This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angry decorator infests my desk with bugs

So The Resort is undergoing a major renovation. We have design boards up in the lobby to show off the concepts for the reno.

SC walked up to my front desk. "I just have to say, that as an interior decorator, your colors are all wrong! I've done [name drop major resort] and [name drop major hotel] and received dozens of awards, and I'm telling you that you need to bring in the natural beauty of this area!"

SC then dropped flowers, rocks, bark, and other knick-knacks on my counter and proceeded to lecture me for a solid seven minutes why these colors were right and the colors the owners had decided on were wrong! Did I mention SC had received awards and her work was featured in dozens of magazines? Because SC just made sure to keep mentioning it.

SC: "I know you're probably going to throw these away. Whatever. These are the right colors! You need to show these to your boss!"

I thanked SC for her feedback ("We value all our guest feedback so I will pass it along for consideration." ....yeah right) and she finally left me alone.

A man came in a minute later holding a piece of moss and said "Just so you know, I'm not here of my own will. I am under orders to give this to you. My wife said this is the right shade of green." So we shared a laugh and that was that.

I set the flowers and stuff aside and forgot about them until about half an hour later I noticed a small black bug on my desk. I squished it, and then saw another one, and another one, and suddenly realized my desk was infested with tiny black bugs. I soon figured out they had come off the plants SC had dumped on my desk. They were tiny and stupid (they just kind of ran around in little itty bitty circles) but when they went squish (which was easy...you looked at them hard enough and they went squish) they left these huge black marks. I ended up getting black smears of bug juice all over my paperwork. Like, it should not be physically possible for an insect that small to have that much gut stuffs inside it!

Oh, and the renos? The colors are a bit bold, yes, but they look fabulous and are inspired by the history of the Resort, which used to be an old cannery (I got to take a sneak peak at the progress of some of the work nearing completion). It's a sort of industrial rustic concept that's still also cozy and beachy (the asphalt under the new porto cochere incorporates sea shells from the local beach, for instance). I get the feeling that SC has her decorating MO and doesn't like to get outside of her own comfort zone...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

She was angry she wasn't hired for the job.

Comment

I watch Design Star every season, and a lot of the interest I have is seeing how different designers approach the same room.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Jeez, what a twit! OK, she thinks she could do a better job, whatever....but dropping a bunch of bark and stuff on your desk? Does she seriously think that's going to make the boss go, "Hold everything! Cancel the renovation! We need to change ALL the colors!" -- ??
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm surprised you left that stuff on your desk for any length of time. I always move that crap immediately. It's just clutter, and its messy.

The decorators an idiot. What she says doesn't matter in the least.

Comment

Yep, that's the way to impress potential clients... bring 'em living, bug infested plants to "see the colors they should work with." Bug guts is not normally a color I want to "work with," lady. I doubt few others would either. This is why sample palates were created.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
            X