This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Careless package handlers and the fallout

We have become addicted to Tassos garlic and jalapeno stuffed olives. They are great when you want a fast bang of flavor in your mouth. Also wonderful to eat just before talking to someone you don't like!

We don't order them from that link, that is just so you can see what I am talking about.

So, when ordering them, we order 3-4 bottles at a time, cheaper and they last forever, not that we would know because we go through a bottle a month.

The bottles come carefully double wrapped in bubble wrap and a very sturdy cardboard box. They aren't going to break by knocking against each other.

Living out in the sticks, the major shipping companies often hand packages off to the USPS, who gives them to contract carriers who use their own vehicles to deliver the mail. This is common and normal.

Yesterday, our last shipment arrived and was hand carried to our door by the local mail carrier who had put the crushed box in several garbage bags. Somehow, the box clearly had been crushed in delivery and they had received the box from FDX that way.

The package handlers tossed these very fragrant garlic and jalapeno, brine soaked green olives into a semi-truck along with many other boxes and crushed them. Allowing the liquid to slowly seep out of the packaging and onto all the surrounding boxes. Next that box got labeled "damaged" and loaded into a delivery truck. Finally, it ended up in someone's private vehicle.

Carelessness, the gift that kept giving. Sadly, the guys who did the damage didn't have to deal with the smell.

I am a very evil person because I am all thinking about the looks on all those poor innocent people who had to smell that leaking, probably fermented box during its journey to our trash can.
    Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 12-21-2018, 01:46 AM.

Wait...a damaged, visibly leaking box full of broken glass was still sent out for delivery as-is?

Last-mile contractors can be extremely careless at least around here.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

When I sent bottles of hot sauce home from St. Pete, I told the clerk at the big brown store to be careful with this. If they break the bottle, the hot sauce might eat the truck.
      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Sometimes the automated machinery is at fault.

Robot punctures bear repellent can.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          Sometimes the automated machinery is at fault.
          That does not explain the failure to intercept and report the destroyed package.

Comment

I always expect anyone handling my package to do so with the utmost care to avoid spillages
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

In the 60's my uncle, a chemist at Dugway Proving Grounds, was inviegled by his sisters into overstuffing his luggage with jars of sorghum syrup when he flew back from a conference in the D.C. area...

It was a sticky situation at the luggage claim....
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Somehow this NAR article seems apropos; The package was "delivered" to a recycling bin waiting for pickup. The comments make it clear that it's not a unique incident.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  It was a sticky situation at the luggage claim....

I don't blame our contract carrier, she apologized and said that according to her contract, she had to deliver our package. For the most part, our packages arrive in good condition and are placed on our porch, behind the rail and in a hard to see from the road corner.

Because we order in advance, we usually pick the slowest/cheapest shipping option. That reeking box was in transit for over 2 weeks. Someone at some point in its journey should have made the choice to stop its travels instead of handing the problem to someone else. I wonder if it would have made a difference if it had been summer.

Comment

In general, people want their packages even if they're damaged in transit; and I guess that's general policy. Perhaps there ought to be a packaging option like, "return if damaged" or "destroy if damaged" for these sorts of goods.

Comment

Did you refuse the delivery and send it back to them?

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                        In general, people want their packages even if they're damaged in transit; and I guess that's general policy. Perhaps there ought to be a packaging option like, "return if damaged" or "destroy if damaged" for these sorts of goods.
                        Oh my gods, NO! That's just asking for people who can't be bothered to do their actual jobs to deliberately destroy things.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

You mean they don't already do that?
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I guess you know who to use if you ever want to buy Surstromming
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Sadly surstromming cannot be legaly exported :P

Comment

Working...
                              X