X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target does a Circuit City - Will cut hours/health insurance for 8000 emps

http://consumerist.com/2010/02/targe...part-time.html

I wonder if any CSers will be hit by this change? That really sucks for those that are losing their benefits. This may do more damage than good for Target.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

A lot of companies are doing this to save $$$. Sad how when all this goes on executives are still able to find bonuses for themselves as well as their own payraises.

My company hasn't given out payraises in 3 years now and rumor has it we're going to have a 4th (I'll know Friday).

Our stores already cut FT down from 40 to 36 hours.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I was at Circuit City at in the beginning of the end. It was pretty much the last straw when I went from working 50+ hours a week and getting roughly $20 an hour to 30 hours a week at $8.00 an hour.

The best part was that 2 months before we had the meeting where we found out we were about to get screwed and that our top performers could kiss their jobs goodbye, all store managers in the country went to a "conference." This "conference" lasted 5 days and took place in Las Vegas. Then they went back to their stores after having spent probably quite a bit of petty cash and let us continue to work for what little we had left at that point, knowing of the financial apocalypse that was coming our way.

I hated that company so much. Take as much as you can from the front-line employees so that the Corporate Assholes can buy a third summer home.

If you or a loved one work for Target, take heed and get out NOW.
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

This is makes me think of my husband's situation. He works as a manager at Game Store and has been going through some major bs. The company's CEO got a holiday bonus of (no I'm not exaggerating) $5 million. Yet my husband's store gets 85 payroll hours for one week. The way these companies "save money" makes me sick.

Comment

Quoth Cassandra View Post
          This is makes me think of my husband's situation. He works as a manager at Game Store and has been going through some major bs. The company's CEO got a holiday bonus of (no I'm not exaggerating) $5 million. Yet my husband's store gets 85 payroll hours for one week. The way these companies "save money" makes me sick.
          I work at a game store too and they've been very tight on hours. Twice recently, managers have been required to work 55 hour weeks (because they are salaried and the company can get away with working them more but not paying them more, rather than have to cough up extra payroll for the rest of the staff),
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Thankfully my company hasn't cut any benefits yet, but then again the Union would start a shit storm if they did. However they are cutting hours like crazy! Some departments are lucky to have more than one person at a time. Hell we're lucky to have more than two regular lanes opened.

They say sales are down, but that's not true. Sales are actually up, it's profit that's down, but that's because prices on a lot of products were reduced to keep from losing customers to Wal Mart. It's to the point that when they said they're cutting hours AGAIN last week I said "what's there left to cut?" I mean we're already on a skeleton crew, pretty soon they'll be almost no crew if this continues.

Anyway I'm sad to see this happen at Target. I like Target. I hope this isn't the start of it's demise. That make me a sad panda.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              Twice recently, managers have been required to work 55 hour weeks (because they are salaried and the company can get away with working them more but not paying them more, rather than have to cough up extra payroll for the rest of the staff),
              You know, there's just something about that that seems like it's illegal, but it isn't. Three cheers for hourly pay, I suppose.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

When I worked pizza corp started a new policy for salaried managers that if you didn't make your store's weekly labor goals, then you would have to work a extra day a week.
                At a store i helped out right before this new policy was started, the manager of that store was working within his goals, until the bean counters decided to lower his labor goal by .5%, so now he was over his goal. 2 weeks after this, the new policy regarding the extra day was started, and immediately he got dinged on not meeting his new goal, and got forced to work the extra day.
                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

And they wonder why companies go into a death spiral. They do stuff like this and yet somehow they manage to find their executives bonuses and then wonder why thier employees don't feel all that motivated. When are these executives going to learn the first rule of leadership...."Take care of your people's needs before your own because in the long run they'll take care of you." Of course, maybe they don't care about the long run because they see the writing on the wall.

Sadly, I like Target.....but if this is the way they are going to treat their employees....Bah!
                  Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM. Reason: disclaimers are nobody's friend.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                    I work at a game store too and they've been very tight on hours. Twice recently, managers have been required to work 55 hour weeks (because they are salaried and the company can get away with working them more but not paying them more, rather than have to cough up extra payroll for the rest of the staff),
                    Quoth Broomjockey
                    You know, there's just something about that that seems like it's illegal, but it isn't. Three cheers for hourly pay, I suppose.
                    It is illegal in NJ. Take a nice long look at your state's labor laws and you might be able to find justification for overtime pay.

Comment

Working...
                    X