Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it didn't work the 1st time, it won't work the 2nd, or the 3rd, or the 8th (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it didn't work the 1st time, it won't work the 2nd, or the 3rd, or the 8th (long)

We have a small arcade... however, it's not run by us.

We don't own the machines. (Except the air-hockey machine).
    We are not responsible for their maintenance.
    We do not have any more access to them than you do.

If something goes wrong the only thing we can do is reimburse your lost tokens. (All the arcade machines take tokens, not quarters). We have no problem doing this, we have special "Token dollars" that we can put in the token machine to get free tokens from, and we get them back when they empty the machine of money. So it doesn't cost us a penny.

However, some people just don't get it that if the arcade game didn't work the first time you tried it... it's BROKEN, putting more tokens in will not magically make it work.

Some examples:

Girl puts in 2 tokens, the game starts up, she actually WINS, but the prize isn't dispensed. So she tries again, and then again. In total she puts 6 tokens in this thing (you get 4 for a dollar), hoping that the outcome will be different.

but wait It gets better.

There was another little girl (about 10 or so) I feel sorry for. Cute kid, but holy crap she was dumb. She's playing a game that requires 2 tokens to play. She puts them in and nothing happens. So she puts in 2 more... and then 2 more, and then 2 MORE.

8 tokens gone. Nothing happens. She comes up to the desk and tells us. We were amazed she would use 8 tokens like that, but we reimbursed her anyway.

She comes back 5 minutes later. "It ate those tokens too."
    Wait... WHAT!? She blew ANOTHER 8 tokens in the SAME machine?

At this point I looked over at the machine, and see that's it not really "broken", it's not even TURNED ON! The video screen is black, the lights on the outside of the machine are not lit, the token slot is dim (they have their own light, which is bright red), and it's not making ANY sound (all of the arcade machines have very noticeable "songs" and sounds they play when turned on.

I reimburse her again.
    She then asks "What should I do? it keeps eating the tokens!"
    Me: "Um, don't use that machine."
    Her: "Oh."

Then there was the reverse of this. The game machines in the -arcade- take tokens. However the claw machine next to the bar takes quarters. It's not near the arcade (it's a good 25 feet from the arcade entrance), and all of the arcade machines are clearly labeled that they require tokens. This one is not labeled like that.

Older Lady comes up and says that one of the "arcade games" took her tokens. I ask how many, she tells me 2. I give em back. She comes back a minute later and says "It still isn't working." I reimburse AGAIN, and ask which machine is doing it.

She points at the claw machine.

"Oh, that machine doesn't take tokens, you have to use quarters."

She nods as if she understands and walks away... but what do I see her doing 5 seconds later? Putting the two tokens I JUST handed her in the claw machine...

<Insert clever signature here>

uh WOW how sad society is becoming...
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Well, that is the definition of insanity (according to the 12 step programs) - doing the same thing expecting different results.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Why are they kids unsupervised in the arcade? Not that I'm suprised....

Yeah, we have the same problem. The arcade is owned by another company but it uses quarters and when someone gets gipped well, lets just say a lot of paperwork and crap goes with it. Same with our ATM, I hate giving answers like: Call the number on the machine. I honestly want to help but I can't.

But yeah... Get the hint if the first "few" (should be one) didn't work... Yikes.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
          I reimburse her again.
          She then asks "What should I do? it keeps eating the tokens!"
          Me: "Um, don't use that machine."
          Her: "Oh."
          Does "Oh" mean, "I might just try it again anyway"?

Quoth Anakah View Post
          In the arcade, the toy department, loitering outside the store... etc.
          Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

And here I thought working in an arcade would be fun.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

No!!

Don't think that ever working anywhere will be fun!! I work in an old folks home and indeed we have our good times but man do we have our bad times!! People ringing every twenty minutes because they need to take a pee and then nothing coming!! Lots of fun!!!! If that's the kind of fun you want to have!!!
              It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                Don't you know THE LAW?

Y'know, the one that states that all Toy Stores, Arcades, Laundromats, Ikea stores, Video Game Stores, Gunsmiths etc are licensed Babysitting services. THE LAW says they have to watch your kid for you, but not yell or scold them or do anything to hinder them. And if your kid gets hurt or killed, your purchases are free, you get to personally execute the employee of your choice, and you get a new, better kid shipped to you overnight post!
                Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
                  Don't think that ever working anywhere will be fun!!
                  I think that a job "re-educating" sucky customers would probably be fun...

Comment

"It's reiduuclous you can't sell this $600 furniture set to me for a $0.25" :skips the whole shocking them with a tazer section and immediatly gets out the .22 sterility rifle:

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
                      Don't think that ever working anywhere will be fun!!
                      Oh...you missed it.

My brain finally snapped.

That reminds me. I should go check that thread.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X