This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTMF didn't work...

I was outside pumping gas for customers.
    We had some work going on were half the pumps were blocked off while they worked over top of them. ALl was going fine until this SC comes in for gas. I walk up to his car and ask him what I can get for him.

He tells me $20 regular. I ask if he is paying cash or by card and he says cash. I pump the gas, get the $20 from him and since I dont have another customer waiting I walk away and stand watching the workers.

I then hear this... "DUDE CAN I GET MY F*CKING RECEIPT?"
    I look over and he is leaning half way out the window. I tell him its too late now because I have no way of telling the pump to print a receipt after the gas has started pumping. I have to tell it BEFORE.

He said he ALWAYS gets a f*cking receipt and I should ask everyone each time if they want one. I tell him its bad enough that I have to ask cash or card, so no I will not also ask each person if they want a receipt too. I could have written one up in our receipt book but just because of his cussing and attitude and the fact I then remembered having this convo with him before made me tell him that I am sorry but its too late.

I start walking back into the store with him following telling me to give him a f*cking receipt. We get inside and I have had enough, I tell him.....

(This is where filter broke down...)

Listen, just because you are too STUPID to remember to tell us you need a receipt BEFORE we pump the gas like you have been told before doesnt mean I should remember you out of the hundreds of customers I see each week.

He says my coworker always writes him one up. I told him we are not allowed to do that because the boss told us NOT to use that book unless the pump doesnt print one after we tell it to. We are not to use it instead of the pump printed one or just because the customer forgot. The boss' dad also will YELL at us if we do this and he was coming in in the morning and I didnt want yelled at by him over writing a receipt up.

He again demanded a receipt and I again didnt have a BTMF... I said..

If you are to stupid to ask for one before I pumped the gas you cant get one now. The CS's girlfriend spoke up and said they were going to tell my boss I called them stupid. I told her to go right ahead. Another co-worker went outside with them and he wrote up a receipt and I made HIM initial it so I didnt get yelled at by the boss' dad.

I also told them not to come back, they told me I cant tell them that and they would come back to get gas. Well they got a surprise coming if I am the one pumping the gas when they do. Ill leave them sit there all damn day or night until they leave.

I think he doesnt want a pump printed receipt because he is doctoring up the written ones my coworkers give him. I wish I could prove it.

I hope he doesnt come in, boss might not be happy with me calling him stupid.

My brain's not working (too much muffin batter): BTMF?

Way ta stand your ground, Venom!
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
      My brain's not working (too much muffin batter): BTMF?
      Brain To Mouth Filter. I tend to have to remember to turn mine on when I arrive at work.

Just curious, what would he be doctoring the receipts for, do you think?
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Ripping off a boss, or even someone else if its not his car...

Hey yeah I put 30$ in the tank.. see heres the receipt...

Comment

The suck on his part was cursing, being belligerent, and >maybe< forgetting so many times what your policy is. But I don't see the suck in wanting a receipt without asking for it at the beginning. I have never shopped at a company that didn't give me a receipt, or at least asking if I wanted one. And if someone refused to give me a receipt after I asked for one at any point during the transaction, I would never shop at that location again. I can't see any merit in a policy that flat out denies a receipt to a customer. In fact, I think it's morally fraudulant.
          "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Why doesn't the pump just print one for every transaction? Seems like the way it should be done.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
              Why doesn't the pump just print one for every transaction? Seems like the way it should be done.
              Quoth Sylvia727 View Post
              ...I don't see the suck in wanting a receipt without asking for it at the beginning....
              I have never been to a gas station that didn't have a button on the pump asking if you wanted your receipt or not - can't recall the last station I've seen that always printed one. So when pumping the gas, Venom would have had to push the button on the pump to request the receipt, and the customer would have had to ask before the pumping bit was complete.

...or at least asking if I wanted one.
              I could see how it could get annoying for Venom to constantly ask everyone if they wanted a receipt - the same way those of us in retail get annoyed by the scripted questions we're forced to ask, that bring out the SC in people who just want something to complain about, and would respond "If I wanted a receipt, I woulda asked for one. Jeez!" or similar.

And if someone refused to give me a receipt after I asked for one at any point during the transaction, I would never shop at that location again.
              And that would be your right, as well as what Venom is hoping this customer does. To me, this seems like a situation where the guy assumed Venom was lying, or doing it to spite him, which is out of line.

From the story, it does sound the like the guy was being unnecessarily pushy. In his shoes, if I needed a receipt, I'd politely ask for one, apologise for forgetting to ask prior to getting the gas, and explain briefly why I needed it (for work, etc).

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

The pumps I go to (pre-pay, using a card) ask at the end of the job if I want a receipt.
                The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                  And if someone refused to give me a receipt after I asked for one at any point during the transaction, I would never shop at that location again.
                  And that would be your right, as well as what Venom is hoping this customer does.
                  Because everyone knows it makes such sound business sense to have your customers go to another store.

Sometimes customers aren't necessarily sucky until the attitude of those serving them sends them over the edge.

I still don't see how it's such a chore to ask if they want a receipt when that is part of the job a person is being paid to do.

It doesn't matter if there is a chance that someone will be rude and say, "If I wanted one I'd ask for it..."

If it's a part of the daily routine of the job, then it should be done, as annoying as it is.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'm kind of confused here......I'm assuming Venom works at a full service station, meaning someone pumps your gas for you......so why would it be so difficult to get a receipt for the customer?

I am totally missing something here, aren't I?
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Not a single gas station I have ever been to has asked if I wanted a receipt. I never expect to get one from one, unless from a pre-pay pump with a card.

And it sounds like this is not the man's first time forgetting. He's been told again and again that he needs to ask before the end of the transaction, otherwise they can't print a receipt out.

I can definitely see the suck there. If I had someone come up repeatedly asking for something when it's too late to do it, after being told numerous times we need to know before, I'd be ticked at the person as well.
                      Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                        Because everyone knows it makes such sound business sense to have your customers go to another store.
                        I didn't say anything about sound business sense.

If this guy was sucky, has been sucky, and by all indications is going to continue to be sucky, as well as putting Venom in a position where he might end up in trouble, perhaps it's better for all if the customer goes somewhere else.

Losing one customer will not ruin a business, especially if he's trying to run a scam, which is what I believe Venom was wary of.

Quoth Ree View Post
                        If it's a part of the daily routine of the job, then it should be done, as annoying as it is.
                        And I agree - if Venom's boss has asked him to see if customers would like a receipt, he should be doing it. Far as I know, they haven't. I could be wrong though, and in that case, I'd agree with you completely.

Quoth Ree View Post
                        Sometimes customers aren't necessarily sucky until the attitude of those serving them sends them over the edge.
                        While I definitely agree that Venom might have been out of line, once the customer started swearing, I don't have much sympathy for him, even if he was called stupid. And if the time line of the story is correct, the swearing started quite a bit before the "stupid" comment.

Quoth Kyree View Post
                        I can definitely see the suck there. If I had someone come up repeatedly asking for something when it's too late to do it, after being told numerous times we need to know before, I'd be ticked at the person as well.
                        I think this is probably what I didn't voice too well in my concerns, as I did see this in Venom's post. This is a repeat offender - per the customer's own admissions, he's forgotten before and convinced an employee to break policy and write him up a receipt.

Allowing this once, maybe twice, would be ok. Past that, customer is acting like the entitlement-minded jerks we rant about on here daily. Especially when what he's asking for could end with Venom getting in trouble.
                        Last edited by myswtghst; 04-21-2008, 03:36 AM.

Comment

The customer in this story was sucky, no doubt about it. My concern is that the policy is sucky and that it encourages suck from customers who might otherwise be fine. Denying a receipt, which is essentially just proof of purchase, is wrong. If the receipt can only be printed at a certain point in the transaction, then the employee should offer it at that point. Or hell, just assume they want one. Throwing four inches of paper into the trash would be a lot less stressful than dealing with righteous wrath.

In conclusion: major suck on the customer, major suck on the gas company, and slight (and understandable) suck on Venom for acting unprofessionally.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

In conclusion: major suck on the customer, major suck on the gas company, and slight (and understandable) suck on Venom for acting unprofessionally.
                            I'll agree to that. I think it's one of those things where it sucks to be the CSR, because you didn't make the policy, and you can't change it, but you still get blamed for it and yelled at because of it.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                              I'll agree to that. I think it's one of those things where it sucks to be the CSR, because you didn't make the policy, and you can't change it, but you still get blamed for it and yelled at because of it.
                              Yup. Either you take the shortcut your boss wants you to take and get yelled at by the customer for fraud, or you do it the right way and get yelled at by your boss for taking too long, and in this case, for allowing the possibility of a scam.

Comment

Working...
                              X