This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista help

Badger, a chum of mine at work, has Vista. It didn't like SP1 on her machine, and she doesn't have an installation disk to repair it, so many things are wrong. She's lost the disks to the installed programmes on her PC, so a reinstallation from the partition is undesireable.

I have Vista 64 bit home premium. If hers is basic version or 32 bit, will she be able to use my disk and her licence code to repair it? (I don't know what her version actually is).

Rapscallion

More information. Both our versions are Vista home premium. However, mine is 64 bit and hers is 32 bit. I'm guessing it wouldn't work.

Anyone know differently?

Rapscallion

Comment

Hey Raps

Checked with TTO - he sez no, it will not work
      Sorry
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Cheers.

I'll let Badger know.

Rapscallion

Comment

Afraid not. The kernel of the system, which is effectively the core, is too far different to be used interchangebly. It's a similar reason why most if not all 32-bit software won't work on a 64-bit system.

Badger's best bet is to try and track down a 32-bit disk.

(of course there's always the option of thermite and claiming insurance on it...)
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Depending on how much space was allocated it, badger might be able to try the system restore feature to go back to some point before SP1 was installed.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I never thought about system restore - thanks! I'll mention that tomorrow.

Rapscallion

Comment

Could try uninstalling SP1. It should be uninstallable.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

The problem with that is it encompasses all the previous security and stability updates, so those are likely to toast at the same time. It's a slightly worse option than doing the system restore, since that just nukes whatever's happened since that point was created. So I'd say only go with the uninstall if the restore point's not recent enough without being too recent, if that makes sense.

Comment

Turns out that the problem is more with SP1 downloading - it keeps trying and failing. The restore point is something they thought of, but it was too long after that it failed.

I think I'll try to get her to register on here to explain it better.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, the only thing I can think of with that problem that would be computer related would be she's getting the 64 bit version of SP1 instead of the 32 bit version. The pages look almost identical, and I ended up at the wrong one the first time myself.

Comment

if the problem is the download, there is a stand alone download that could be downloaded on another machine and burned to a cd and then run on her machine. its a little more of a headache, but should fix the issue.
                        Last edited by SteeleDragon78; 08-13-2008, 05:11 PM. Reason: clarification
                        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I created an account for Badger and she should be able to give more information when she logs in. Thanks for the help!

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                          X