This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just..no.

This happened a while ago to a coworker of mine. She was teaching a level one school board swimming class, and one of her students said, and I quote,

"my mommy said not to put my face in the water because it will irritate my pinkeye"

Sigh.

I'm sitting here eating, and at reading the word "Pinkeye", I stopped chewing and stared. For like 5 minutes. No words.
    You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

*meep* W...T...F?! OK...so the mom tells her kid not to put her face in the water because of pinkeye, yet sends her to swimming class?! If she knows the kid has it, then the doctor must have told her what to do and not do.

Ow, I think my brain broke trying to find the logic in that...
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

That's assuming the child was, in fact, taken to the doctor.

I hope I hope I hope I hope...
        You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

True, the mom could have gone to WebMD or similar site and done a diagnosis from that. Still, the site should go into detail about what to do and not do to treat it.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

When I was a kid, one of my teachers noticed my eye was pink and I was rubbing it. I was home in 15 minutes. Kids with pinkeye DO NOT GO OUT. If they do, I'm going to catch it again, and that will suck. Seriously, what the hell?
            It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
            -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

"Have fun at swimming class dear!... Now what did that doctor say about the pinkeye? Oh well, it probably wasn't important."
              Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Seems like the mom either didn't take the kid to a doctor or just plain didn't take heed to the doctor's instructions. *sigh*
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Well all you need to do is squirt some breast milk in the eye and it will clear right up..... at least that's what I hear.
                  It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

As a former lifeguard and current swim instructor I at this...

Comment

As someone who doesn't go swimming much and doesn't deal with kids at all, I at this.

I have to ask, however, what happened after that. Did the coworker make the kid sit to the side far away from everyone else until mummy dearest came to pick her/him up?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

lol This reminds me of this girl in high school who had ring worm on her arm and during class I look over and see her scratching it on the desk.
                        wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                        ----
                        Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

pinkeye is usually viral-and goes away on it's own-why does everyone get all panicky like it's lethal
                          the virus is the exact same virus that gives you a cold-just your immune system stops it in your eye before it becomes a cold. It does not make you any more of a contagious leper than a cold does.

when everyone around me has colds-I get pinkeye-I also get it due to seasonal allergies-I guess I should stay in a corner until my mom comes to get me(I have it right now due to allergies)
                          Viral pinkeye is often caused by an adenovirus, which is a common respiratory virus that can also cause a sore throat or upper respiratory infection. The herpes virus can also cause viral pinkeye. Most cases of pinkeye are caused by:

* Infections caused by viruses or bacteria.
                          * Dry eyes from lack of tears or exposure to wind and sun.
                          * Chemicals, fumes, or smoke (chemical conjunctivitis). This would be aggravated by chlorine and chlorine can cause it
                          * Allergies.

Treatment for pinkeye

If you have pinkeye:

* Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly before and after touching your eyes.
                          * Use warm or cool compresses, whichever feels better, to help relieve swelling and redness.
                          * Change and wash towels and linens when they become soiled with drainage.
                          * Do not wear contacts as long as you still have symptoms.

notice nothing in there about OMG-don't leave the house 111eleventy!!!

pinkeye is nothing more than a misplaced cold-and can also be caused by allergies-which are NOT CONTAGIOUS--if the girl is concerned about poolwater it's more than likely the allergy form.
                          Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 04-14-2008, 01:10 AM.
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

The thing is, you really are not supposed to go swimming when you have any kind of virus or sickness. ecause there may be enough chlorine in the pool to kill it, but not on the deck, or anywhere else you come in contact with. And the environment is humid and hot, a perfect breeding ground for germs. Sure we clean and disinfect everyday, but who knows how many other people have picked it up by then.

My understanding is that Pinkeye is like lice, More of an annoyance, but very very infectious. The teachers were called over and told in no uncertain terms that the child could not be there.
                            And then, think about your poor instructors. It may be a common cold, but we sit in lukewarm water for a few hours on end, get in and out and in and out, and see many many children with illness, who end up spitting in our face because they cannot blow bubbles. . How healthly do you think we are most of the time?

In conclusion, if you child is sick, the getting in and out of the cold water is going to tire him out even more and make the virus or whatever last longer. AND you will probably give it to the hard working instructor who cannot take a sick day because there is NO ONE ELSE TO TEACH!!
                            Or that may just be my city...

Comment

I had pinkeye a couple months ago BAD. Both eyes. I went to the doc's, and was told to stay home from work until after I'd taken the antibiotics for at least 24 hours. He said I was very unlikly to be contageous after that point.

Nobody else in my office got it. Which was suprising, since I was all over everything before I realized I had it. I called to office from home, told them what was up, and suggested they all practice some serious handwashing habits for a few days.

Maybe the kid was being treated and past the contageous point? I dunno. Really, though, I think being in a pool with that is not cool, simply because of the distress it caused for others. No point putting them at risk, really.

Believe me, nobody is more of the attitude that people should keep their contageon to themselves than I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X