X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You knew it was strange...

AND YOU CLICKED IT ANY WAY!!

I've been doing IT lately. A few weeks ago, I get a frantic call from a client demanding I get to their office NOWZ! I cancel another appointment and rush there thinking that this had better be bad. I get to the office and they show me a screen that looks like this:

Oh, yeah. It's bad.

For those who don't know, this is ransomware, a nasty one called Cryptolocker. It infects a machine and scans it and all drives it's linked to. It then encrypts all files with a randomized 128-bit key. So all both servers full of data were locked. It can normally be fixed with backups. That's where this story leaves "that sucks" to "customer suck."

When my company took on this client, we told them about all the things we recommended for a business of this type: double backup, nightly drops, all that jazz.

That was too expensive for them, they said. They also didn't want shadow copies on "for security reasons." They had one bit of backup software that overwrote all the information from before daily.

To compound this, there's normally a bit that comes up telling you "If you want your stuff back, pay here." The client decided that they wanted to do that, despite my advice. Well, the anti-virus managed to catch and kill that part. So they couldn't.

I took it home and worked for two days trying to find the key. No go. I finally tell them it's no good. Curious, I asked them how this happened.

He said he got an email from an associate that had no message, no subject, just a link. I asked the client if this person did that often, just sending a link. The answer was no, they normally send a message saying why they were sending it. The client thought it was weird.

And they clicked it anyway.

They fired us but no one in the company was sad about it. The loss of money was bad but this client made this whole ordeal worse than it should have been.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Truly relevant. Truly
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sorry to hear you got fired but I'd love to have seen the conversation with their next IT contractor.

"The first job is to fix this computer please..."

Comment

We had Cryptolocker hit our client last month. Someone got sent an email telling them that the post office tried to deliver a parcel and they needed to click on the link before storage fees were charged. So this person clicked on the link even though they didn't give the post office their email address, Australia Post doesn't charge storage fees for parcels and Australia Post was misspelled. It managed to encrypt 450,000 files on the network before it was stopped by the security team. Luckily all of them were restored from back up. The day after they finished the restore an email to this link was sent out.

New Site Recovers Files Locked by Cryptolocker.

It is a free site run by two IT Security companies that managed to get the Cryptolocker private keys.

Edit: Adding some more details.
        Last edited by TopEndDave; 09-04-2014, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Quoth TopEndDave View Post
          New Site Recovers Files Locked by Cryptolocker.

It is a free site run by two IT Security companies that managed to get the Cryptolocker private keys.
          Ohh, that's some great news! Although I really want to sit down with those guys, buy them a round or six, and get the full story on where they got those master keys.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My guess would be a combination of them being good at what they do, and the fact that most people who end up infected with something like CL wouldn't know an antivirus program from an antelope, so the CL guys probably didn't protect their *own* program all that carefully. Even if 1% of all people they email/bait get infected, and 1% of THEM actually pay up, that's still 0.1% of millions, of emails sent out per week x $100 or $300 or $500, which adds up quickly.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh, I hate that one.

My encounter with it involves a wonderful bit of piece-of-crap-but-somehow-essential software installed on one computer that (a) was originally (and is still) written in VB6 (yes, VB6 ), with all the downsides like requiring administrative privileges, and (b) conflicted horribly with our antivirus software, which their support uninstalled () without installing or recommending a non-conflicting substitute ( ).

That, of course, was the computer that got hit with Cryptolocker.

Fortunately, owing to daily backups of both our servers and that particular computer, we lost maybe a couple of days of files. The good thing to come out of it was that we were then fully justified in demanding a recommendation for an antivirus that wouldn't conflict with the software, like almost immediately, on pain of not renewing our license and going with something else.
              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

I know you IT folk will HATE me for this, but, in my entire life, I've never run any meaningful antivirus programs OR routinely backed myself up, yet, I've been mostly virus free. A lot of that is because I don't download lots of stuff, don't go to questionable online websites and delete immediately any email I wasn't expecting.

That nasty Windows Security thingy got me about 4 years back, but it was sneaky, came in a fake email saying something about FEDEX having a problem with my package, and at the time, I was actually expecting something from them that was overdue.... by the time I realized I'd shot my veins full of malware, it was too late. Fortunately, by then someone had found a way to remove the thing with minimal damage.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I'm the same way. I've had Norton Antivirus from time to time, but it's expensive and I don't always have the money to renew when it expires.

I use good security practices as well; avoid dodgy sites, don't click on email links. use good password protection and change passwords and DON'T send personal information to phishing sites.

I've never had a virus.

My ex got one ONCE while we were married; buried on the CD of a popular software package he was required to install at home by his job so he could complete projects at home.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Well yeah. Backups and decent antivirus software cost more than the 100 smackers they have to pay to some dude in Russia to get their files back.

Some people are too cheap to be making serious business decisions.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      I know you IT folk will HATE me for this, but,... I've never run any meaningful antivirus programs OR routinely backed myself up,
                      No hate here at all Arga, but....

Although anti-virus is a personal preference for home use, it really is essential in a business setting. There's ALWAYS "that guy."

[soapbox]

On the backup front, ransom-ware and other malware are only one reason to have a thorough plan in place. Hard drive failure or home catastrophe can bite you too. Almost all data can be reconstructed given enough time and money, but a lot of people have literally irreplaceable pictures and/or text on their machines. If this is true for you, please please please reconsider. Even something as basic as a pair of externals that you drag and drop 'My Documents' to a couple of times a week and then swap to an offsite location once a month or so could save you a bunch of misery.

[/soapbox]

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        Even something as basic as a pair of externals that you drag and drop 'My Documents' to a couple of times a week and then swap to an offsite location once a month or so could save you a bunch of misery.

[/soapbox]
                        free dropbox, and I have a 1 terabyte external back up drive - music, ebooks, pictures and documents. Cheap protection.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

In the days when I had dial-up internet I had a rogue dialler install itself on my computer. This dialler wanted to dial a premium rate number to connect to the internet (£2.50/minute). Thankfully I had a premium rate call bar on the phone line so every time it attempted connection it would say something like 'connection failed'.

However even though I have antivirus installed (a free copy of AVG), I'm normally very careful of what I download, what emails I open and what I click on. On this occasion though I visited a website that was until that point absolutely fine but then became infected itself. Bang, browser frozen and internet connection dropped after it installed the dialler.

I managed to get it fixed eventually but haven't been back to that website to this day.

I also almost got hit by a browser add-on (not a virus, but bloody annoying) thanks to my (at the time) favourite time-wasting website StumbleUpon. Fortunately a quick system restore fixed that one,

Comment

Actually, Arg, if you can keep your personal computer free of malware by simply being sensible, good for you.

I run AV software at home (Avast!, which is free for personal use, and has the "Pirate English" language pack--essential for any software called "Avast", no?) because others have access to that computer, and I can't necessarily rely on them to be sensible. I don't think any of the people who have access (wife, son, daughter) actually use my computer, but that's beside the point.

I run it at work (Kaspersky Endpoint Security, or Bitdefender for the user with the "special" software) for basically the same reason. The guys on the shop floor are good machinists, they're great at making 3D models... not so much at general computer use. (And then there's the owner, who's fairly dangerous where computers are concerned: he thinks he knows more than he really does. Fortunately, these days, he tends to leave computer stuff to me. And I'm working on limiting everyone's ability to cause damage by pulling local admin rights as machines are added, reinstalled, or replaced.)
                            "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Well yeah. Backups and decent antivirus software cost more than the 100 smackers they have to pay to some dude in Russia to get their files back.

Some people are too cheap to be making serious business decisions.
                              Only the first time. If you get hit multiple times, it adds up quick. Also, most of those scams targeting businesses start at $3-500 that I've seen. Maybe one is running a special?
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X