This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of the Phones Are Evil mantra

It was ill-advised but I went to the local huge grocery store after church today. It was unbelievably busy like Christmas time at a big box store. At this point 90% of their refrigerated items are in those glass door fixtures that have become popular as of late and that's where lunch meat is kept. This is the kind of store where they have at least 30 feet of any given item. (Honestly, I think this store is bigger than Costco.) An older woman was in front of one section and I needed the one ahead of her so I went around her. I felt annoyed at how busy but it wasn't her fault. No complaint, eyerolling, sighing, or what-have-you when I did it. I was looking for corned beef which is near impossible to find, I guess. (I've just recently come back to eating land animals and I don't know where anything is.) I happened to be on my phone but I wasn't moving because I was looking for something. You could tell that if you looked at me. I was moving around slightly. I just figured she could go around me as I'd gone around her. Instead she just stood there and then something about me being on the phone to her husband. She assumed I was zoned out and couldn't do two things at one time. I'm sure it was some form of "these kids today.." except that I'm nearly 45 and I've had cell phones since 1996.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I was at Costco on Saturday (stupid, but couldn't be avoided) and needed to do a quick check on my phone to see if I was getting the correct variety of something. The place was totally packed, claustrophobic so I went to a slightly less busy aisle and was leaning against the side to be as far out of the way as possible. A guy pushing a cart down the aisle said "excuse me" as he walked by.

I wasn't in his way, he didn't need something I was blocking, since he didn't pause or stop. I looked up to check that nobody else was near me or anything... He walked by me with tons of room. Was he trying to make some sort of point? If I followed him around the store would he say excuse me to every single person in every single aisle? Just idiotic. I didn't even have a cart, it was just little ol' me hugging the side.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      A guy pushing a cart down the aisle said "excuse me" as he walked by.

I wasn't in his way, he didn't need something I was blocking, since he didn't pause or stop. I looked up to check that nobody else was near me or anything... He walked by me with tons of room. Was he trying to make some sort of point?
      I would guess just being polite, making sure you knew he was passing. I do the same thing on occasion.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I had someone make a similar remark because I was looking at my grocery list that was on my phone. I use our groceries. It lets me input the aisle number for items. So I glanced down to see which aisle I needed next and this woman yelled at me to get off my phone. I told her, I'm looking at my list and walked away.

Comment

Quoth kaherbert View Post
          and this woman yelled at me to get off my phone. I told her, I'm looking at my list and walked away.
          When she pays your phone bill then she can tell you what to do with it.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't often have people commenting on me looking at my phone or using it to message while I'm shopping. Probably because I often look like I'll bite the head off of anybody who pisses me off - I do a lot of my shopping after work lately because I have to walk right past the store on my way to the bus, so it makes sense for me to shop when I do. After work I am so peopled out by the idiocy that is an everyday occurrence at the Golden Arches that I can't even pretend to be happy/smiley. If anything I look like a grouchy, unapproachable bear who smells like a greasy cheeseburger.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              I would guess just being polite, making sure you knew he was passing. I do the same thing on occasion.
              That would make sense if I had been moving maybe... In the context of this store it was very out of place. Nobody says excuse me unless you need to get someone to move out of your way.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Nobody says excuse me unless you need to get someone to move out of your way.
                I've had a few people say it when they walked in front of me. I guess they assumed I was looking at something on the shelf and they were apologizing for getting in the way, even though it was only briefly.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  When she pays your phone bill then she can tell you what to do with it.
                  Ooooh, I like that.

That would make sense if I had been moving maybe... In the context of this store it was very out of place. Nobody says excuse me unless you need to get someone to move out of your way.
                  Perhaps. But if I think I might be inconveniencing the person I'm passing, I'll often throw an "excuse me" their way, just in case.

It's also my much shorter way of saying, "I know you're not paying attention, and I don't want you to finish what you're doing and step in front of me right as I'm passing and maybe get a toe mashed, so I'm drawing your attention to myself."
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I'd class an "Excuse me." (unstressed) as more like whistling in bear country... "I'm here and I don't want to startle you!"
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                    X