X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
    Aww, so you're not a Toys "Я" Us kid?
    OT but why on earth do companies do that? Misspell words in order to teach kids that miss spelling is acceptable....
    MMO Addicts group

Comment

The most common one is, "Pak." Is it so hard to remember the c? Is c just the least cool letter of the alphabet, and no one told me? Seriously?

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
        The most common one is, "Pak." Is it so hard to remember the c? Is c just the least cool letter of the alphabet, and no one told me? Seriously?
        Actually, that stuff gets people's attention. I'm pretty sure Mortal Kombat wouldn't have been nearly as popular if it had been Mortal Combat.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Your telling me a single letter makes all the difference? (Never played that game either)
          MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
            Your telling me a single letter makes all the difference? (Never played that game either)
            It's mostly true. If your mind sees what it expects to see, it glazes over and moves on. You can only pay attention to I believe it's 5 things at a time, and only 2 would move into short term memory (learned this a fair number of years ago, so it is a bit hazy), but if your brain notices something out of the ordinary, it forces a closer examination to reconcile it with expectations. Unfortunately, with the rise of bad grammar, and so many companies purposefully misspelling names, it doesn't have the impact it once did. Besides, it's also easier to trademark "Mortal Kombat" and the such, as it's not just two regular words in conjunction.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
              Actually, that stuff gets people's attention. I'm pretty sure Mortal Kombat wouldn't have been nearly as popular if it had been Mortal Combat.
              True, but sadly that did screw up my spelling of "combat" for quite a few years. Heck, it still feels weird spelling it with a "c". >.<
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I actually have been ribbing one of my coworkers about that, recently. He tends to get ahead of himself when using the IM at work, and will hit Send/Enter before realizing a misspelling. It got particularly bad when we did our Fantasy Football draft online, to the point where I started telling him that if he couldn't spell the player's name right, he wasn't allowed to draft him.

And while anti-climactic, the ending to this story is hopefully for the best--maybe the SC even *gasp* learned something!
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

True, but sadly that did screw up my spelling of "combat" for quite a few years. Heck, it still feels weird spelling it with a "c". >.<
                  I know! I got points off in school for spelling it "kombat" after a binge of MK over the weekend.

Aaaaaaand back ON topic.... any word yet on Mr. BAN coming back to make a day-late-dollar-short fuss after taking it home?
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Try operating the things. I just ended up misspelling the first part, to "MoreDull Kombat".

And when things got flakey, it became "Mortal Wombat". Which, IMO, would have been a real interesting game.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                      And when things got flakey, it became "Mortal Wombat". Which, IMO, would have been a real interesting game.
                      And it was parodied as such on Cow&Chicken.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                        Aaaaaaand back ON topic.... any word yet on Mr. BAN coming back to make a day-late-dollar-short fuss after taking it home?
                        To the best of my knowlegde, no.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                          Try operating the things. I just ended up misspelling the first part, to "MoreDull Kombat".

No, no, no.... it's Immoral Wombat! Get it right.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            No, no, no.... it's Immoral Wombat! Get it right.

^-.-^
                            "Immoral Wombat"
                            I for one salute this parkade ninja of yours. ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

"Hi sexy wombat-chick. How you doin' ?"
                              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                                I absolutely despise cutesy spellings for words.

^-.-^

WOW! I have finally found someone who has the same strange quirk as I do! I HATE when people and companies misspell words to look "cute" or "cool". I also hate when people use numbers for words (4=for) and one letter for a word (u=you). It really makes me angry. I guess it is best explained as "I feel that things like this are happening in order to cater to the people in the world that can't be bothered, or that speak in slang...in other words, the dumbasses".

**Disclaimer 1: Not everyone who speaks slang is a dumbass, but you know what I mean. (I also hate that I have to write this....."PC" is the way to be!)

I never use slang and have never used it in proper conversation. I WILL use it when being sarcastic (That pizza was the shiznit, dawg) and then laugh with whoever I am with at the stupidity of what I just said, but that is it. When I was in High School I was referred to as the "professor" as I always spoke (or tried to speak) properly.

**Disclaimer 2: I also know that I am not perfect and am in no way saying that I am better than anyone.

Perhaps my hatred goes deeper than yours, and perhaps I am a bit insane, but there you go.

SMILES!
                                "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Working...
                                X