Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure that means Rammstein doing "Te Quiero Puta" makes them Mexican illegals too.
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Oh, trust me, I know as well as anyone that skin and hair and whatnot is not an automatic indicator of race or anything.

It's just that I don't grant most OTHER people that same insight...
      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

While I have known some white Mexicans (my college roomie, for one), a number of Latin Americans who you'd never guess, and I myself have never had someone correctly guess my heritage, I do have to say that I find the root of the story hilarious and sad at the same time.

Crazy old woman hears someone speaking/singing in Spanish, and immediately her brain goes--> "Illegal Immigrant!!!!! Must Rant!!!!" which is kind of funny, but a bit sad. For all she knew, Mysty was doing what I did in high school when I took Spanish--practicing at every possible opportunity!

By the by, though this is a bit off topic, it's still hilarious to me, now that Spanish is a pretty commonly "taken" language in schools and such, how often native speakers will still try to use it to talk amongst themselves. I've had staff here at work, and when out and about make comments, then be shocked when I respond en Espanol. C'mon, there are lots of us white kids who know exactly what they're saying.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

So, the old bat has never heard being multi-lingual?

Around here you get a bit of almost a class thing going between light-skinned Hispanics and darker-skinned ones. The lighter ones, some of whom are whiter than me, think they're better because of their "pure Spanish blood".

What was funny was when I was still at Hasting's, I'd ask one of the guys something in French and they'd answer me in German. Of course, I speak no German, they didn't know French, but we always understood each other!

Now with Gaelic, there's just a handful of people around here that would know what the hell I'm saying.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Stranger things have happened--perhaps she learned something that day.

I've been the "immigrant" myself--in Quebec--and I never "stole a job." How DO you steal a job? With a forklift? Anyway, it takes bravery and wit to go to a new culture and learn a new language. It also takes a hell of a lot of humility to go through Department of Homeland Security's pokings and proddings to get a green card. It just may take more brass ones than most "native" Americans could scratch. A pioneer spirit, if you will--a little bit like those weird Puritan religious nuts a few hundred years ago, eh?

Comment

This almost makes me want to order this "Speak Klingon" book/audio cassette thingy I saw once...
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I can speak Japanese and French. I'm planning to study in Japan soon and the same for France.

こんにちは、御元気ですか?

Bonjour, jai ne pas parler Espangol, jai prefere Japonais et Francais.

That said, that old woman needs her head examined.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                  I can sing along to some Japanese CD's I have. The only Japanese I know is what I learned from anime.
                  Snazzy cool.

Kinda reminds me of a conversation I had once with the #1 at work boyfriend. He wouldn't lend me his CDs at first because I "couldn't appreciate them at all because [I] wouldn't know what was said". :sigh:

I convinced him otherwise.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Konnichiwa Arenaboy-san

I too am trying to learn japanese. Its something ive always wanted to learn, and I figured Id start back into college with a class I was interested in, until I got back into the homework groove.

I got this Pimsleur stuff, and it works if you stick to it properly. But it can get expensive.
                    i saw an offer, that would take 90 days to complete, but if you could do it that fast, you would be able to speak enough of the language to get by in day to day stuff. You could hold a conversation, for example.
                    http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                    Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I wonder

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                      I can sing along to some Japanese CD's I have. The only Japanese I know is what I learned from anime.

Me too, but I got to wonder what she is going to say about a black man with a British/Jamaican accent sing a J-Pop song.

Comment

I still think you should have gone whole-hog and punched her in her wrinkled old ovaries, but, hey, a verbal beating will suffice in this case.

What I love are the people who bitch about all the not-white people that go to school, being a bunch of stupid foreigners. Right, stupid foreigners with/getting university degrees, mentard...
                        Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post

Guilty! *Still has a crush on Duo maxwell*

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            Now with Gaelic, there's just a handful of people around here that would know what the hell I'm saying.
                            Teach and I will learn.

Comment

You can't really determine hispanic heritage based on hair or eye color. There is this awesome guy who lives near my MIL, bright red hair, green eyes, freckles everywhere. The dude doesn't speak a word of english. He was born and raised in MX, as were his parents and grandparents.
                              Tamezin

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                                Teach and I will learn.
                                Same here. Well, I'd be able to read and write a bit. I SUCK at actually talking in foreign languages.
                                Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X