This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube embedding

Okies, folks. Someone pointed out to me on one of the other forums I run that there's some very simple code that allows users to embed Youtube videos.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

You don't put anything in the tabs apart from the code Youtube uses for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBc_gm5ci2E becomes [youtube]dBc_gm5ci2E[/ youtube] for example.

Please play nicely with this feature. It's not for signatures (I'd prefer to keep BBcode functionality there). It's not as reliable as I'd like, from what I've heard, but it's there and go for it

Rapscallion

Wow, thanks! ^^ Another forum I go on that's invision based has this feature. They have a subforum for youtube videos; maybe an idea?
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

We had a Youtube thread in CIO a while back. Feel free to start another, or find it and keep it going. If there's enough demand, I may look into a new section, but I do have concerns about spreading the userbase thinly.

Rapscallion

Comment

What reason, other than being obnoxious, would anyone have for wanting to embed videos in their signature anyway?
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
          What reason, other than being obnoxious, would anyone have for wanting to embed videos in their signature anyway?
          got it in one

Comment

but... all siggies should have videos embedded in them!... especially really annoying vids
            (jk)

Comment

Like this one?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
              I AGREE
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

If you're going to allow embedded YouTube videos, please restrict them to a sub-forum reserved for such videos. I've got an older system (and no time to upgrade/migrate my data), and whenever I go to a page with a YouTube video it crashes my browser. Links are OK - I just don't click them - but embedded videos are a minefield.

If embedded videos are allowed site-wide, I'd have to stay away from CS.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

If you've posted in here, I think it's safe to say that it won't crash your browser until after you've opened the link. Is that your experience?

Rapscallion

Comment

perhaps, as a courtesy then, we can mention "embedded video" in the subject line? or (ev)?

maybe not as a rule but as a kindness to anyone who might have a wonky system

Comment

I like that idea, PepperElf. It'd be a nice heads-up.
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        If you've posted in here, I think it's safe to say that it won't crash your browser until after you've opened the link. Is that your experience?

Rapscallion
                        If it's a link, there's no problem. What messes up my browser is when the YouTube video tries loading, so if it's accessed via a link (that I don't click) it doesn't try to load. On the other hand, if it's inline (i.e. video tries to load directly on the page), I can't open the page without crashing my browser.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Considering you're posting in this thread, it looks like you're fine until you open the video link and thus open the video itself.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                          X