• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no romaine lettuce: An open letter

To my customers at the Store;

There is no romaine lettuce.

We threw out all the romaine lettuce.

We did this because the CDC has advised all consumers and retailers nationwide to dispose of all romaine lettuce, immediately and until further notice, due to an E.coli outbreak connected to romaine lettuce of unknown origin.

That's why there is no romaine lettuce.

There isn't any in the back either.

We're not getting any in tonight either.

We don't know when we'll be getting more. We're waiting until the Powers That Be tell us it's OK.

We don't have any Caesar salad mix. This is because Caesar salad mix contains romaine lettuce and there is no romaine lettuce.

We don't have any packaged romaine hearts. This is because romaine hearts are romaine lettuce and there is no romaine lettuce.

There should be a sign, you say? There are several. You may have noticed them hanging on the empty shelves where the romaine lettuce would be if there were any romaine lettuce, which there is not.

No, I'm not going to call our location in the Next Town Over to ask if they have any romaine lettuce, because there is no romaine lettuce.

Yes, I'm happy to give you contact numbers for my boss and/or the corporate office. They will also inform you that there is no romaine lettuce.

You're free to take your business to a competitor if you wish. They won't have any romaine lettuce either, because there is no romaine lettuce.

No, I don't care that I've ruined Thanksgiving. I already ruined Halloween this year by running out of pumpkin-carving kits before Halloween itself, so now all I need is to ruin someone's Christmas and I'll have the trifecta. (And who serves salad with Thanksgiving dinner anyway?)

Have you tried butter lettuce? I've heard good things about it. We've got Brussels sprouts on sale. They're delicious sautéed in bacon grease. Perhaps I could interest you in some rhubarb.

No? Well, suit yourself.

Utterly bereft of romaine lettuce,

-Smapti

PS: No, we don't have any 25-pound turkeys left. It's 11:30 PM on the night before Thanksgiving. How are you even going to thaw it in time for dinner?
    Last edited by Smapti; 11-22-2018, 11:11 AM.

Way to go for ruining a Thanksgiving.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

And that old Grinch,
      He got an idea and he got it quick,
      He squatted in the lettuce patch
      And dropped a big...
      Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

If ever there was a holiday that didn't need lettuce of any kind, it would be Thanksgiving, wouldn't it? Isn't part of the celebration a feast of **seasonal** foods, (the season for lettuce being over sometime in late September, at least in the northern hemisphere)

Even if one had to make a turkey sandwich, and one had to have something green in it, won't fresh spinach do? Especially if it's a turkey club, where the real star is the bacon...

Comment

And you know

If you had romaine lettuce anywhere, they would insist on eating it no matter what the warnings you give, then when they get sick they would try to sue you for selling it.

Comment

Whaddya mean "no salad"??? There's potatoes -- they're veggies -- that are normally drenched in liquid fat (melted butter). See? SALAD!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I saw the opposite problem yesterday when my wife and I went out to lunch at Wendy's. Just about everyone in front of us was ordering their burgers and sandwiches "without lettuce." They use iceberg lettuce on the burgers and sandwiches, and I think the only thing that didn't have available was the salads. And there was a sign on the door stating this. Still, I guess it's better that people weren't taking chances.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                PS: No, we don't have any 25-pound turkeys left. It's 11:30 PM on the night before Thanksgiving. How are you even going to thaw it in time for dinner?
                Why thaw it? They have this nifty deep-fry thingie, so who needs to thaw anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gn895y4wkc
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  Why thaw it? They have this nifty deep-fry thingie, so who needs to thaw anything?
                  Where's the dingle-dangle?
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

♪♫ Yes, we have no bananas romaine lettuce... ♪♫
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gn895y4wkc
                      "My smile brightens any room."
                      "So will your immolation."
                      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        ♪♫ Yes, we have no bananas romaine lettuce... ♪♫
                        Surprised it took this long for the following to get put up:

Violets are blue,
                        Roses are red,
                        I bequeath to thee...
                        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Can I have some romaine lettuce now?

How about now?

Now?

Whyyyyy not?

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
                            Can I have some romaine lettuce now?

How about now?

Now?

Whyyyyy not?

Latest I heard is the CDC might revise/narrow their findings on Monday.

In which case, we still wouldn't have any romaine until Wednesday.

Could I interest you in a wedge salad? The secret ingredient is a shit-ton of bacon and bleu cheese.

Comment

Damn you science, why haven't you created GMO lettuce that can grow a full head over the weekend?
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                              X