This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How ?!?

As I have mentioned in other posts, I work as a Tech Support Advisor in a large UK supermarket.

Earlier tonight a customer came up to me and asked if I knew anything about phones. I noticed the girls in the phoneshop were busy so I said yes, a bit.

He then explained that his phone battery on his Android phone was discharging very quickly, and he tought that he had installed too many apps (O_o). One of the Apps he had somehow uninstalled was the Google Play Store . He asked if there was any way to get it back. I told him that AFAIK, the only way would be to factory reset his phone and then reload all his information from his gmail account, including his contacts. Slight problem, he doesn't know his password

He then asked me if I would do the factory reset for him. I explained that as he did not know his pw, all that would do would set the phone back to how it was when he bought it, but I would show him how to do it himself when he recovered his gmail password.

How the hell do you delete Play Store from an Adroid phone?

As far as my husband and I know, that would require root access, this being a system app. It might well also require an app to delete "bloatware".
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
      How the hell do you delete Play Store from an Adroid phone?
      Programs like TitaniumBackup. However, as far as I can tell, this requires having root access. Which means this person was just bright enough to follow directions on how to root their equipment but still dangerous enough to wipe out essential programs.
      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
      And it's not what I wanted to be
      The weight on me
      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

He may have just disabled it. In the app management setting you can disable apps that are preloaded. You can also enable them if that's the case.

Comment

I checked his phone, it wasn't just disabled, it was GONE, and I doubt that he was techie enough to be able to get root access

Comment

There were no "parental controls" in use that hide the play store?

Comment

I checked his phone, it wasn't just disabled, it was GONE, and I doubt that he was techie enough to be able to get root access
              I've seen similar on iphones where they have somehow made phone or messages disappear. People do weird stuff to their phones.

Comment

doesn't mean he doesn't know someone who is, or bought the phone second hand.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

He couldn't just download the Play Store apk and run it?
                  You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Quoth BrightEyedKitty View Post
                    He couldn't just download the Play Store apk and run it?
                    it's my understanding that the Play store is where you get the apps, so if you don't have the store, you can't get to the store.

Comment

BrightEyedKitty was probably talking about the possibility of sideloading the Play Store to get it back. Alas, not every phone (or other Android device) actually allows that.

(Grumblegrumble Nook grumblegrumble...)
                      "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
                      X