Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just because you want it doesn't mean we can order it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because you want it doesn't mean we can order it!

So, I had caller who was a bit on the delusional side today...most of them are, but this guy seemed a bit more than the usual.

He started out the call by asking what the hell was wrong with <company> because they are doing business with two cell phone manufacturers he hates: Apple and Samsung. He can't understand why we'd lower ourselves to doing business with these particular companies.

Okay then.

Then he started going on about this camera attachment he bought for his 2016 model Motorola, bringing up the price of it several times (around $400), before going on a rant about how he will only buy Motorola phones but he is angry that we don't carry the model of Motorola that will work with his fancy camera attachment.

Not much I can do here if we don't carry the model.

So he starts going on about how we should get him the phone that he wants, and made a comparison to how if he goes to a Chinese restaurant and they don't have he wants on the menu that he can tell them he wants something they don't make but they will go and buy him what he wants to eat, that if he wants gnocci that this restaurant will go to the nearest place that sells gnocci and buy it for him! I've got entirely too many years of restaurant work behind me to know this is absolute bullshit, so I called him out on it and told him that any restaurant that I worked at would tell him to go to the restaurant that made what he wanted and laugh him out of the place. He then told me that I must have worked for some very bad restaurants. I rolled my eyes so hard that I swear I saw my brain...

Then he told me that I needed to special order him the model he wanted, and when I told him that we don't carry it at all he said I had to call Motorola myself and make them send him the phone he wants from them. When I told him I couldn't do that and neither could anybody else here he got even angrier! I told him that the two models we have in stock are all we currently carry to order, but he could see if his local <company> store had some still in stock because it can and does happen, that we can't see what the stores have in stock because their inventory is different than what we have in the warehouse.

Well, he lost it! He couldn't understand why our competitor carried the phone but we couldn't somehow special order it for him. Dude, we have what we have! I'm sorry if you don't like it, but I can't suddenly pull a phone out of my ass just because you demand we get it for you. And he threatened to go to our main competitor, probably expecting me to suddenly have the ability to order the phone he wanted...I told him that if that's what he felt he needed to do then to go ahead because if he was so set on buying a phone we don't carry then there's nothing we could do for him.

I swear I could almost hear the wind go out of his sails. I wonder if he thought we had some special reserve inventory that we don't publicly post for sale or something...sort of like the proverbial back room where sucky customers are convinced we're hiding a product we're actually sold out of. And no amount of threatening will change the fact that we simply don't have it!

But I think the funniest part of the whole conversation was the customer stating he demanded gnocci in a Chinese restaurant. I know that if I'd had a customer like that when I worked in a Chinese restaurant that the owner would have laughed his ass off and told him to either eat something from the menu or get out.
    Last edited by KuariKaydrith; 12-06-2018, 02:49 AM.

Query is that SC actually a customer? Or some shopping for a better deal than the Motorola dealer he very likely called earlier?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Lying in all parts

Unless he pays big big money over costs there is no way that he goes to a Chinese restaurant and order Italian food and they go out to another store to get it.

I know of no store that operates that way, and more than one will have some very chosen four letter words to say to a person who demands such service.

Worse, no-one tells a company to give up selling the top selling phones just because they like something else, it is one thing to suggest adding to their inventory, but TELLING them to drop top sellers puts him in La-La land.
      Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I have ordered off menu items in several restaurants I go to, but nothing that far off. It was the owner of a Chinese restaurant that introduced me to the idea.

Although I did get some very tasty fried chicken in the above mentioned Chinese restaurant once. The cooks made it for the staff, and I got to have some of it. Yummy.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

For Chinese restaurants -- yeah, many will have menus intended for the staff (often IN Chinese or their own native language, if not) with stuff on there that the main menu lacks...but it'll still basically be variants on food they already carry, for the most part. It sure as hell won't be gnocchi
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well, most Chinese restaurants that I've seen will happily make dishes that aren't on the menu, but they are still limited to the ingredients (and cooking equipment) that they have on-hand. You want shitakes with lobster sauce? Sure! If you ask for venison stroganoff, the same waitron who was just rehearsing lines for a Shakespeare play is liable to "no speakee English". (And I wouldn't blame them. )

Back in college days, I knew some folks who would go into Chinese restaurants and point to individual ideograms on the menu, which apparently led to them trying some rather odd dishes.

Comment

I've done that last a few times. I wound up with the conclusion that I really only like American "Chinese" dishes...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I remember getting quite the wakeup call when I taught overseas in Hangzhou and they had literally none of our "Americanized" Chinese. There's no General Gao's chicken here, folks.

But I did get to try many flavorful and authentic dishes that I wish I could find here. My favorite was xialongbao, little steamed dumplings filled with pork and soup broth. You can find them in some Asian markets here but it's just not same..

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                  But I did get to try many flavorful and authentic dishes that I wish I could find here. My favorite was xialongbao, little steamed dumplings filled with pork and soup broth. You can find them in some Asian markets here but it's just not same..
                  You're making me hungry now
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I can understand when a customer will ask if any other store in my chain has an item in stock but when they ask me if a competitor has it I just give them the trout stare and say I have no idea what they carry or don't carry. Didn't happen to me but we had a customer want us to call a competitor to check if they had a item for them to go buy.

Comment

I can't count how many times someone wanted me to conger some imaginary part out of thin air like a wizard for their car.
                      AkaiKitsune
                      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

"It has to ship in from China"
                        "So... later today, right? I'll be back at 4!"

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                          "It has to ship in from China"
                          "So... later today, right? I'll be back at 4!"
                          "What do you mean they can't E-mail you the part?"

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                            "What do you mean they can't E-mail you the part?"
                            "I'll just download some RAM."
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've never understood the mindset of "Well, XYZ retailer has it, and if they don't, they'd get it for me!"

Yeah? Then, pray tell, why aren't you shopping there??
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X