This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the lady that yelled at me the other day

because *Gasp* there's sales tax in florida?!

Fuck you.

That is all.
    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Considering your location, this surprises me not.

People down here be CRAZY!
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I hated being questioned about tax. I mean seriously, what rock do you live under that makes you think tax is not added to your purchases? I got so sick and tired of having to show people on receipts just why their purchases had an extra dollar or so added on and then have them lose their mind over it. And to the people who work for tax exempt entities, your purchases for your organization are tax exempt, but the invitations you had done for your little princesses birthday party? Those are not exempt no matter how much you argue with me. Trust me when I say it is not just Florida

Comment

Oh, oh, oh! What about people who buy a load of stuff and then claim to be tax exempt with no proof? Isn't that a riot!?
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
          I hated being questioned about tax. I mean seriously, what rock do you live under that makes you think tax is not added to your purchases? I got so sick and tired of having to show people on receipts just why their purchases had an extra dollar or so added on and then have them lose their mind over it.
          Well actually, there are a five states that don't have sales tax (Alaska, Montana, Oregon, New Hampshire and Delaware), but I do find it kind of hard to believe that people in those states don't realize that most states do charge sales tax.

Comment

Well,
            Alaska I could see as not knowing. some of those people are really isolated.
            The other states residents I bet they know, but think that because they are from X state you can't tax them.

Comment

Our new registers require a customer account number for tax-exempt anything to be enabled. Which increases the amount of paperwork we need, but is good because the old registers just needed one keypress (no proof). You're tax exempt? OK, then you know what paperwork we need. You don't? Sorry, we can't give you the exemption unless we have the letter. So far, nobody's tried to forge that but I'm waiting for someone to try (that would also clarify if our system connects to a larger database to verify the accounts).

I get complaints about the bottle/can deposit. One guy didn't think it was 'fair' that he had to pay the deposit on his case of Coke but not the case of Nestea. Sorry, you'll have to take that up with the state.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                Well actually, there are a five states that don't have sales tax (Alaska, Montana, Oregon, New Hampshire and Delaware), but I do find it kind of hard to believe that people in those states don't realize that most states do charge sales tax.
                And Washington doesn't have a state income tax, but our sales taxes are nuts.

For example, in the city of Seattle there's a 9.5% sales tax, and if you're parking there's an additional 12.5% parking tax. But people have heard that there's "no tax" in Washington and I guess it never occurs to them there's more than one kind of tax.

Comment

Uncle Sam always gets his cut.

If you don't want to pay sales tax, move to Delaware.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                    I once worked in retail, and recall one time having a customer from Montana not understand why he had to pay sales tax on a purchase he was making in Wisconsin. He thought I was trying to rip him off.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      I get complaints about the bottle/can deposit. One guy didn't think it was 'fair' that he had to pay the deposit on his case of Coke but not the case of Nestea. Sorry, you'll have to take that up with the state.
                      That one is especially stupid, because you get that deposit back as long as you recycle the cans.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                        And Washington doesn't have a state income tax, but our sales taxes are nuts.

But people have heard that there's "no tax" in Washington and I guess it never occurs to them there's more than one kind of tax.
                        Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        Uncle Sam always gets his cut.

If you don't want to pay sales tax, move to Delaware.
                        Simple solution: get a job in Washington and live in Delaware. No income tax, no sales tax - but the commute is a killer, and you'll spend a fortune on gas.

As for there being more than one form of tax:

But those are carpet tacks!
                        They're tea tacks now!
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I get that all the time, working in a tourist trap. My record is a twenty minute argument with one lady, who kept trying to hand me only the amount listed on the tag, and would not fork over the extra dollar for tax.

What baffles me is that I can't figure out how so many of them are making their very first purchase in the state at my location, to have not discovered the sales tax exists yet.

Comment

I spent a while in Idaho around the turn of the century, near the Oregon border. We'd buy sodas in the local store (no deposit), then return them to stores over the border (deposits returned) when we visited friends there - the only time we had a problem was when I first went over and "foolishly" crushed everything like I did at home so we could carry it more easily... The store got paid for volume rather than weight, so refused our returns
                            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Actually, simple fix:
                              "OK, sir, I'll add an equivalent surcharge to your Nestea"
                              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
                              X