This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Battery

I'm considering buying myself a new battery for my Laptop and wanted some questions clarified before I make a purchase. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv6000 series; I've had it for about 2 years and in that time my current battery has gone to lasting for 3 hours to less than thirty minutes.

First, is it normal for a laptop battery to lose its charge in that amount of time?
    Second, would it be sound to buy a new 3 or 6 hour battery? If yes, than from where?

Many thanks.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

It is normal for the lifespan to shorten, but by that much does seem excessive.

You can buy new batteries, but for most systems like that, you have to order them from the manufacturer. Sometimes you'll get lucky and a computer store will have some kicking around. I wouldn't really go for a third party battery. Outside my risk tolerance threshold
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

most manufacturer's warranties covers batteries only for a year... so depending on how you used it, i can see that being a normal lifespan for your battery.

example,

i use a d620 dell latitude. the battery life used to be around 2.5 hours or so. Then i started taking it to school to take notes for a 55 minute class... soon, the battery started not lasting as long... and eventually, stopped lasting but mebbe 20 minutes (thankfully i found a row in the class that had a power outlet near it to continue taking notes)

it ended up being in warranty, but i don't expect this battery to last as long either.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
        First, is it normal for a laptop battery to lose its charge in that amount of time?
        Second, would it be sound to buy a new 3 or 6 hour battery? If yes, than from where?

Many thanks.
        Yea, some batteries can develop a shortened charge cycle. There are ways to help your (new) battery last longer. You need to drain it fully ever so often.

The paperwork I received (or maybe it was an online tutorial) when I got my Compaq suggested fully draining the battery every 30-days. What I did was set a power profile up for power drain (basically it will not shut off at all until all the juice is gone) and set it to that, and pop in a DVD to run. It'll die in less than an hour, running the DVD drive.

Note that not all batteries will develop a shorter cycle. I don't remember the difference between the types. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on that.

As to the second question. If you use your laptop in places where power isn't an option very often, then I would look into the longer-life ones. It would definitely be worth it to me.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          Yea, some batteries can develop a shortened charge cycle. There are ways to help your (new) battery last longer. You need to drain it fully ever so often.

The paperwork I received (or maybe it was an online tutorial) when I got my Compaq suggested fully draining the battery every 30-days. What I did was set a power profile up for power drain (basically it will not shut off at all until all the juice is gone) and set it to that, and pop in a DVD to run. It'll die in less than an hour, running the DVD drive.

Note that not all batteries will develop a shorter cycle. I don't remember the difference between the types. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on that.

As to the second question. If you use your laptop in places where power isn't an option very often, then I would look into the longer-life ones. It would definitely be worth it to me.

Eric the Grey
          the old ni-cad and ni-metal hydride batteries were the ones that got a bad memory issue. the li-ion batteries have less of an issue, but deep cycling the batteries like eric said should help alot. i would full drain 3 or 4 times to reverse the memory. and if you dont need the laptop for a long run just use the battery dont run it on the cord if you dont have to.
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you all for the excellent help. Unfortunately, my insurance (that I only recently remembered I had) doesn't cover batteries, but I'll just search online for a new one.

Many Thanks.
            "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Working...
            X