Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Give me credit for free stuff!" (short one)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Give me credit for free stuff!" (short one)

The paper publishes a "Happy Birthday to..." list several times a week. That dept no longer accepts phone calls for this: Name has to be submitted by fax, email or regular mail.

Customer came in today complaining that her relative's name didn't make into the paper and "this made her look bad." She wanted credit on her newspaper subscription.

Yes - she wanted credit for something unrelated in any way to newspaper delivery; and something for which we do not charge.

I'll give her a point because the email she sent the name to is, I have recently learned, not always checked on a timely basis, and she had no way to know this. But c'mon lady...if that's the worst thing that happens to you this week, you're damn lucky!

She didn't get any credit on her account.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Your paper did not acknowledge my dog's birthday either. Please call my local paper and arrange for a credit to my subscription there please.

(Hey, it makes about as much sense...)

Comment

Just tell her that you would be more than happy to grant her credit for the full amount she paid for the name insertion Then, send her a Credit Memo for zero dollars and zero cents.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Haha, EricKei, I like that idea! "Ma'am, you will get exactly as much credit as you paid us for the listing."

And Sms001, I think we need to start a new listing just for pets' birthdays...
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          And Sms001, I think we need to start a new listing just for pets' birthdays...
          ARRRGGHHHhhhh! don't get me started on those people. Birthday parties for cats, indeed. Like every day isn't one for the spoiled little things.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            ... Birthday parties for cats, indeed...
            Cheryl Wheeler obliges
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The way SCs have such a distorted one-sided view of not only what counts as "inconvenience" but also of what constitutes fair "compensation" reminds me of a quote attributed to Mel Brooks on the difference between tragedy and comedy.

"Tragedy is when I sub my toe, comedy is when you fall down an open sewer and die"

I like the idea of cutting her a $0 check...but sadly, that would just encourage her to hire someone to figure out the EXACT fractional amount of her electric bill that was caused by her emailing... and demand that, plus the cost of figuring it out, plus charges for the "inconvenience", which by amazing coincidence is just what it costs for a free year of your product.... and so on and so on and so on.

As tempting as it is, the best response to lunacy is to ignore it. Acknowledging it in any way just makes the loonies think they're RIGHT.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Can i get credit because you've missed my last 36 birthdays despite never having subscribed to your newspaper or being in the same part of the country???

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  a quote attributed to Mel Brooks on the difference between tragedy and comedy.

"Tragedy is when I sub my toe, comedy is when you fall down an open sewer and die"
                  I prefer the quote attributed to that great observer on the human condition, GLaDOS:

"Comedy equals tragedy plus time. So I guess it's pretty funny when you do the math."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I see no problem in her receiving a full refund! *eg*
                    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                    X