Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In NJ, we have no tax on clothing or shoes. I had a head scratcher a couple of weeks ago. Customer came in, and I can't recall which state she was from, but she asked if we could send her things to her home, as she had no room in her suitcase. I think now, if i recall, it was Arkansas, which has i think 9% sales tax.

so no problem to send them, BUT, as we have to put it in the system as such, and it was going to her home, she paid about $60-70 in tax on a $400+ purchase. When she probably could have just taken them with her, and mailed them herself for much less.

what's funny is she didn't even KNOW what the tax rate was; she said oh, its 4-5%

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
      Considering your location, this surprises me not.

People down here be CRAZY!
      As another Florida resident, I agree.

People FLIP OUT when their daily paper is $1.06 (yes, we charge tax). Get your nickel and penny together, dammit. It's not a big deal.
      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth Mamochan View Post
        Well,
        Alaska I could see as not knowing. some of those people are really isolated.
        The other states residents I bet they know, but think that because they are from X state you can't tax them.
        This is exactly what happened lol.

She also had a coupon for $2 off a bottle of bacardi and complained that it took it off the post tax total and not pre tax. You got your 2 dollars off the bottle you insensitive old bat. Now fuck off.

I'm so glad I most likely will not see her ever again, because everything about her screamed tourist.

Considering your location, this surprises me not.

People down here be CRAZY!
        Hahaha, oh yeah, especially the area of town I work in. I get some *real* winners.
        Last edited by EricKei; 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
        If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Simple solution: get a job in Washington and live in Delaware. No income tax, no sales tax - but the commute is a killer, and you'll spend a fortune on gas.
          My niece lived and worked in Vancouver, Washington and crossed the bridge to shop in Oregon. No income tax in one state and no sales tax in the other.
          Not a bad plan 'til she bought a car in Oregon, Washington got her when she registered it.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            That one is especially stupid, because you get that deposit back as long as you recycle the cans.
            A lot of people see that as not worth it; only way to get the deposit back is to chuck them into the bottle-redemption machines. That has resulted in a small cadre of non-customers whose only business there is to hog the machines (sometimes jam them) and harass the service desk when they can't redeem a can from a non-deposit state.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth pzychobitch
              Hahaha, oh yeah, especially the area of town I work in. I get some *real* winners.
              Thank God, I've noticed the traffic thinning a bit. I think some of the snowbirds have left, although a good portion of them wait until after Easter.

Good riddance! I hate that the true heat is coming, but I'm looking forward to the traffic dying down and them not clogging up the stores and restaurants.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Simple solution: get a job in Washington and live in Delaware. No income tax, no sales tax - but the commute is a killer, and you'll spend a fortune on gas.
                !
                well if montana has no sales tax and its basically right next door to washington that would make more since for your live work arrangement

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                  well if montana has no sales tax and its basically right next door to washington that would make more since for your live work arrangement
                  Are you forgetting that they'd have to climb over a big pile of potatoes on their commute?

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post

People FLIP OUT when their daily paper is $1.06 (yes, we charge tax). Get your nickel and penny together, dammit. It's not a big deal.
                  Why doesn't the daily paper do what the Toronto Star does - set a cover price so that when the tax is added in, it comes out to a nice round number ($1 M-W, $2 Th, F, Su, $3 Sa)? Of course, the Toronto Sun does it the same way as your daily paper - a PITA.

Quoth pzychobitch View Post
                  She also had a coupon for $2 off a bottle of bacardi and complained that it took it off the post tax total and not pre tax. You got your 2 dollars off the bottle you insensitive old bat.
                  I see what you did there. In some jurisdictions (and I presume it's even more strict where alcohol is involved), coupons are required to come off the after-tax price. After all, we can't deprive the government of their cut.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post

They do the same thing here in NC when they buy their newspaper in the grocery store.

Sorry folks, computer charges sales tax on newspapers and we can't override it. Anything you buy in the grocery store is set up that way and we have no control over it.

You have two options: buy the paper or don't buy the paper. Either way you'll be out of my hair in a couple of seconds anyway and my day will be better again.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      You have two options: buy the paper or don't buy the paper.
                      If you don't want to pay the tax, buy your paper from a vending machine. It adds too much complexity to the mechanism to be able to charge $1.06, so they "eat" the tax and sell it for the cover price.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Thank God, I've noticed the traffic thinning a bit. I think some of the snowbirds have left, although a good portion of them wait until after Easter.

Good riddance! I hate that the true heat is coming, but I'm looking forward to the traffic dying down and them not clogging up the stores and restaurants.
                        I look at it this way. At least I don't work at the disney store in this chain.

But yes i know exactly what you're talking about!
                        If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I see what you did there. In some jurisdictions (and I presume it's even more strict where alcohol is involved), coupons are required to come off the after-tax price. After all, we can't deprive the government of their cut.
                          OMFG I only noticed it after I read your post! LMAO

Bacardi's a hot seller at my store and I routinely forget that a picture of a bat (most likely this hosebeast's [sorry to whoever i stole this from] great grand mother) is on the bottle lol

Comment

Quoth MaseMan View Post
                            I once worked in retail, and recall one time having a customer from Montana not understand why he had to pay sales tax on a purchase he was making in Wisconsin. He thought I was trying to rip him off.
                            Considering the Montanan is surrounded by States with sales taxes it shouldn't have come as a surprise.

You ever have to explain to an Airman that yes the Federal gov't is exempt from tax, sales tax, not use and excise taxes. Yeah that was fun. We don't list the taxes separately on service calls to the Airbase anymore - saves on forehead bruises.
                            Last edited by Cia; 04-16-2014, 03:57 AM.
                            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth MaseMan View Post
                              I once worked in retail, and recall one time having a customer from Montana not understand why he had to pay sales tax on a purchase he was making in Wisconsin. He thought I was trying to rip him off.
                              That's probably because some of the states around them coddle them with reciprocity. Prove you're from there? Bam! We'll exempt you. They probably feel that they pay enough in property taxes to be exempt 3 states away.
                              πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

Comment

I get that a lot around here, especially for those that think that food shouldn't be taxable. I live in an area where sales taxes range from 9-11%, depending on what you're buying. I can't take the taxes off and can't do a damn thing about it.
                                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X