Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So long old friend. Idiot truck drivers knew you well...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So long old friend. Idiot truck drivers knew you well...

On October 26, crews began the work to raise the 11foot8 bridge.

The 11foot8 bridge Has been an internet favorite for a long time with the many videos of trucks getting ripped open when the drivers failed to see the flashing lights and warnings all around. With it's new height of 12foot4, there will still be trucks to split open. Just not as many.

I hope they reinstall the "can opener" bar and keep the camera going to catch those vehicles that are still too high.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

On Long Island, that's every street named "Parkway". Designer Robert Moses did it in purpose to keep mass transit busses off Long Island. He was a classist jerk
      My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Eh, it just means that all those RV's scraping their air conditioners off will get through fine now. Prolly some moving trucks too, but I don't think eight inches is going to help the majority going through there.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          I hope they reinstall the "can opener" bar and keep the camera going to catch those vehicles that are still too high.
          They installed a new one, there's video on YouTube. Includes a shot of the old one, looking rather bent.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
            They installed a new one, there's video on YouTube. Includes a shot of the old one, looking rather bent.
            I found that video.

They haven't actually raised the railroad bridge yet. According to the Wikipedia article on the bridge that task will take about two weeks.

Comment

So supposedly they are *not* raising it high enough for most of the vehicles hitting it to no longer hit it, though it's going up quite a bit. It'd need another 6 inches or so for semis to clear.

Comment

Jürgen Henn has said that he would gladly give up his site and YouTube if it meant fewer accidents. We might get fewer videos, but it's still a good thing.

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                It'd need another 6 inches ....
                That's something a man doesn't want to hear in bed.
                This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPt4ijPFzc8
                  Here's the latest on the project. Pretty damn cool how it's being done.

There will still be carnage, just less of it, because some of the box trucks that couldn't fit before, will fit now.
                  "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I was wondering how they were going to do. It looks very simple.

Comment

I was wondering how they were going to do. It looks very simple.
                      I was really surprised at the size of the legs supporting the jacks. I also didn't see any blocking to deal with a jack leak down.
                      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It looks like the bridge has reopened and it looks a lot better than the old bridge.

Comment

Is there a guy in Vegas taking bets on when the first truck will get "opened"?

Comment

Is there a guy in Vegas taking bets on when the first truck will get "opened"?
                            How much do you want to bet that's happening right now?

Comment

The BBC has a feature about the can opener bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X