This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much ado about nothing (so far)...

OK, so today was officially the first day of the Biggest Sale of the Year for the client I take calls for. I'm not even sure why it's the biggest sale of the year since it doesn't seem like a better deal than many of our other events, but it could be just the timing (not too close to or far away from the winter holidays). I started this gig in late February and I've been hearing about this sale ever since...and of course we've been talking about it internally for a few weeks now. So I go into work Thursday dreading what it might be like...especially with how slow it had been the last several days I've worked.

The first thing my coworker in the next cube tells me is how much undertime they're handing out. Buhhhh....what?? Undertime during the Biggest Sale of the Year? So I figure, OK, we're in a slow patch but it will speed up. After I'd been there about an hour and a half my boss sent out an IM saying we were going to be getting more call volume soon. <background: as we are one of 3 call centers for this client and the only one not owned by the client, our call volume is determined by the high muckety-mucks at Corporate...end background>. I go on break a short while later, and come back...still quiet.

It continued like that all day. I took a short bit of undertime around lunch just so I could actually have time to heat up my food and not have to wolf it down, and then I ended up leaving just before 9 when my shift usually ends at 10. The Order Entry people were pretty bummed...naturally, with a sale like this, they get the bulk of the calls, with any excess rolling over to those of us with customer service training who are not on service calls. Even they were twiddling their thumbs and they are usually the first to get sent away/home if we don't need as many people on the clock.

So now I have to start Friday's shift with the same uncertainty...will it be eerily quiet like it was today, or will it be complete mayhem because everyone has decided to call at once, or somewhere in between?? So far, I'm not very impressed with our big event. On the other hand...we've been promised treats tomorrow and Saturday, and pizza on Monday!
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"
Working...
X