This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gypsies, Scams, and Thieves (Long)

I worked at 2 different Value City Department Stores in the early 90's. One was in Pittsburgh, one in Baltimore. As many places as I have worked, this place seemed to attract the stupidest criminals.

Gypsies - At least twice a year in Baltimore, they would descend on us like locusts. Usually we were forewarned by other department stores, sometimes we were surprised by their arrival. It usually involved 30-40 of them, all ages from babies to 90 yr olds and Great Googlymoogly these people were good. They would stuff things into grandma's voluminous dresses (grandma came in 90 lbs, tried to leave at 300 lbs), in their numerous baby strollers..to which we required them to remove the kids from the strollers before they could leave, and in large purses. While the women were stripping us of merchandise, the men were trying the quick change tricks on the cashiers. One cashier, who was not pleasant on a good day and a down right demon on the others slapped ones hand when he tried to reach for the register. Because we were so proactive (following them, making them come thru only one cashier, checking all purses, strollers, and grandmas) we really kept our losses to a minimum. They tried to scream racism, we said we could call in the police and let them sort it out. They declined arbitration

Scams - We had these 2 guys who would buy women's lingerie and come fuck me pumps every Friday, and on Monday, without fail. try to return said stuff...that was obviously used We denied them due to return regulations, but they figured if they screamed loud enough for a manager they would get their way. Unfortunately, SM was a senile old coot who ALWAYS gave in!! So after a few weeks of this, we figured out to just call up the department manager, have her say she was the new manager and tell them 'Oh Hell NO!!". It worked and they started leaving us alone.

Women is on camera moving 4 cones that say wet floor, walking on floor that had a spill of liquid potpourri (worker was getting a mop). She, of course, falls and broke her leg. The whole time the medics are attending her, she is screaming "I will sue you losers!! I will own this store!! You are all going to be fired for your carelessness!!" Well, we had the video tape of her moving the comes, our insurance refused to even pay her medical bills and said "Go ahead, try to sue us." She tried, and lost.

Woman goes running for the elevator which is closing (2 story store with one tiny elevator but working escalators). She is holding a small infant in her arms and she dives into the elevator, but unfortunately, doors close on her infants head because she is holding the poor thing like a rag doll. Now, as soon as the doors feel something, they immediately open..kid isn't hurt (but is crying from probably being startled) but we call the medics and the whole time, this mother of the year is screaming how she is going to sue, we will owe her millions of dollars wahwahwah. Again, video tape, witness statements from the others on the elevator and standing at the service desk (these people were volunteering because this idiot put her own baby at risk) got her zip, zero, nada.

New employee - Claims she hurt her back lifting stock, was on comp but missed a few appointments with the dr's, so insurance sends an investigator to follow her. Investigator has video of her at a pool, playing chicken with some others which she is claiming to be bed ridden and permanently disabled. Had to pay back money that she had received, was fired, and threatened with being charged with insurance fraud.

Thieves
    That is one hell of a headache - Guy stole 60 bottles of pain reliever..just basic aspirin but all different brands. Stuffed them down his pants and when he crossed the thresh hold of the store where security could nail him, he started running..leaving a trail of bottles falling out his pants legs. Next time Skippy, wear sweat pants..they hold better!

Guy comes to service desk with a $49.99 track suit...no bag no receipt but he has it all balled up. He says he wants to return it and I stepped over (was ACSM) because I had a feeling. I told him without a receipt, I could only do an even exchange so if he wanted to pick a new one he could and I would start the paperwork. When he wondered off, I called the security guy and told him to check the cameras because the guy had stolen it and was trying to return it. How did I know it was stolen, they asked. Because it was 5 degrees out that morning and the 2 previous returns handed to me where cold from being outside...this wasn't cold. They watched footage and BAM!!! there he was under the rack taking it off the hanger, stuffing it in his coat, walking out and right back in. Repeat offender with warrants..got to ride in the pretty car with lights.

Head of Security not understanding job description- Guy was an ass who a few of us just had a hinky feeling about. About 3 months after he was hired, at closing, he is 'securing' the loading doors. Actually he was wheeling out a rack of Van Heusen mens suits...16 in all, to his car. Other security guy is watching camera in wonderment and called manager who walked around the back of the store and BUSTED.

If I show you my boobs, can you let me leave?- I would get called in when a female was tagged for shoplifting because the guys knew better than to have them alone in their offices while waiting for cops. So I go back as they are perp walking 2 14 year old girls to the office. I help do the inventory of the stuff they had put in their purses, pockets,coats while the one is just shaking and the other keeps saying to security guy "Can I just show you my boobs? Will that help get me out of here??" He finally snaps and says "I'm gay and you're a kid, so no!" Momma gets there, and while the police are conferring with security about charges vs banishment and scaring shitless, the mother asks her daughter "Did you offer yourself? Did you tell him what you would do if he let you go?" We all sloooowly turn and just look at her. Cop released scared girl to her pissed off dad, took hooker in training to station to call CPS.

Whew..I am sure there will be more that rattle in my brain..but these are my favorites

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
    If I show you my boobs, can you let me leave?- I would get called in when a female was tagged for shoplifting because the guys knew better than to have them alone in their offices while waiting for cops. So I go back as they are perp walking 2 14 year old girls to the office. I help do the inventory of the stuff they had put in their purses, pockets,coats while the one is just shaking and the other keeps saying to security guy "Can I just show you my boobs? Will that help get me out of here??" He finally snaps and says "I'm gay and you're a kid, so no!" Momma gets there, and while the police are conferring with security about charges vs banishment and scaring shitless, the mother asks her daughter "Did you offer yourself? Did you tell him what you would do if he let you go?"

OH...MY...GOD.

Comment

Um

F*ck

How can a mother raise a kid that way?!

Comment

Because, from the looks of it, that is how mom handled life...quick trip on her knees and all is solved

Comment

If I show you my boobs, can you let me leave?- I would get called in when a female was tagged for shoplifting because the guys knew better than to have them alone in their offices while waiting for cops. So I go back as they are perp walking 2 14 year old girls to the office. I help do the inventory of the stuff they had put in their purses, pockets,coats while the one is just shaking and the other keeps saying to security guy "Can I just show you my boobs? Will that help get me out of here??" He finally snaps and says "I'm gay and you're a kid, so no!" Momma gets there, and while the police are conferring with security about charges vs banishment and scaring shitless, the mother asks her daughter "Did you offer yourself? Did you tell him what you would do if he let you go?" We all sloooowly turn and just look at her. Cop released scared girl to her pissed off dad, took hooker in training to station to call CPS.
          1. I'm too young to be so jaded as to say I'm not really surprised a mother could raise a child this way.

2. Sadly this probably worked at least one time if baby momma is suggesting her daughters do this.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

2. Sadly this probably worked at least one time if baby momma is suggesting her daughters do this.
            This is likely how the daughter was conceived.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

1. I can't imagine deliberately slipping and falling hard enough to break a leg.

2. I'm trying to figure out any reasonable way to hold an infant (while supporting the head) where the infant would be hit by elevator doors and not be shielded by the adult. So all I can think of is unreasonable ways, so ... candidate for 'mother of the year'.

3. .... and then I read the last story. And .
              (BTW: I assume 'scared girl' who was released to 'pissed off dad' is a different family, presumably hooker-in-training's friend, and the pissed off dad was going to take his daughter and teach her not to steal. And that being a slut is NOT how one gets out of trouble.)
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                1. I can't imagine deliberately slipping and falling hard enough to break a leg.
                Sadly, in the hopes of her 'big payout' that she no doubt 'deserves', I could see someone doing that - mo injury, mo money.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                2. I'm trying to figure out any reasonable way to hold an infant (while supporting the head) where the infant would be hit by elevator doors and not be shielded by the adult. So all I can think of is unreasonable ways, so ... candidate for 'mother of the year'.
                Looking at the OP, looks like she was basically carrying the infant by the back of their cloths (kinda like palming a rugby ball). Horrible parenting.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                3. .... and then I read the last story. And .
                (BTW: I assume 'scared girl' who was released to 'pissed off dad' is a different family, presumably hooker-in-training's friend, and the pissed off dad was going to take his daughter and teach her not to steal. And that being a slut is NOT how one gets out of trouble.)
                Yeah I'm imagining both kids are in troube - Scared Girl for f*ckling up and shoplifting, Slut for not f*cking someone to get out of it.
                How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

"Can I just show you my boobs?"
                  "Sorry, I'm only interested in 2D girls."
                  Last edited by otakuneko; 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Scared girl was hooker girls friend..but I am sure not after that. The woman who broke her leg...well, I don't think she meant to break a leg, but was a complete EW who could not believe that we weren't responsible for her being an idiot and purposefully walking into a spill. As far as how she was holding the baby...I unfortunately see a lot of young girls hold their babies like she was. In the crook of her arm with the head hanging over her crooked elbow...no support for the little head.

Comment

.I unfortunately see a lot of young girls hold their babies like she was. In the crook of her arm with the head hanging over her crooked elbow...no support for the little head.
                      Bwhu?! I have held a total of....3 babies in my life, never for more than a few minutes each one and even *I* know that is wrong wrong wrong!

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                        Bwhu?! I have held a total of....3 babies in my life, never for more than a few minutes each one and even *I* know that is wrong wrong wrong!
                        ^^ This. Having held exactly 1 baby in my entire life, even I know that this is wrong. Makes me wonder what rock they were hiding their head under.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Tell me CPS was called on the elevator scammer.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm glad they called CPS for the shoplifting incident. Makes one wonder if Mom isn't pimping her out for other things as well.
                            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Parent- or medical-types, please correct me if I'm wrong, but: isn't holding an infant without supporting their head a good way to break their neck?
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X