Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Check it out!

Old 04-17-2019, 01:33 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth morgana View Post
It's so good to hear how much has been saved. I wonder if there'll be provision for some of us non-French, non-Catholic, non-billionaires to donate to the reconstruction . . .

Here's one

And here's a list, courtesy of CBS

There are reportedly a lot of GoFundMe sites as well, but I'm a bit wary of them, in a heavily publicized instance like this, as you can't really tell which are legit.

The French Heritage Society is New York-based; I've written to ask if they take donations from outside the U.S.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 AM
Assistant Manager

Watching the videos of some of the first responders rushing into save the relics that were still being stored in Notre Dame was amazing.

Then I heard about the historian that had done a laser scan of the entire cathedral four years ago. He had scanned almost every part of the building down to a couple millimeters, including the spire that collapsed, because he was worried about the condition of the building. He died last year leaving a gift behind that will help rebuild.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Loanshark IT

Not looking to belittle the responders and their efforts. The vaulted stone ceiling of the cathedral did a lot to help contain the fire to the roof area. If not for the ceiling, it would have been suicide to have gone inside. It is great to see how much has been saved.

As Pixelated pointed out, be careful with your donations. There will be a lot of scams.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 PM
The Evil Bastard

Quote:
Quoth Arcus View Post
Then I heard about the historian that had done a laser scan of the entire cathedral four years ago. He had scanned almost every part of the building down to a couple millimeters, including the spire that collapsed, because he was worried about the condition of the building. He died last year leaving a gift behind that will help rebuild.
Yup, plus Ubisoft has a full scan as well when they did their rendition for Assassin's Creed: Origins. Pretty sure the original architect kept notes on the materials that have been preserved over the centuries. It's entirely possible to do a complete restore with the available information.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth lordlundar View Post
It's entirely possible to do a complete restore with the available information.
Although hopefully they will incorporate a few discreet, modern fire prevention methods this time such as treating the timber to make it fire-resistant and seeing if there's some way to install a sprinkler system or some other fire suppression method that won't destroy things below it.

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Last edited by greek_jester; Yesterday at 08:42 AM. Reason: Can't spell...

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

On a side note -- One article I saw stated that a contributing factor to both the disaster AND to the saving of many of the Relics was a planned renovation of the entire structure.

Said plans meant that most of the Relics had already been moved to a safer location. The enaction of said renovation plans may have been what caused the fire in the first place (e.g. materials or chems left out where they should not have been -- the latter caused a beloved restaurant back in NOLA to be gutted just a few months after they had rebuilt from Katrina's damage. Someone left a rag soaked in cleaning fluid A in a bucket of fluid B rather than washing and dumping the items, respectively; the result: a conflagration).
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady