X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins of CTRL-ALT-DEL

www.devilducky.com/media/28888/

Nice little video explaining things. I especially enjoy the line:

"I may have been the one who invented it, but Bill is the one who made it famous."
    "They have the internet on computers now?"
    ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

I didn't watch it because it wanted quicktime (I won't install that crap on my computer for nothing, same for realtime).

However, how can anyone "claim" to invent ctrl-alt-del. It is the motherboard reset sequence. If anyone can claim they invented it, it would be IBM. However, I do believe even Apple ][ had a keyboard salute to reboot and those are pre-IBM days.

The only reason XP/NT don't reboot when you do it is because Micro$oft put in their OS an override for the keystroke. It was there before windows. I will admit that windows is what made the 3 finger salute famous.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

The guy talks about his programming days and how if the computer hung they had to restart it and all that. Then he says that he thought"oh what the hell, let's put this in like this" Apparently it was supposed to be an easter egg type of thing.

Everyone starts laughing when he says it was Bill who made it famous, the camera cuts to Bill Gates looking unamused by the statement and the speaker begins back pedalling saying he meant in the NT logon context.
      "They have the internet on computers now?"
      ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

He's lying his ass off. Because Alt-Ctrl-Del isn't a coding thing. It's hardwired into the motherboard as a keyboard way of pressing the "reset" button. When the three button salute is press, the keyboard "processor" sends a interrupt signal to the BIOS for a reboot. Back in those days, the reset button was on every PC unlike today most don't have reset button. Programmers in those days were all about making code small as possible, adding a "reset" code when a button was right there smells of B.S. to me. I'm a programmer from those days, I actually do remember how small you had to make your code so it would run on computer that only had 16k of memory.

Micro$oft decided to "intercept" this signal and make it do something else. This is a old trick used many many times in the old days. There was even a prank program that would make the 3 finger salute act like a virus. Hell, I still have that program on a floppy.
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
        X