This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Automatically = Illegal Immigrant

So, I'm at Wal-Mart, at the self-check, doing my usual thing...standing at the self-check at 10 at night, with no one around, chucking two pounds of pennies into the machine to pay for $13 of groceries.

Now, I was wearing my Rey Mysterio shirt. And I was singing his theme music to myself...these lines.

"De el cielo Con mi voz brillo el cielo.
    Alto porque me duele la alma.
    Y deje mi cartera en Tijuana.
    El soldado enmascarado ten cuidado.
    paisa paisa estas pasado."

...I have NO earthly idea if those are the right words, and if so, what all of them mean. But I know the basic gist of the song, know them by heart and sing them.

Since I was already singing in Spanish and just in a silly mood, I did the self-check system in Spanish as well. Seriously, I could probably do it in Roman, all you have to do is follow the pictures of "Scan" and "Finish" and "Pay". But I just like to do it every now and then to listen to the little self-check woman speaking Spanish.

So I-a very white female with gray eyes and bright red hair, BTW-am pouring change into the machine, singing in Spanish, and this old crotch of a woman gets in at the self-check behind me. I'm not paying any attention to her, until I hear her start grumbling to herself.

"Stupid illegals comin' into this country, ruining things, taking jobs..." Etc., etc.

I just ignore her because I'm not in the mood to get into a long political debate (still not, for the record), but after a while, I get the sense that someone is looking at me. So I raise my head from my penny-chucking and look around, and realize that Old Crotch of a Woman (OCW) is glaring at me.

Well, no, not at me. At the cashier standing watch over the self-checks right behind me. And OCW is fussing at her.

"I can't believe you let those people shop here! They should not be in this country, let alone buying our groceries!" Etc., etc. (You know what these people say.)

The lady is just staring back at her, looking back and forth between me and her...and it dawns on me that this woman is talking about ME. Because I'm wearing a shirt with a Mexican wrestler on it, going through the self-check in Spanish, and singing to myself in Spanish...she decided I was an illegal immigrant!

Well, I couldn't decide whether or not to laugh or what, but you all know me.

I went over to OCW, smiling pleasantly, and held out my hand to her. She stared at me, and I loudly proclaimed "HI. I'm American!"

She just stared at me, and her mouth started doing this fish thing...open, closed, open, closed, open, closed. Finally discovering her function, she said "You're working that in Spanish..."

(I'm typing this as best I can...I speak gutter Spanish) "Si! Yo soy Espanol, tu perra loca! I can speak Spanish! And regardless..." I pointed back at the cashier. "Unless I'm robbing the place, or breaking shit, or Osama Bin Laden, she doesn't CARE. Mi denero es as bien as your denero. My money is good regardless! And FURTHER, what world are you from that a white girl with gray eyes and red hair is MEXICAN??"

She continued doing her fish-mouth thing, then abruptly turned back to her register and continued ringing herself out.

I meanwhile, looked at the casher, grinned, and said "Don't you hate how they let stupid people in this country? I mean, they take up all the air and space, am I right?" Then I just stuffed a ten in the machine and left because I was bored with the whole thing.

Seriously, someone tell me exactly what that was all about?
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

I don't know what it was about, but it was damned amusing and as always justice was served, Mysty Style!
    "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
    - Raven

Comment

*blinkblink*

I'm still a little over how she managed to jump from "Singing in Spanish" to "illegal immigrant." I know more than a few people who can sing in foreign languages and yet don't know a bloody word in the language, because they simply learned it by ear. Oi.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

It's for that reason I wanna learn as many langages as I can. Just to mess with people's head. Especally people from other countries coming here. They be talking to each other in Spanish, Chinese, French, German whatever, and I'd be like. "Hey, how are you man?", in their langage. They be like "You speak <blah>.

I'd be like, "I speak all langages!!"
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Speaking of self checkouts and Spanish, and breaking shit. We recently had a situation here in Seattle at a Home Depot (actually just a few miles from where I live).

Some guy was going through the self checkout with a crowbar, and I believe one other item. The instructions come up in Spanish, and he gets pissed, and smashes the shit out of the self check out register with the crowbar he was intending to purchase!

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
            Some guy was going through the self checkout with a crowbar, and I believe one other item. The instructions come up in Spanish, and he gets pissed, and smashes the shit out of the self check out register with the crowbar he was intending to purchase!
            Oh, I wish I could have seen that!
            Last edited by Ree; 09-09-2007, 07:03 AM. Reason: Editing irrelevant parts out of quote
            I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              I know more than a few people who can sing in foreign languages and yet don't know a bloody word in the language, because they simply learned it by ear.
              I used to have that talent.

Oh, and Mysty, not for nothing but now there's hairdye and colored contact lenses.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post

Mike
                Oh, I do hope he was restrained, the police were called, and charges were pressed!
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

He got away, and I haven't heard that he was caught yet.

He left the prybar behind in the cart, so at least he didn't shoplift!

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    I used to have that talent.
                    I can sing along to some Japanese CD's I have. The only Japanese I know is what I learned from anime.

Oh, and I'd say the Old Crotch of a Woman has been Mysty-fied.

Uh...yeah.

"You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

mysty is it wrong that im imagening you in a large over sized shirt, that swallows you up, (possibly yellow...), black pj bottoms, wild red hair (short for some reason) with a big canvos bag with a cent sign on it full of pennys.

Comment

Que guay, jajajajajaja! (So awesome, ahahahaahah!!)
                        Mysty, I do honestly believe we would be the best of friends. Oh yes, you rock.
                        "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

I don't want to start any debates either, but a lot of people have been working hard (and sadly seem to be successful) in establishing to the average gringo mind that anything Spanish = illegal immigrant that TERK YER JAWBZ!!!!!!!
                          "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            Oh, and Mysty, not for nothing but now there's hairdye and colored contact lenses.
                            My metropolitan area has a high percentage of illegal Latinos, and some of them have light colored hair and light colored eyes. Until they speak, you wouldn't know they were from another country.

My area has a huge mix of immigrants from all over the world, so you really can't tell if someone is an immigrant or not until you hear them speak.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Btw Misty not not be a nitpick and you know I love you, but even hair and skin color aren't a fixed rule, go check out my picture in the CS gallery and then remember I'm latinamerican, born, raised and living here in the south american continent.
                              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Working...
                              X