This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never lend your stuff out!

I have a story from my teen years that you all might find amusing. I used to have this game for the gameboy way back when. My brother loaned it to some dumb friend of his, who then decided to keep it. When I wanted to play it, I said where is it???
    My bro then asked his friend for the game back. His friend said no, then admitted that he SOLD the game to one of those game stores that buy backs old games. WTF! WTH? Who sells someone else's game??? So when I heard this I fried my bro's ass for lending my games to his shady friends, and then I went to the game store to try to buy it back, or at least another copy of it. The store had old games on sale marked down cuz they're old.
    To my joy, I found my game! Yay I can play it again! So I did for old times sake....and I noticed yes, it was MY actual game! My old file was still there! Wow what a coincidence! ^_^

That was a while ago and it's missing again, along with a lot of other games for the gamecube and such. I accused my bro of 'lending' them out again, and he admitted he probably did, but doesn't remember. Sheesh!
    Bros. What can you do? But what kind of person says, "Oh this game someone lent me. I think I'll sell it for some $$$!!!! Cha ching!!!"
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

"Cain, meet Abel"

I love my brother, but if he ever pulled a stunt like that I'd disown him in a flash...

Comment

I learned my lesson never to loan stuff out when I loaned a friend of a friend my copy of Sonic 3. Never again.

Comment

If games had gone from a system I'd purchased with my own money, my sib would be dead and my parents would never have found the body. Never. Heck, my sib would be been lucky if I'd let them play it. (I'm the gamer, she's not.)
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

There are a few stories on Acts of Gord like this... like the girl who was supposed to return the Playstation her brother rented but instead sold it to a pawn shop to pay for a speeding ticket. (if her parents found out about it she might not have gotten to go on a trip to Mexico for spring break) Gord found out what happened and remedied the situation quickly, as the Hand of Gord is mighty and powerful.

Comment

I don't loan anything out anymore. My daughter lent her friend 4 of my son's book. 6 month later, I had her ask for them back. They said they were still reading them. 6 months later, I had he ask again and they put us off over and over again. I finally had to call the other mom and tell her that these books were available free at the library, however my daughter did not have permission to loan them out and we required them back immediately.

They have never been allowed to loan out video games and the like. too much hassle

Comment

Hubby lent out a gaming book once, went to the guy's house for the weekly RPG game, and saw his friend was using the book as a pizza plate. The cover was ruined by grease stains.

Yeah, he never, ever lends his stuff to anyone. Even I, his loving wife of almost 20 years, am under suspicion if I want to borrow something of his.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                The cover was ruined by grease stains.
                IMHO, that would've called for grabbing the book and whacking him on the back of the head with it.

Comment

I lent a friend a couple of books as he was going on vacation, and his father borrowed them from him & utterly trashed them. I was pissed!

Another time, a friend had a cooker failure & needed a way to keep themselves & their little ones fed, so I lent them my hand-me-down microwave. It was one of the first models in the UK, heavy duty, high wattage even compared to modern models (600W, 30+ years ago!) and with a big turntable back when they were the exception rather than the norm; my father claimed to have won it in a competition, although with hindsight I suspect he said that to keep my mother happy (he was a gadget freak, she's almost a luddite.) When I moved to a new place without a stove & wanted it back, they'd only gone & pawned it...
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Don't get me started about loaning tools. You never get them back or if you do- broken. No so bad if it's under free replacement. But crap you broke it, you exchange it.
                    Last guy that tried to "help himself" to my toolbox nearly found out why the handle I just slammed on the table next to him to warn him is called a breaker bar.
                    I've also lost so many good books to loans. People wonder why I'm borderline OCD about my stuff.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Don't even loan MONEY to, or buy stuff for, your friends, unless you can be sure that they will pay you back immediately. March them right over to an ATM if you have to. I learned that the hard way many years ago.
                      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

My little brother used to sell bags of my Lego's to his friends.

I had giant tubs of them.

And he always sold the "Good" ones at he bottom of the tub.

Also, sold a game to a friend, and lent them an extra controller to play it. Guess who never got it back, and guess who claimed that the controller had also been sold. -_-
                        I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                        In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

What was the Game Boy game?
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I leant Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to my fiance's uncle.

That was six years ago.
                            DA| Youtube|Twitter

Comment

Most of my friends have learned not to ask to borrow my tools. Amongst other things, I'm a handyman for hire. My tools are my livelihood. I'd rather help and get paid nothing. At least that way I know the tools were used correctly and not abused.

My biggest pet peeve when it comes to people borrowing tools is when they damage something. Wouldn't be a problem if they just coughed up the $ so I could replace it. Where it pisses me off is when they try and hide the damage or "it was that way when I got it". Or what my idjit buddy Puddin loves to do. "Oh, I'll buy you a replacement" and then gets the cheapest possible replacement. Like for like, you neanderthal. Don't snap my $100 blade for cutting fiber cement siding and then tell me the $10 blade from HF is gonna do the same thing. That $10 blade on fiber cement is like someone trying to stick a 3 cylinder from a geo metro in a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X