This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm screwed, aren't I?

I bought a new laptop just over 6 months ago. It ran Windows 10.

Last night it froze and just sat there for 20 minutes doing nothing, so I hit the power button to restart it (bad move, I know). When I tried to restart it got stuck in a loop on the first screen for an hour (HP logo plus spinning dots). It's done this every time I've tried starting up since.

System restore doesn't work; it can't find any restore points. Going back to an earlier version doesn't work either. Neither does refreshing. I made a reboot disc but when I try to reinstall windows from that it tells me a media driver is missing and doesn't go any further.

I have an older computer running Windows 7 I can use until I can save up enough money to buy a mac. Windows 10 SUCKS.

Should I just assume my new computer is unfixable at this point?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

What Laptop is it exactly?

Are you sure the RAM and Harddisk-Drive (SSD?) Are Okay?

If you don't mind a complete data loss, you could download a fresh version of Windows onto a USB-Stick an reinstall it form there.

Google for Windows 10 Download, use the right official Dowload Side, Download the tool under Windows 7 and create a new USB-Boot Device.

I currently only find the German Version
    https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/soft...load/windows10

Boot from it, delete all partitions from the the old drive, use the drive for a complete new

After a succesfull install, look what drivers are missing after using the update-mechanismens and voila ... everythings fine again
    Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

It's an HP laptop. I don't know if the hard drive and RAM are okay; that's what I'm trying to figure out.

I've created a USB boot device but don't know how to get the computer to boot from it. I've tried several times but get no further than a black screen. I'm okay with losing my data; I've backed up the stuff I want to keep.

ETA- finally got to the menu to select the boot device. Trying to boot from the USB flash drive

ETA- unsuccessful. Says the drive has no unallocated space. Think this is a lost cause.
      Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Normally you must press a key during boot, like F12, F10 or Escape!
        Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

You must delete the "old" Partitions before creating new ones. Or the Drive is faulty, it happens sometimes.

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but I would have expected it to still be under warranty - any reason you're not just taking it back to where you purchased it? Restarting via the power button might make it a little unhappy, but certainly shouldn't have killed it like you describe.

If you can boot from your usb drive, and the drive can see your computers c: drive, I'd suggest running
            chkdsk c: /r

This will check the hard drive and map out bad sectors, which should at least let you know whether the drive is faulty or not.
            Last edited by BlackCat; 09-17-2017, 07:42 PM. Reason: add chkdsk suggestion

Comment

Most linux distributions have a memory tester on the boot menu and you can also boot from it to test everything.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Windows 10 SUCKS.
                That it does. It wouldn't be so bad if Micro$haft released updates that actually worked. I've had to mess with my machines every time they force an update. There's no way to turn that off either.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've had to stop updating Win 10'on my old '08 Mac Pro. It just fails to boot and then rolls back to previous.

Other than that, no issues

Comment

I have actually found a way to stop the updates from coming but it requires practically filling up your computer with stuff. I have a 32GB flash-memory kind of laptop though.

It "temporarily" needs 1.15 GB of memory free for the latest update, which I don't have, and it's not going to have it either.

So, potential block for you. The only problem is now and again it will give you a notice that says We couldn't update! Click here to find out why. (You don't have the memory, we will wait until you do to try again).
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Tama (and IPF once yer up and running again):

O&O Shut Up 10 might be what you're looking for. Auto updates are among the things it can block. Free app.

For the hard drive itself -- External USB shells can be found for 5 bucks or less online; with one of those, you should at least be able to recover old pics/videos, etc once yer on a new system
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There's some noise about HP's overdoing the liquid lunch after an update:
                        The Register #1
                        The Register #2
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You could simply stop the service, i think.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            There's some noise about HP's overdoing the liquid lunch after an update:
                            The Register #1
                            The Register #2
                            Oh goodie, it's not just me then.

My HP convertible laptop (that was still under warranty) wound up being returned today with my SO having to do a lot of the talking so I could try and keep my emotions in check and not go apeshit on people who had no control over this. Similar situation to IPF. My dad pointed out that he'd never had an issue with his HP all-in-one until I explained that his computer has vents

Thankfully not a lot on it (everything on there was backed up anyway but I literally only used it for Office and browsing).

Comment

I've got a very similar problem with my old computer. It just gets stuck in a loop of the very first screen. Windows or any other functions aren't even starting up. You've already taken steps above my knowledge and ability but if you are able to get things going, please post the solution. Sorry I can't give any help myself.
                              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
                              X