This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
    You are very kind, but you forgot the bats*it crazy part.
    Money just slips through his fingers, or falls out his pocket because he doesn't trust banks.

He does pay the poor tax because he refuses to pay good money for something he can get cheaper. Problem with that is that cheap things are cheap and he's always replacing them.
    That's sad. I imagine there's no chance of convincing him to get some treatment?
    ETA: If I were that completely unable to control my spending, I wouldn't put in the bank either -- overdraft fees are a real killer.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
      ETA: If I were that completely unable to control my spending, I wouldn't put in the bank either -- overdraft fees are a real killer.
      The thing is, it might actually help, since he'd be able to check his balance. One disadvantage of cash is it can be hard to judge exactly how much you have at any one time.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
        The thing is, it might actually help, since he'd be able to check his balance. One disadvantage of cash is it can be hard to judge exactly how much you have at any one time.
        But if you do run out, your pocket doesn't eat the next $40 (or more!) you put in there.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
          That's sad. I imagine there's no chance of convincing him to get some treatment?
          It is very sad, but my friend doesn't think he has a problem. This is just how it is and he can't change it.

I doubt he could get a bank account, I'm sure his credit score is about -900 due to forgetting to pay his utility bills or taxes on a regular basis.

A big problem he has is that he often doesn't think more than half a minute ahead. Someone gives him a sob story and he hands over money, not thinking that he won't get more money for a couple of weeks. He does buy groceries and pet food on "payday", but always seems to run out of gas or cig money.

We do what we can for him, and we keep 500 set to the side for when he forgets to pay his property taxes or whatever. Its our money, if we want to keep some to loan to a friend instead of buying things for ourselves with it, its our business.

We both have good boots, it hurts our hearts to see him walking around with holes in his.

Yeah, we feed the stray cats, too. And give to homeless shelters. And animal rescue groups.

Maybe we don't have good money sense either.

Comment

Maybe we don't have good money sense either.
            It's your money. You should do whatever makes you happy. If that means loaning money to a friend and helping those in need, then that should make you exceedingly happy.

Comment

We do what we can for him, and we keep 500 set to the side for when he forgets to pay his property taxes or whatever. Its our money, if we want to keep some to loan to a friend instead of buying things for ourselves with it, its our business.

We both have good boots, it hurts our hearts to see him walking around with holes in his.
              You could buy him good boots! (Thus overcoming the Vimes Theory of Poverty...)

Comment

Buy him a pair of good boots for Christmas. If they're still going strong next Christmas, point out that you spent X amount on them, they're still good, while he would be on his 2nd pair of boots that cost Y amount by this point.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I like this idea ^^^^^^^^^^

It is a good, thoughtful present that he would use nearly everyday and it will be one less thing he then needs to worry about through the year.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    Buy him a pair of good boots for Christmas. If they're still going strong next Christmas, point out that you spent X amount on them, they're still good, while he would be on his 2nd pair of boots that cost Y amount by this point.
                    This is an awesome idea, thank you!

There will be some lying involved because we don't give each other Christmas gifts. I'll probably use the "Oh, I bought these for my sweetie, but they are the wrong size and I'm too lazy to mess with returning them." excuse. He tends to fall for that one when I "accidentally" buy my sweetie of over 30 years the wrong size of under ware or socks. I could also pull out the "We just LOVE these boots, but when I went online to order them, I got a coupon for buy 2, get 1 free, so here you go." line.

Despite knowing me for almost 16 years, the silly man still trusts me.

Comment

The BOGOF idea sounds plausible enough. I like it.
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Then that's the one I will use. Just to add some verisimilitude to the lie, I'll order new boots for us as well. Ours are 8 years old and starting to look a little shabby.

Comment

Working...
                        X