This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Thursday/Friday Debriefing Thread 2018

For anybody and everybody who has to work those days or goes out during them.

This year, in honor of the spirit and tradition of Thanksgiving, the clearance swamp will be opening at 2:00 pm Thanksgiving and staying open straight until 10:00 pm Friday.

I will not be stopping by on Thanksgiving. Friday maybe.
    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 11-21-2018, 04:13 PM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Thankfully I'm not in retail any more, I do DoorDash and GrubHub, and have no intention of leaving my house before noon.
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Thanks to Canada's increasing habit of doing Black Friday sales after the US Thanksgiving I will be getting to deal with folks calling in as they try to avail themselves of any possible wireless deals, hoping to get cheaper plans, more off on wireless devices, bonus additional data, and more. We were expecting to not have to deal with BF sales until Friday, but they decided to roll them out today. Oh joy. Shoot me now. Most of the deals have be done online via the company website or in-store, but I know that people will be calling in to try to get us to do it over the phone...I can already hear the angry callers. *sigh*

Comment

The food stamp office will be open both the day before and the day after Thanksgiving. I will be working both days.

While there are some opportunities to ruin Thanksgiving on Wednesday, its usually pretty slow, so not all of us will be able to avail ourselves of that pleasure. Of course, all of the ruined Thanksgivings will be all our fault, not the fault of those folks who wait until the last minute to do things and expect everything to go flawlessly at 4:30pm.

The day after Thanksgiving will be super slow, but the next Monday will be slammed and everyone will be mad because they thought we were closed on Friday and had to wait the whole weekend to be seen.

Comment

I'm luxuriating because I don't work Thursday or Friday. I have no shopping plans, though I will have to do my normal grocery run at some point. Everyone says grocery stores are calm on Black Friday but my normal store is a giant has-everything-including-the-kitchen-sink store, so it has it's own sales.

For the first time in a couple years I actually received a physical copy of the BF mailer from the Fabric Store. I started looking at it, then abruptly threw it in the recycling. No good could come from those flashbacks. They are doing the 6 AM opening time on both Wednesday and Friday again this year. I remember it really helped cut down on the crowds because they were more evenly split over the two days.

Maybe Cyber Monday shopping for me, and then it's a downward slide right into Christmas time craziness.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            For anybody and everybody who has to work those days or goes out during them.

This year, in honor of the spirit and tradition of Thanksgiving, the clearance swamp will be opening at 2:00 pm Thanksgiving and staying open straight until 10:00 pm Friday.

I will not be stopping by on Thanksgiving. Friday maybe.
            2019? Did I lose a year?

I don't mind (much) the idea of turning 50, but wasting another year of my life at Hades Annex makes me sad (raiding leftover Halloween candy).

Hermiting at home on Thursday, irking Friday. Predicting many calls from people either wondering where their deposits are or freaking out about card declines due to NSF and not willing to accept the reality of what they have spent.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm working a closing shift the Warehouse tomorrow, send lots of booze stat -- although it will be worth it, as soon as I clock out I won't have to be back to work until Monday. Don't ask how I got the entire Thanksgiving weekend off, seems like I'm off at least Black Friday.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I've never shopped on Black Friday. Usually I had to work, and I worked at my job about 20 years before I was able to get that day off. Once I had enough seniority, I started taking that whole week when I could, or just that Friday because it was the dead-slowest day of the year at work and I didn't want to sit there staring at the walls for 8 hours.

This year, even though I'm not working and I have to be extremely careful with what money I have, maybe I'll wander over to a couple of stores just to see if it's as crazy as everybody says it is. Not Target, though. Last time I was in my local Target store, they were reorganizing the entire store and it was the biggest, most confusing mess I've ever seen. I'm staying away in case they aren't done with that yet.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Last time I was in my local Target store, they were reorganizing the entire store and it was the biggest, most confusing mess I've ever seen. I'm staying away in case they aren't done with that yet.
                  I know this is off topic, but they re-did the Target in my town and it's the worst. I'm talking about after it was finished. The new layout is not intuitive (and you know I'm not a SC about that, I can deal with change!) and they started playing bass-heavy club music really loud. If their goal is to get me to spend less money because of using pickup or online ordering, then goal achieved. And I always spend less if I buy online, because if I go in the store I might impulse buy, or not see a cheaper option. If I buy online I spend the extra time to find the cheapest item possible. >.>
                  Last edited by notalwaysright; 11-21-2018, 04:29 AM.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working Wed and Fri, not Thursday. I'm sure we'll get at least a customer or two looking for discounts on BF, but tough-luck -- this is a used-book store. The boss may give out the occasional cull, but he never haggles.

ETA: Gonna be staying the hell away from stores on BF, I have enough trouble with crowds.

Comment

Thankfully not working tomorrow, and Thanksgiving is one of only two days of the year my grocery store is closed (the other being Christmas). Instead of getting wound-up by the last-minute shopping crazies, I'll be kicking back at the multiplex watching Ralph Breaks The Internet. And as for Black Friday, the store should be pretty dead, as food is the LAST thing people buy on that day (and they'll be living off leftovers for the better part of a week).

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        2019? Did I lose a year?
                        JFC I did it again.

I'll be PMing a mod to have that fixed.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working Thursday and Friday at the Mart of Wall. 4-8 Thursday, which on one hand is not so bad as it's only four hours, on the other it's right before and after the stupidity. Why can't we go back to having the damned sale on Friday and be CLOSED for Thanksgiving...

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                            I'm working a closing shift the Warehouse tomorrow, send lots of booze stat -- although it will be worth it, as soon as I clock out I won't have to be back to work until Monday. Don't ask how I got the entire Thanksgiving weekend off, seems like I'm off at least Black Friday.
                            Eh, scratch the closing shift -- got called to come in early to work.so don't have to worry about all the crazy closing stuff.

So far it hasn't been too bad, there's enough help and everything is on the tables on the sales floor. Will get the last of my stuff done, then no working until Monday.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

As per usual for me, I am working the IT Service Desk on Brown Thursday*. Or, as I've pointed out to my coworkers, "It is Thanksgiving, so you can all start giving your thanks to me! I work the holiday, so you don't have to! ...You're welcome."
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X