Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your entire account information means just that!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your entire account information means just that!

In my line of work, whenever I get a customer who wants to talk about their account, it is mandatory to verify their entire account information. Much of the time, it's just the address that we need if it's for something general. If it's for something more extreme, like providing password information or username information, we need to verify their entire social security number and birthdate.

I get calls that go like this every day:

Me: Thank you for calling, my name is greensinestro. How can I help you?

SC: I need to talk about my account.

Me: All right, will you please verify the entire name and billing address?

SC: 400 Nerd Lane (Pause)

Me: Sir, the entire name and address please.

SC: I just told you, 400 Nerd Lane.

Me: Yes, that is the street, but I need the name and entire billing address.

SC: Look, I pay the bill on that account and need to discuss it.

And it goes on and on from there. When our observing teams listens to us, if we do not verify the entire address, it is not a satisfactory call. A while back, I had this happen because I verified everything, except for the zip code on the account. Picky, picky, but now I see why that is. There is a high rate of fraud out there now, and much of the time when you get an SC like what I described above, it tells you that you most likely are not dealing with a down to Earth honest person.

Lordy lordy, I know how you feel. I've gotten so used to prompting "...city state and zip code?" that I've accidentally cut off a person or two that was just pausing before going on. Pausing a little long, but at least they are in the top 20% of knowing what a full address is. Sheesh!

If I'd paid attention, I bet I could also pinpoint the areas of the country that you need to dial an area code even for calling next door. They're the ones that don't need to be asked the area code *after* they gave the rest of the ph#.
    Someone called in from my hometown area yesterday and he gave that area code like a champ - we've had 10-digit phone numbers for something like 8 years or more.

Comment

We have a lot of problems with stuff like this as well--people who know full well I need their site ID/customer number, but who never have it handy and get pissy with me if I have to look it up.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
      X