This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did that just really happen?

This incident has a religious aspect to it but I'll keep general enough to make the point without going into Fratching territory.

Had a woman on the phone yesterday asking about transferring VHS tapes to DVD's. I gave her all the info and she said she would be in. Today she came up to the photo counter while I was there with something wrapped in a cloth. It was a boxed set of religious speeches/lectures, I'm not really sure. And this is how the conversation went.

Me: We can't copy that because it's a professional video.
    Woman: Why not?
    Me: Because of copyright issues.
    Woman: I don't believe you. Is it because it's <religion>?
    Me: No, that has nothing to do with. We can't make copies of professional videos. Would you like me to call a manager?

So I call the manager and she said exactly what I did. Because we can't do it. Woman wraps up the videos in the cloth and walks away saying "Well, that's your loss."

The manager and I just kinda shrug as she walked away. And I told her what she said to me. The manager was like like I was. The thing is she could probably find this set on DVD for cheaper than what we could do it. For the four videos it would've been $120.

I think I may say something to he assistant manager tomorrow because this is something I don't want to bite me in the ass even though I did nothing wrong. I don't need management coming to me about something a customer says I did since my customer service skills have been critiqued recently. That's probably a story for another topic.
    Last edited by Trixie; 11-25-2018, 04:40 AM. Reason: Because words are hard.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Actually, sometimes those religious videos are sold for ridiculous prices. Might be $200 or higher for DVDs.

Comment

I'd have replied, "How is it a loss when legally we can't copy it? If anything it's YOUR loss."

Comment

uh, yeah "Send your money to GOD! ... My address is "
        I do sorta understand the pricing though. There's kind of a small audience that would buy these things, and production cost for small runs tend to be higher per unit.

As for making copies of said tapes... NOPE. Copyright lawyers would eat one alive, then start in on the company. An individual might get away with burning a "backup copy" for personal use while KEEPING THE ORIGINALS, but for a company to do the work is just asking for it.

Comment

Exactly. The send out place my company uses would just refuse it and send it back. Thinking about the conversation I had with her on the phone it seemed like she could had a way to make copies on her own but just wanted something more professional looking for lack of a better term.

I think I'm still going to mention something to the manager because I really do feel like I need to cover my ass with this even though some how they'll probably make it my fault.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Put it in writing.....

Comment

I get this a lot at the Warehouse's bakery for cakes and stuff. We have a set amount of copyrighted stuff that the company is able to do because they've got the license to do so, anything outside of that and we need written permission from the owner to do anything. It doesn't stop customers from trying nor a couple of coworkers not giving much of a damn.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
              X