This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Box Art Nazi

Oh. My. God. Not only was today busier than all hell, but I got to contend with an SC who easily qualifies for my top ten (not that I keep an official list....)

To make an otherwise very long story short, I will summarize. We are currently offering a Maxtor 300GB hard drive in our flyer. The flyer has a picture, which happens to be of the older packaging for the drive. We have the drive in stock, but in the new packaging which is smaller and has different box art.

Enter our SC. He had already given one of my co-workers a load of shit about this drive before I dealt with him (though I didnt' know that at the time). He wanted the drive, but INSISTED that we get him one with the box as pictured in the flyer, because he was CONVINCED that it wasn't the same drive.

Among other things, he claimed that it wasn't the same UPC number (even though he couldn't know the UPC without having seent he original box). I showed him conclusively that it was the same SKU as advertised. Still he refused to believe me, and demanded that I order him the one in the flyer. I assured him that unless the waqrehouse just happened to have an older one laying around and they just happened to pick that one, then in all likelihood he'd get the new package, which I had right there in my hand.

Finally he demanded a manager. I summoned Al, our "new" sales manager who replaced Dan several weeks ago. Al told this guy the exact same thing I did, including the fact that we can't just order an old package because it's all by SKU, and the new package has the same SKU.

SC: Order THIS one for me, please.

Al: Sir, I have it right here.

SC: Order THIS one for me please.

Al: Sir, I know this is the right drive. It's the same SKU. It's just a different box.

SC: I don't trust your knowledge.

Al: Excuse me?

SC: I DO NOT TRUST YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

(I wanted to punch him for that )

Al: Fine, then by all means get this elsewhere.

Al: I can't sir.

Al: I CAN'T sir.

Al: Sir you're being very uncooperative. I'll have to ask you to leave if you continue.

Al: I can NOT do that.

SC: Get your manager.

Yes, he asked the MANAGER for his manager. Seriously, Of course, the GM is still out because of his knee injury, so Al just brought Alice over, who flatly staed the same thing we'd already told him (literally) dozens of times already and walked off. Unfortunately, Al did not follow through his threat to kick the guy out

SC: Order me THIS one please!

Al: Ok sir, fine. You want it ordered, be my guest, but like I said, it'll probably be THIS one *waves the new box.*

SC: Then I will return it.

This is the SHORT version. This whole incident spanned fifteen minutes at least and five employees. Making matters worse: this buttface ordered the drive for in-store pickup, so there's going to be a Round 2 if the new packaging shows up (which it almost certainly will). SO glad I'm not going to be there when it comes in. Though in a way, I'd like to be there just to see him get thrown out, as Al said if he complains, he's getting booted and banned (and I don't think he was bluffing this time).
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

At least he kept saying "please"!

*Ducks*

*Stands back up*

One would......*Takes thrown Easy Button to the forehead*

OWWWW!!

......uhhh....one would almost have to hope that it does come in the new packaging, even if he's going to raise hell about it, because if it happened to come in in the old box, then he was "right", and all of you were "lying".

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

I hope he gets it in the new packaging. It's A BOX. The product inside is what matters. Do people not realizes that companies redesign the packaging every so often based on current trends. Seesh.

Comment

Well, at least this guy asked for a manager; I've had all too many people go in circles with me for anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes (even repeating the same line over and over and over, etc) without doing so. And being over the phone, you can't do much more than press buttons to try and get the 'I want your manager' line out of them, which some, oddly enough, don't have in their vocabulary.
        Call centers: A little piece of hell, with flourescent lighting!

Comment

This one seems like a no brainer. Order one in for him, but first tell him that since they don't have one in stock, he'll have to put down a deposit for it in case he doesn't show up.

SC: Order one for me, please?

MG: Put down a deposit for me, please?

SC: Will you not order one for me, please?

MG: Will you not put down a deposit for me, please?

(and repeat)
          Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Non-refundable

Quoth allniter View Post
            This one seems like a no brainer. Order one in for him, but first tell him that since they don't have one in stock, he'll have to put down a deposit for it in case he doesn't show up.
            Make that a non-refundable deposit. IE. say 10-15% to pay for the time wasted if he refuses the new drive.

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
              *Takes thrown Easy Button to the forehead*

You deserved it.

But it was worth it for the laugh.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Holy Cow! You HAVE to keep us updated. I want to punch and kick this guy until he is nothing but a stump, and I never even met him. Yes, I MUST know how this one turns out!
                "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

And another thing.....

If the box from the flyer DID come in, I would not let the dumbfu*k know. I would still insist that the new box (with the new art) was the one they sent in.

Seriously, I hope more than anything that the new one comes in. I would be fuming if the one he wanted was sent in!!!!!!

Please, don't let your manager give him what he wants!
                  "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

It just occurred to me - he's probably either illiterate, or functionally illiterate. He's used to using box art to determine if something is the thing he's after - he may not be able to read the text.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think the sale should've been refused. He threatened problems if the drive's box did not meet his specification, the managers know beforehand that this will cause loses to the company, you're not forced to sell anything to prospective clients. tell him his bussiness is not welcome, he has 5 minutes to vacate premises or police will be called on him.
                      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                        one would almost have to hope that it does come in the new packaging, even if he's going to raise hell about it, because if it happened to come in in the old box, then he was "right", and all of you were "lying".

Mike
                        Yeah. That would be a bad thing, but.....

Quoth WHShit View Post
                        If the box from the flyer DID come in, I would not let the dumbfu*k know. I would still insist that the new box (with the new art) was the one they sent in.

Seriously, I hope more than anything that the new one comes in. I would be fuming if the one he wanted was sent in!!!!!!
                        ....if I happen to be there, and it does come in the older box, I'm seriously going to suggest that we switch it for a new one. It's the same SKU so it's not going to screw anything up except this guy

Quoth allniter View Post
                        Oh I've already got that beat. At Staples, all orders must be fully paid for in advance. So even if he doesn't show up, we've been paid for the drive.

Quoth WHShit View Post
                        Holy Cow! You HAVE to keep us updated. I want to punch and kick this guy until he is nothing but a stump, and I never even met him. Yes, I MUST know how this one turns out!
                        Unfortunately, I have three days off starting today. The drive is due in on Wednesday Sept 5. Unless the guy waits until Friday or later (or I get summoned in for an extra shift) then I will not be there to see it. Though I'm sure if the new box comes in and all hell breaks loose I will hear about it. So yes, I will try my best to find out what happens.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        It just occurred to me - he's probably either illiterate, or functionally illiterate. He's used to using box art to determine if something is the thing he's after - he may not be able to read the text.
                        He was reading text out of the flyer, so no, that's not his problem.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Unfortunately, Al did not follow through his threat to kick the guy out
                          BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                            He was reading text out of the flyer, so no, that's not his problem.
                            Dang. And here I thought I'd figured him out. Now I'm just puzzled.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post

Al: I CAN'T sir.

Al: Sir you're being very uncooperative. I'll have to ask you to leave if you continue.

I like how this dickwad SC just repeats himself, like a f*&^%n' machine. "If I just repeat myself, this insolent serf will get the point and order the non-existent thing I am asking for."

On your behalf, I hereby wish a terrible misfortune upon this SC.
                              Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
                              mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X