This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security clearance for internet?

I just tried to sign us up for Fairpoint internet. It's probably not the best, but the best available. Only problem is, they seem to want tons of paperwork from me that makes me feel like I'm boarding a plane.

Everything started out right, until we got to my address, which I screwed up by placing a 1 in front of it. WE just moved here, so what I thought was 1489 Anytown Lane was actually just 489 anytown lane. It was quite a bit of confusion, with me wondering why they can't find 1489 Anytown Lane. Then I offered up the previous phone number of the folks here, thinking that'd help the lady find where I was.

At this point the conversation started to take a downturn and there was lots of time on hold while she talked with her supervisor. She came back and told me that the number I listed showed up as an account, but it was not at my current address and she suddenly seemed defensive and suspicious. I asked her who it was listed under, and I can understand they have confidentiality issues, but you'd think in the interest of getting the hookup they could at least confirm if I gave them the name. "Why yes, it was in fact the person you named so obviously you know them." Would've been helpful.

We get the location and address straightened out with my profuse apologies for the confusion, and then she has to go confer with the supervisor again. Says she'll call me back. like 3 hours later she calls back, and suddenly I'm on the line with their credit department, and after answering all kinds of questions I was told I needed to fax them in 2 forms of ID to prove that I'm me.

I don't owe them any money, so I know its not that. Did I do something else to set off their cherries or is this standard procedure now for services? I'd expect to have to go through this for health insurance or DMV stuff, but not for what's basically phone service.

Maybe my confusion on the address made them think I don't really live here.

If credit services is involved, most likely the previous tenant left the account on bad (read: delinquent) terms. They're probably assuming you're the same person/housemate trying to reconnect services under a different name because of your stuff-up.
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I suspect that the person you named or someone who lived at your address skipped out on a bill. They don't want to turn the service back on if the same person is still there and just trying to pass off another name.

I ran in to that once with the power board when I rented a new place. They had cut the power off and the previous tenant had removed the power meter cover and jumped it out so they had power. Power company caught it and cut the wires at the pole. I went through hell trying proving that I wasn't associated with those people.

Comment

Working...
      X