Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My co-irker won't wear glasses for vanity reasons, so everything she writes is in large print and highlighted to boot, so she can read it!

Since I started wearing glasses aged 9, I am only without them if I'm wearing contacts!

Comment

Quoth Terza View Post
      My co-irker won't wear glasses for vanity reasons, so everything she writes is in large print and highlighted to boot, so she can read it!

Since I started wearing glasses aged 9, I am only without them if I'm wearing contacts!
      I started wearing glasses just a couple years after you, it's second nature to me. So strange to think some people still think they're ugly or something? I have a couple CWs who should be wearing glasses, but don't. One broke his and "can't afford" another pair. I told him there are super cheap places online, and isn't $50 worth seeing? Another doesn't like wearing glasses because she says they "slide down" and she won't wear contacts because she can't touch her eyes. I'm sorry, if you go and get your glasses fitted they won't slide. Not one pair of mine ever slide. They're all just excuses. I just can't understand going around not being able to see!
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I had Visian ICL surgery done on my eyes four+ years back, and it corrected my far vision to near 20/20 (before that, I was almost legally blind without my glasses). Now, I only need over-the-counter reading glasses for books, fine print and my laptop, and I don't give a crap. Considering I needed glasses 24/7 since I was about seven or eight, I don't bat an eye over having to pull my readers out for close-up text.

Comment

What would an SC do with glasses? We all know they never read anything.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            I get this on the healthcare side too (I'm also someone who can't go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without glasses, so I really don't understand people who leave them lying around).
            While I've got bad enough vision that my hand is rather blurry with my arm only half extended, I can still make my way to the loo in the dark* (which is downstairs at the back of the house; Victorian 1890's terrace, kitchen/loo were later additions). The light doesn't go on until I'm actually in the bathroom, and I can see shapes well enough to do what is necessary. I admit to being puzzled at the idea of needing to put on my glasses just for going to the loo...

Quoth Minflick View Post
            For me, I got glasses at 15, so vision is way more important than vanity. I can go pee in the middle of the night without them, but they go on when I get up in the morning, and go off when the lights go out. All other times they are on my face.
            This, although it was 10/11 for me and only reading glasses; my mum used to yell at me as I refused to take them off. Walking home and being able to see the horizon was a novelty for me!

Quoth Terza View Post
            I can't wear contacts. I have funny-shaped eyes (exact quote from my optician!) so when I put them on to correct being short-sighted I end up long-sighted enough that I have to read with my arm at full extension. I only wanted to try so that I could more easily do some of the things that glasses make awkward, such as rock-climbing and archery (ever had to chase your glasses down range? Not Fun. Pro-tip; don't wear glasses that come up to a point (think 50's style) if you're shooting with a bow).

By this point I have permanent indents in the side of my nose anyway, so I'd have to spend so much time and make-up trying to minimise them that I just can't be bothered. My current glasses (rimless) are very light and comfortable anyway, so I don't really care. Besides, I've been wearing glasses so long that looking at myself in the mirror without them was very disconcerting.

*When I was younger I had a terror of being helpless if there was a fire and I couldn't see where I was going due to smoke/darkness. Since then I've made sure I can get to any exit/the cupboard with the torch in it in a house where I live with my eyes closed. Comes in useful in the middle of the night or if the power goes out!
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I can't wear contacts because a) I'm hopeless at getting them off my fingers and onto my eyeball, and b) I take antihistamines twice a day and my eyeballs are too dry to tolerate the lenses, dammit.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                I think it's just vanity, because wearing glasses makes some people "feel old".
                Same with hearing aids. My mom, who is 83, has had them a good 20 years or so. She KNEW her hearing was going and embraced them! She's not at all vain and very practical so if being able to hear meant wearing them, so be it.

But so many refuse, and then you end up shouting at them all the time. and they get mad when they can't hear you!

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                  Oh, it's absolutely vanity, for some of them! My grandmother wouldn't even put on her dollar store glasses to balance her checkbook, if ANYBODY was home with her. With vision bad enough that she couldn't see to write, nor read her own handwriting...

For me, I got glasses at 15, so vision is way more important than vanity. I can go pee in the middle of the night without them, but they go on when I get up in the morning, and go off when the lights go out. All other times they are on my face.
                  Same, except I've had mine since age 5. i see diddly squat without them. as in like 2 inches tops in front of my face before stuff gets blurry

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    I started wearing glasses just a couple years after you, it's second nature to me. So strange to think some people still think they're ugly or something? I have a couple CWs who should be wearing glasses, but don't. One broke his and "can't afford" another pair. I told him there are super cheap places online, and isn't $50 worth seeing? Another doesn't like wearing glasses because she says they "slide down" and she won't wear contacts because she can't touch her eyes. I'm sorry, if you go and get your glasses fitted they won't slide. Not one pair of mine ever slide. They're all just excuses. I just can't understand going around not being able to see!
                    Agreed about excuses. I found out through experience, i cannot wear plastic frames. i need metal etc. with the nose pads. since the bridge of my nose is very narrow, i need them to keep my glasses FROM sliding all over hell and back. and with progressives, that's not fun. But now i get frames with those, and don't you know, they stay put AND i can see! Yes, i had to go back a few times to have them adjusted, but who cares?

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                      Same, except I've had mine since age 5. i see diddly squat without them. as in like 2 inches tops in front of my face before stuff gets blurry
                      I was the same age, and the blur for me starts at 5 inches. I started wearing contact lenses around 12-13, and a few years back my eye doctor concluded that my distance prescription was no longer suitable for reading. His instructions were to buy the lowest-power reading glasses in a store (for use over my contacts). Whether or not I need the reading glasses depends on the lighting and the print size, but I generally have them nearby as long as my contacts are in. The next time I replace my actual glasses, I'll probably end up with bifocals.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                        I was the same age, and the blur for me starts at 5 inches. I started wearing contact lenses around 12-13, and a few years back my eye doctor concluded that my distance prescription was no longer suitable for reading. His instructions were to buy the lowest-power reading glasses in a store (for use over my contacts). Whether or not I need the reading glasses depends on the lighting and the print size, but I generally have them nearby as long as my contacts are in. The next time I replace my actual glasses, I'll probably end up with bifocals.
                        About the same here. I started wearing glasses at 12, and by now my vision blurs at 4 inches. Whenever I buy new glasses, I have to pay extra $$ for the extra-thin lenses, otherwise the glass part would be way too heavy to stay on my nose.
                        I have worn contacts, twice, for about 2 years each time, but they are just not for me. I spend so much time digging at my eyes that I would have ended up with Raccoon Eyes, even without makeup.

Something I learned, which I'm happy to pass along. Take your last set of glasses, with the slightly-older prescription, and keep them in your car's glove compartment. That way, if anything happens and you lose or break your current glasses(or contacts!), you will still be able to drive home!

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                          ... I have to pay extra $$ for the extra-thin lenses, otherwise the glass part would be way too heavy to stay on my nose.
                          Preach it, sistah!! I think my glasses would just wear down my nose until it fell off my face if I still had to have glass lenses. It doesn't help that I have a rather large head (and therefore, large face) and need larger lenses because of that. And, of course, I'm in the "blurry at six inches away from my face" club.

I did wear contacts for a number of years, but they always gave me red eyes. A girl I worked with back then saw me with glasses, and was surprised. I said I usually wore contacts--didn't she notice that my eyes were always red? She said, "I just thought you were stoned all the time. I was when I was your age."

It also got harder to pry my eyes open far enough to jam the lenses in first thing in the morning, and if I waited until after I showered I had soap residue on my hands that got onto the lenses. OUCH!!!
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                            Same with hearing aids. My mom, who is 83, has had them a good 20 years or so. She KNEW her hearing was going and embraced them! She's not at all vain and very practical so if being able to hear meant wearing them, so be it.

But so many refuse, and then you end up shouting at them all the time. and they get mad when they can't hear you!
                            Sheesh and hearing aids these days are practically invisible!
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I finally got glasses at 24, and my grades shot up. My mother, who has always had bad vision, didn't believe I needed glasses unless my eyes were as bad or worse than hers. The only comment she gave after my grades went up was, "I guess you needed them after all."

I only need them for distance, at least. Up close, my vision is actually BETTER than normal. I won't wear contacts because continually taking them off to see up close would be annoying as hell. If I wear my glasses and try to do anything closer than a few feet, I actually get headaches. I wear flexons, less rigid than plastic, but more forgiving than regular metal frames. I do need to get the lenses replaced this weekend, though, under warranty. After a year, that "scratch resistant" coating just isn't.

Comment

When I first got my glasses in the third grade, my school work improved greatly.

I had LASIK in 1999 which gave me 20/20 vision. Before that I was 20/700.

At my age I now need reading and computer glasses, but it's wonderful not have to wear glasses all the time.

I also have a small nose and my glasses were all the time sliding down. And still do.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X