distance from the rear of the rack, to the front. This way, the device can be slid out without disconnecting anything.

Comment

The good part about racks and servers is that they're standardized size equipment.
                        And heck if you don't know how big it needs to be, take a long (5 or 7 feet) one and run it like it needs to be.

Then lay it on the floor, and measure the tiles it takes to equal the needed size. Tiles are either 2 foot wide or 1 foot wide. So you can easily figure the length. Add an inch or 2 for slack if you want, but don't go 3' over your needed size..

And for god's fricking sake, do NOT use zip ties!! The little nub left over after clipping it is SHARP and annoying, and hard to cut open when you need more cable runs. Use Velcro, every foot or so. And new cables to the rack should run UNDER all the other cables. And at a switch or patch panel, part your hair down the middle.
                        So if there are 3 racks, 1 2 3 from left to right, and your server is at the bottom of 3, and the patch port is number 5 on the panel in the middle of Rack 2. You run from the ass end of Server, thru the arm, up the rack, and OVER the top to come down on the spot between 1 and 2, then INTO #2.

Not Up from Server then straight over to the new port. You will have rat nest spaghetti shit very soon.
                        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                          And new cables to the rack should run UNDER all the other cables.
                          Took your second to get what you meant by "part your hair down the middle", but this I don't get. Why? In our machines I frequently run new wire on top of the old, as long as I can get it in the same organizer clamps. Can't see how that would cause a problem with cat5.

Comment

It looks better when the front of a panel is divided by the 8 or 12 port chunks.
                            And it's easier to trace, when the cables are separated. If you run a cable off the arm, up the rack and just lean over to whatever port it goes into, soon you will have hard to find cables.

And, if you have your cables all nice and pretty with the original runs and velcro, put the new ones behind the nice looking set, undo the velcro, hold the cables in one hand and slip the velcro around New and Old set. Cosmetic.
                            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                              And, if you have your cables all nice and pretty with the original runs and velcro, put the new ones behind the nice looking set, undo the velcro, hold the cables in one hand and slip the velcro around New and Old set. Cosmetic.
                              Why behind though? If they're all in the same velcro does it matter which cable is where in the bundle?

Comment

Working...
                              X