This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a glitch, NOT a conspiracy....

A couple of days ago, our email system had a glitch where for some reason if you used internet explorer to check your mail, if would just stay at the loading screen forever once you clicked "login." Strangely, it worked if you used Firefox or Chrome.

100% of customers were fine with this, and the glitch was fixed after a few hours.

One full day after, I get this guy....

Me: *opening lines, asks how I can help.*

SC: I'd like to lodge a complaint on your so-called glitch you had with your webmail yesterday.

Me: What seems to be the issue sir?

SC: That you as a company have a bias towards non-Microsoft browsers, and refusing to allow access to my email through internet explorer but saying I can if I use a 3rd party browser is proof of it.

Me: Sir, it was a simple technical glitch that was resolved after a couple of hours. That is it. Nothing more.

SC: Yeah right, if it was a true technical issue I wouldn't be able to get into webmail no matter what I was using!

Me: Sir, I don't know what to tell you other than it was a simple glitch in our webmail that has since been resolved....

SC: Bull! You "techies" have always believed that people get more viruses through IE. You figured if you "push" people towards a 3rd party browser by inducing a fake "glitch" they'll get less viruses and thus make your job easier!

Me: First sir, we don't cover virus removal in this department. Secondly, as an ISP to be honest we don't care what browser you use as long as you can get online. Again, it was a glitch in our system as I have already stated, not a conspiracy.

SC: How about I call Microsoft and tell them about your little "glitch?" I bet they would have a few choice words to say to you!

Me: I can greatly imagine that they would understand that things happen, that it's not a conspiracy against their product. As I said, we don't care what you use to surf.... as long as you can surf.

SC: Well since you are just clearly programmed to spew talking points to me, I think the next step for me is to contact the FCC and the FTC and have them investigate this. Have a good day.

*click*

Oh noes, not the FTC and FCC! I love it when people start throwing around alphabet agencies to us, as if that's really going to do anything. And besides, if we really wanted to do what this moron was accusing us of, we'd just format our start page so it looks weird in IE and put a big banner on the top that says "THIS SITE WORKS BEST IN [INSERT 3RD PARTY BROWSER HERE], CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD."
    Last edited by sld72382; 06-18-2013, 10:30 PM.

Anytime they say something like "I should call ___ and ___ on you, and see what they say," I feel like it's appropriate to egg them on and encourage them to do so. "I would be completely behind you doing so, sir. Please call them and let me know what they say. Just promise me that you won't take what they say too personally. After handling calls like this one themselves, they need a good laugh every now and then."
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Conspiring against M$, shame on you!

Maybe it wasn't a glitch at all and his modem was having interference issues caused by his tin foil hat.
      "Sorry, the restaurant is closed in honor of customer appreciation day."

Comment

80-90%

While I do my level best to get people not to use IE, there is still the simple fact that 80-90% of people use some version of IE. Many because thier business software requires it.

While many personal blogs and websites are run by people who try their best to discourage IE use - NO company that makes it's living selling to the general public (not the tech savy market) locks out such a high percentage of possible customers.

They would quickly go out of business, leaving the IE friendly companies to span up the customers.

Note: the latest IE is not too bad, but previous versions were troublesome.

Comment

IE?

?

Oh, that prog that downloads Chrome or Firefox when you reformat, right?

Comment

Sometimes it downloads Opera.

Comment

Yeah, that one.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                SC: Well since you are just clearly programmed to spew talking points to me, I think the next step for me is to contact the FCC and the FTC and have them investigate this. Have a good day.

*click*

Oh noes, not the FTC and FCC! I love it when people start throwing around alphabet agencies to us, as if that's really going to do anything.
                Too bad you were at work, or you could have had some fun. When he brought up the FCC and FTC, it would have been nice to tell him that if he did that, you'd have to report him to the DPF, the DEF, and the TLA.

For those unfamiliar with those, the first 2 are a device and a consumable used in emission controls in diesel engines, and the last one is a joke originating in the computer industry - "TLA" stands for "Three Letter Acronym".
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I love IE!

Seriously! No program downloads Firefox quite like Internet Explorer
                  There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

and frankly those banners don't violate FTC / FCC regs anyway.

if they did then my last college would be sued daily for the fact that you couldn't upload files correctly using Safari or IE - you had to upload with firefox.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                      Anytime they say something like "I should call ___ and ___ on you, and see what they say," I feel like it's appropriate to egg them on and encourage them to do so. "I would be completely behind you doing so, sir. Please call them and let me know what they say. Just promise me that you won't take what they say too personally. After handling calls like this one themselves, they need a good laugh every now and then."
                      Back in the depths of my support days we had a customer complaining his PC wouldn't play the latest movie he had got his hands on. After a bit of questioning it turned out it was a copy of "The Phantom Menace" and despite his blustering was a pirated copy (had only been out of the cinema a couple of months).

After a couple of rounds of threats, coercion and pleading we eventually gave him a number to call that should be able to help him sort it out, otherwise he'd never get off the phone. Luckily we had the number for these guys hanging around
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
                        IE?
                        ?
                        Oh, that prog that downloads Chrome or Firefox when you reformat, right?
                        You mean I'm not supposed to keep the Chrome and Firefox setup on a disk for just such occasions?

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post

After a couple of rounds of threats, coercion and pleading we eventually gave him a number to call that should be able to help him sort it out, otherwise he'd never get off the phone. Luckily we had the number for these guys hanging around
                          evil but oh so fun!

part of me does wonder though... what the fuck did the SC want anyway? I mean it's been fixed so it sounds like he just wanted someone to scream at. personally i'd rather see him call the FTC or the FCC and scream at them instead. Not that I think they deserve it but ... because being a federal department they have better means to take legal action against him for the harassment

Comment

You know, I think I come up with weird conspiracies like this all the time ("Goddamn Linux support, they don't want more people in their little club so they can keep feeling special and that's why all their docs are crap or read like they were written with boxing gloves...") but I've never been fool enough to vocalize any of them outside my own frustrations.

Hazard of a storyteller's mind - the habit of finding narrative EVERYWHERE.

Comment

That's pretty funny, considering that I cannot read my email when I use Firefox. It opens the account but then will not let me open the individual emails. It's also slow as hell for everything else.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X