X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "help desk"

Heard in IRC...

ugh, people NEED to stop typing "help desk" into google and just calling the first result.

Same thing happened to us back at AccountingFirm (where we did 3rd-party tech support for "RapidTomes" and "Butt-shapedFruit" accounting software)...Apparently, our SEO and keywords were TOO good ^_^ ... As we were usually the first NON-paid result that showed up if one googled "<productname> tech support" or "<productname> phone number"...Or worse, "free <productname> support".

We showed up for the phone number because both of those companies go out of their way to NOT expose their tech support numbers to people who aren't already signed up for a paid plan...when their "one free call" number is ON THE DAMN BOX!. We showed up under "free" because searches that show my former employment's sites come up as "<OURcompanyname> offering <productname> Tech Support! Call us toll-free at <number>!" ... Nothing about free support, and the first thing they see (and glaze right over) is our actual name.

You wouldn't believe how many calls we got that either went "Are you <softwarecompanyname>?" or "Wait, you're not <softwarecompanyname>?"or "WTF?! I just clicked on a link for <softwarecompanyname> and got you!!! What kind of scam are you running?!"....or, best of all, "*click*". Apparently, people called the number, which showed our name as the FIRST WORD on it, without clicking. Had they clicked, the first thing they would have seen was our company name in BIG BOLD LETTERS!
    Last edited by EricKei; 03-07-2013, 07:12 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

either that or they'll call the local electronic tech store for free help. usually on something serious enough to bring it in for service.

which pretty much means they want us to fix it for free and hold us accountable for it if the fix doesn't work.

i usually directed them to our official help desk cos they were setup for over-the-phone troubleshooting (for a fee).

Comment

Working...
      X