Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People will move to a house on Banshee lane next to the airport and then complain about the noise and the fact that their house is under a landing pattern when the wind is right.
    And you know at least one plane flew over during the time they toured the house.

Comment

I live in San Jose California, and when the wind is right, if they're processing garlic in Gilroy, we can SMELL it so strong you'd think somebody was cooking garlic next door. It's nearly 35 miles, and I've smelled it further than that.

Comment

This is the reason that ...most...people in Louisiana don't build homes within several miles of a sugar cane processing plant.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Where I lived in NJ was near the end of the rail line to New York City. They built a subdivision near the last station and promoted the convenient access to the New York trains.

Guess who started to complain about the noise from the trains?
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The mushroom plants here are all indoor facilities they use pasteurized horse poo as a growing/fertilizer. They have no smell once pasteurized. There's a big paper mill several miles away and used to you could smell it over a 100 miles away but they had to clean up their act so much you really don't know it's there.
            Near on of my gun clubs there is now a large sub-division. When the sub-division first opened they complained about the noise from the range and demanded that we close as they were there first. Beyond the state having laws protecting firing ranges, the range is a state run facility and it's was established for the Spanish/American War and has been in constant use.
            At home every time we get a new neighbor they complain about the smell from my cattle. We were here first, it's a farm and it was stated in your deed.
            I've also had many many calls about deer, bear and other wide critters that "belong" to me. I don't own them the people of the state do and with the critters being wild I have no control over them.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Yeah, I love the people who buy near Reid-Hillview airport because it's actually a semi-affordable place in Silicon Valley--due to the noise from the airport. Then they start complaining about the noise, which was the entire reason they were able to buy the stinking house in the first place!!!!

Of course, when it's the difference between a $750K house and a $1.25M house, they are willing to put a lot of effort into it.

Or the folks down near Laguna Seca Raceway. The track has been there since the early 50s, folks, and you knew that when you moved in!! But no, they have complained to the point where almost all days there have strict noise regulations... Makes it hard for those of us who like watching races where people turn right as well as turning left.

Not to mention the whole "car week" adding billions of dollars (literally!!!!) to the local economy every year, and more millions from other events there.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                There's a big paper mill several miles away and used to you could smell it over a 100 miles away but they had to clean up their act so much you really don't know it's there.
                There are several paper mills about 40-50 miles away from me, and I periodically get treated to their aroma. Especially during winter.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  There are several paper mills about 40-50 miles away from me, and I periodically get treated to their aroma. Especially during winter.
                  Pretty sure some of that is coming from K-town which is practically next door to us.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My first electronics tech job was acroos the street from a slaughterhouse. When the wind drift was from the west you could inhale more calories than you could throw up. The visiting flies had four engines and tail-gunners...

A few years earlier my best friend's cross-street neighbor worked at said slaughterhouse. Every year he'd bring home a few 55 gallon drums of blood and slosh it on his lawn for fertilizer.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The problem with trying to control the wind is you might end up breaking it
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        The problem with trying to control the wind is you might end up breaking it
                        But which one would smell better?
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          The one I'm speaking of was known then as BoWater and they made newsprint located in Riceville/Charleston TN. I grew up north of there about 30 miles. If the wind was from the south you could easily smell it no matter what time of year. This place used settling ponds to "filter" the water instead of dumping it back into the river. For many many years where I-75 crossed the Hiwassee River with temps just right the fog would be so thick you couldn't see more than 20 feet infront of you. There was many pile-ups with loss of life. The settling ponds were blamed but it was never really proven. The mill stopped using the ponds yet the fog is just as bad as it ever was.
                          There was also a paper mill east of us in western NC. They dumped all their waste into the Little River. The water was clear up stream of the plant but looked like coffee downstream. Eventually TN state and EPA made them stop and the mill eventually shut down. Even all these years later the water still picks up something in the area where the mill was as it still isn't as clear below as it is above.
                          In my home town there was also a slaughter house and most days you didn't know it was there, but the days they burned certain unusable or unsellable parts were terrible. Also sometimes during floods the water would get into the creasote ponds and they would empty into the town creek. The city got their water from said creek. The was would smell and taste awful for days. During those days you could tell the city kids from kids on well water by their smell. I sometimes think it's a wonder any of use survived to grow up.
                          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

"I am the North Wind...!" [cookies for ref]

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                              That is almost as bad as where I lived and live.

I used to live rural as in an old tribal school converted into apts. This was a couple of miles outside of the city and I was surrounded by farms of the crop growing and cow variety. A couple of times a year the crop farmers would spread cow manure on their field for added fertilizer. Do this on a very sunny and warm/hot day in any season and you can guess what foul stench wafted over the area.

Even where I live now in the city that smell still makes it here where I am.

A less obnoxious one here in my current are is a factory that makes a certain green product that gets sliced and put on hamburgers. if the wind is right and slow enough the smell is overpowering.
                              I grew up in Deep Country, in a house surrounded by farmland. Oh yes, that spring spreading season! My mother used to throw open the doors and windows and say, "Smell that Fresh Country Air!" while we kids groaned and moaned.
                              You get used to it.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                                I live in San Jose California, and when the wind is right, if they're processing garlic in Gilroy, we can SMELL it so strong you'd think somebody was cooking garlic next door. It's nearly 35 miles, and I've smelled it further than that.
                                Garlic is my favorite perfume. I used to live near a spice plant that apparently made granulated garlic, and on certain days the whole area would reek of garlic.
                                Heavenly.

Comment

Working...
                                X