Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno about other places, but if rangers in RMNP here in Colorado were asked to set up a tent or start a fire, they'd laugh and tell the campers to go home.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
      I should be astounded at this behavior, but I know better. What did they think the campsite was? Some fancy hotel that just didn't bother to build walls or ceiling? That's the only explanation I have, because it's clear they expected the park staff to come do all the work for them.

"Yes, we're in campsite #12, and we need someone to come light our fire and roast our hot dogs for us. We will also require another fire in the morning, around 7:30, and hot coffee. Oh, and will you please turn down the moon? It's too bright, and I can't sleep."
      I used to live and work in Yosemite.

I remember one woman who was upset that we couldn't keep the coyotes from yipping all night.

One of my favorites was the guy who got bit feeding a squirrel. The next day he went up to the medical clinic to get treated...and found out he was told he was going to need a series of rabies shots. He went back to the hotel front desk and told them they needed to catch that particular squirrel so it could be tested...

Comment

I'm pretty lucky around here. I've seen about a dozen bears in the woods in various times of my life, and I've never seen one that wasn't either waaaaaay over there, or running away very fast.

These are Maine black bears, anyway, not grizzlies; they're a relatively timid breed, and if they're sensible, and they seemed to be, they're terrified of humans. That doesn't mean they're not opportunistic - they WILL find your food if you're careless with it. Leave it in your car with the window open a crack, and you'll have one hell of a story to tell the insurance company.
        Last edited by Ben_Who; 08-07-2015, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Grew up camping in Rocky Mountain National Park and the biggest / most dangerous animal I have ever seen in person is a bull elk. Hubby spotted a mountain lion once though.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

My father loved to tell the tale of his and my mother's honeymoon at Yosemite in 1954. Neighboring campsite's car was broken into by a bear who saw the cooler sitting in the back seat and demolished the car getting at the cooler. Dad had to restrain the guy from trying to stop the bear....

Comment

Some idiot stored his daughter's wedding cake in his car overnight in the parking lot of the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite. Needless to say, his car was damaged and the cake was a total loss.

Dude threatened to sue the hotel. The front desk called a LEO Ranger (park police). Ranger told the fella that he better calm down or they were going to fine him for feeding the bears...

Comment

Working...
              X